Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

High miles

Search this Thread

Old 5/22/16, 05:12 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
That's because you live in frickin' Iowa!

We had an opportunity to move to Iowa twice in recent years for considerably more money. We turned it down both times, in large part due to other reasons, but the weather also played a role. Couldn't stand living somewhere that I HAD to garage the Shelby for any length of time.

Regarding driving it, no it's not a 15k miles/year car, but it's over 17k at under four years of ownership, and I both drive it on the street and track it. Driving it is more entertaining than sitting in front of the tv. More than going to a movie. More than surfing the net. I pull it out and drive it to relieve stress, to hear it, to row the gears, to put a smile on my face, there are all kinds of reasons to drive a car like these. Looking at it in the garage is not like driving it on an on-ramp in 2nd at 70mph.
I agree. What the heck am I doing in Iowa . Yes it was the money lol
Old 5/22/16, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 81k miles on my '11 and let me tell you Guys. Driving it everyday has long paid off. I could not imagine not driving this every day. When someone rearended my car it was in the shop for 2 weeks and having a rental was miserable, the moment I got my car back I reached the speed limit fairly quickly and went passed it a few mphs when I got on freeway. 😏

If you enjoy driving it those chances you get to imagine what an everyday ride is going to do
Old 5/22/16, 05:51 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought mine new in November of 2012: 3 and a half years and almost 73000 miles later, driven daily in all conditions, 18 more payments and she is mine.
Old 5/22/16, 06:25 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
I have low miles on Marilyn not because I "want" to, purposely. I have low miles on her because I don't drive her that much, mostly due to weather and time. I rarely drive her to work, if at all anymore - the douches parked over there are enough to make me cringe. Pair that with the weather we've been having here, she gets maybe a couple hundred miles a month tops.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, ...........................this sounds familiar. lol
Mostly time is an issue for me. Bodybuilding takes up time, but not much, after work and then life happens. lol Obviously, weather is a huge part as well for me. Winters suck here. It's a good 3-4 months before all the snow/salt/sand is gone sometimes.
Old 5/23/16, 06:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Noilly Pratt

My take on it? Don't be a curator for a museum piece for the next owner to enjoy - get out there and enjoy it and make some memories.
These are words of wisdom.
Having watched several beloved "daily drivers" degrade week over week, this is a tough pill to swallow...but I think it's the right one.
Old 5/23/16, 12:00 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I love my 14 GT. Does it bother me that it gets dirty, can get a rock chip or two? You bet it does... but do you know what bothers me more? Not driving this beauty everyday to work and back. Cars are meant to be driven, drive it until the wheels fall off and get another one... I bet you'll love the next mustang you get as much as this one... or if you really, really love it.. just make it your future project car once she gets to old to be driven everyday..
Old 5/24/16, 06:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernStang79
I love my 14 GT. Does it bother me that it gets dirty, can get a rock chip or two? You bet it does... but do you know what bothers me more? Not driving this beauty everyday to work and back. Cars are meant to be driven, drive it until the wheels fall off and get another one... I bet you'll love the next mustang you get as much as this one... or if you really, really love it.. just make it your future project car once she gets to old to be driven everyday..
I hear you on this...but take it from those of us who live in the "great salty north," using up a car means that there's nothing left to mod as a project car. Salt-induced rust is what claims daily drivers up here.

Once you have it in your head that you're not going to drive your muscle car through the salt, the idea of driving it in other unfavorable conditions also seems unappealing.
Old 5/24/16, 01:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My 14 GT is my fair weather car but I understand both sides of the argument. I only have 20,600 miles on it in almost three years and while I love driving it, I also like the fact that I'm not piling a ton of miles on it. My daily drive is about 65 miles so if this was a DD, I would have a ton of miles on it already
Old 5/24/16, 05:46 PM
V6 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Ditto
Old 5/25/16, 11:45 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's because you live in frickin' Iowa! We had an opportunity to move to Iowa twice in recent years for considerably more money. We turned it down both times, in large part due to other reasons, but the weather also played a role. Couldn't stand living somewhere that I HAD to garage the Shelby for any length of time. Regarding driving it, no it's not a 15k miles/year car, but it's over 17k at under four years of ownership, and I both drive it on the street and track it. Driving it is more entertaining than sitting in front of the tv. More than going to a movie. More than surfing the net. I pull it out and drive it to relieve stress, to hear it, to row the gears, to put a smile on my face, there are all kinds of reasons to drive a car like these. Looking at it in the garage is not like driving it on an on-ramp in 2nd at 70mph.
Couldn't agree more. I drive a Prius as a commuter to work 5 days a week, so by the time I get home I'm more than ready to get into the stang. Usually take the long route to the gym after work just to drive it, great stress relief. The initial start up, take off, and going through the gears puts a good smile on my face!

Last edited by SONICBOOST; 5/25/16 at 11:58 AM.
Old 5/26/16, 08:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Noilly Pratt
Before my Mustang, I had a sporty Japanese car that I had this dilemma with too. I bought it new in 1992. I loved the driving experience but with my commute (80km a day) I thought would kill it quick.

Getting a 2nd car was out of the question, so I kept it and maintained it well. I had people thinking it was an almost new car even though I took it to 320,000 kms from 1992 - 2015. I waxed it once a year without fail, kept it clean and tidy, and maintained it. I had the enjoyment of many road trips, going from a single dude still living at home to a married guy with now a teenage daughter.

Both my wife and daughter misted up when it was finally hauled away on a flatbed -- it needed a computer and a fuel pump. And the computer "blow up" fried a lot of other electrical components -- to repair it was cost-prohibitive and the parts after so many years were nearly non-existent. And it was time and enough money to get this car, the car I always wanted.

My take on it? Don't be a curator for a museum piece for the next owner to enjoy - get out there and enjoy it and make some memories.
What car was this? Do you have any pictures? I love 90's Japanese sports cars
Old 5/26/16, 05:53 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
I was out driving it last night on the loop around the city, and ran into a brand new Charger SRT. He got uppity and wanted to run, I pulled up beside him, pointed out my driver window down to the emblem on the front fender so he could see it. He looked at it, laughed, waved and decided he didn't want to play anymore.

Ran into another guy in a c6 corvette, modified by the sound of it. I was down in 4th at 75, so I was around 2900-3000 rpm having some fun and listening to the exhaust when I pull up beside him. Not interested in racing, so I don't rev when I run into cars like that on the highway. He honks his horn to get my attention, I roll down my window and he gives me a peace sign. I returned it, went on and pulled off to turn around. I notice he follows me off the ramp, so I pull into a strip mall at the intersection. He pulls up next to my parking spot and gets out, asks me what my license plate means. I laugh and tell him, we talk for about ten minutes, tells me it's always good to see guys out enjoying their cars, no matter what they are. Nicest vette driver I ever met, and his was built for tracking and performance.

That stuff doesn't happen if I'm sitting on my *** getting fat watching the Voice eating chips.
Old 5/27/16, 06:16 AM
I Have No Life

I was out driving it last night on the loop around the city, and ran into a brand new Charger SRT. He got uppity and wanted to run, I pulled up beside him, pointed out my driver window down to the emblem on the front fender so he could see it. He looked at it, laughed, waved and decided he didn't want to play anymore.

Ran into another guy in a c6 corvette, modified by the sound of it. I was down in 4th at 75, so I was around 2900-3000 rpm having some fun and listening to the exhaust when I pull up beside him. Not interested in racing, so I don't rev when I run into cars like that on the highway. He honks his horn to get my attention, I roll down my window and he gives me a peace sign. I returned it, went on and pulled off to turn around. I notice he follows me off the ramp, so I pull into a strip mall at the intersection. He pulls up next to my parking spot and gets out, asks me what my license plate means. I laugh and tell him, we talk for about ten minutes, tells me it's always good to see guys out enjoying their cars, no matter what they are. Nicest vette driver I ever met, and his was built for tracking and performance.

That stuff doesn't happen if I'm sitting on my *** getting fat watching the Voice eating chips.
lol... good excerpts here. Although the fact that you mentioned specifically the Voice, means you probably watch the Voice.

Old 5/27/16, 11:10 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
lol... good excerpts here. Although the fact that you mentioned specifically the Voice, means you probably watch the Voice.

LMAO!!!
Old 5/27/16, 07:22 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

The wife does. Can't get it out of my head.
Old 6/21/16, 12:25 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
What car was this? Do you have any pictures? I love 90's Japanese sports cars
It was a 1992 Nissan NX 2000. I put a JDM replacement engine in it about 6 years ago and probably added about 50hp to the already 140 with various mods over the years.

Old 6/21/16, 02:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
haha nice! I had a 1991 Celica GT as my first car, and I loved it despite it being no faster than a Honda Civic. The 90's were a great time for sports cars
Old 6/21/16, 03:14 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
haha nice! I had a 1991 Celica GT as my first car, and I loved it despite it being no faster than a Honda Civic. The 90's were a great time for sports cars
I miss my 93RX7.
Old 6/22/16, 12:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I miss my 93RX7.
That's one of my dream cars. I had a 84 rx7. Lol, that's as close as I got. I think all of the rx7s were pretty awesome, yours being the very best.
Old 6/23/16, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2014 GT w/about 6K miles on it......purchased it, deployed for 6 months. Got back, then got hit up with a 1 year deployment. As soon as I get back, I'm going to drive that thing until the wheels come off!

Quick Reply: High miles