Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2011 Mustang Paint Blistering

Search this Thread

Old 3/11/15, 02:07 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CriticalmassGT
Folks, if you have been denied warranty coverage and Deysha was not able to successfully have this issue resolved for you (or it was repainted/replaced and the issue came back), there is another option now. The below attorney has filed a class action lawsuit against ford for this specific issue on behalf of two mustang owners. He is looking for more people who have gone through the ringer and haven't had a successful resolution.

I'm only posting this because I think Ford should permanently fix the issue. in the end it hurts their brand image to have cars running around with what looks like car-herpes on the aluminum.

http://www.sommerspc.com/en/people/l....aspx?ORID=192
Guys, park your car at or near the local Ford dealership with large signs
"DON'T BUY FORD!!"
"COME LOOK AT MY CAR"
I guarantee you they will want you to go away and quick.
You will get your hood painted or get a cease and desist order to be near the dealership (possibly).
Also, go to the local Newspaper and TV station lots and do the same thing with the signs and they will report it most likely.
Park it at the local mall on a busy day too...it will get attention.

If Ford wants to hang you all out to dry for a known issue that shouldn't happen in the first place then hurt them in the pocketbook the same way they are hurting you.
It is absolutely disgraceful for a company the size of Ford to be acting like douchebags in this way.
Fridges get painted better than mustang hoods.

Last edited by 2007s197; 3/11/15 at 02:08 PM.
Old 3/11/15, 07:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Yeah, good luck with that. In order:

You will get a cease and desist order. No paint.

You might get 5 minutes on the TV and then... that'll be that.

You will be told in no uncertain terms to leave the private property that is the mall.

And finally, while you may have done something that appeases you in some way, you haven't furthered the cause of us that drive, own, and love Mustangs, but are causing others to think "Mustang rabble. They're the ones who are also running over people street racing, right?" or something to that effect.

You want to do this right, you get a lawyer and sue. You contact this Larry and you add your name to the list. And you do it beyond Mustang, for it is not the only one. You get Ford to address your problem in the courts, which directly hits their pocketbooks for the fight.

The problem is... someone on OUR side has to pay for it as well.

Is it worth the money that you can get your hood repainted to 'fix' Ford?

That is the dilemma. That is the choice you make.

I am going to spend my money on a new hood (I think the Cervini '95 R hood for 05-09 Mustangs is the one for Awesome, myself) and get it fitted and painted and finally put the irritation that is the Mustang Hood Paint Scandal behind me.

I get a better lookin' hood, and I won't have to EVER repaint it. Ostensibly, barring an incident... and I'm also going to get it painted at a place that'll honor the work *forever*. Because that's what they said. We'll see how that holds up, but still. That's my plan. Spend the money where I'll be done with it, instead of spend it in a court and on a lawyer that I probably won't.

But hey, good dang luck to y'all who wanna do something righteous or whatever. If you win, make sure we all get compensated the value of one (1) hood repaint, done correctly and with stripping to metal and reconditioning of the hood. Regardless of whether we need the repaint, for in my case, I would only get a portion of what I spent to fix it myself.

---

Also, Ford are not 'douchebags'. They are a business and things happen. They have repainted and even replaced for those who were afflicted and were so under warranty.

Other companies are just as 'douchebaggy' as they are. Name one that isn't that's in their class of manufacture and output. There isn't one that's not on the same list.

As far as fridge paint? What fridge goes around getting rock chips, bouncing around on the car, the temperature swings, the general abuse that automobiles would go through? A fridge sits there in (usually) a temperature controlled house, not getting beat the hell up, having to deal with all the things a car's panels have to. They aren't painted any differently, they are in a better situation, and aren't aluminum.

An *airplane* is painted better. But that is going to drive the cost of the paint up by a lot of money, for no airplane is dipped, it is shot *by hand*, and they don't ship out a few hundred paint jobs a day.

Get a grip, man. Slow your roll. It's a problem, but geez.

Last edited by houtex; 3/11/15 at 07:37 PM.
Old 3/12/15, 08:43 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
My 2014 has spots under the hood and my dealer said to bring it in when I feel it's bad enough to repair. This is my 3rd s197 with this issue.
Old 3/12/15, 08:46 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
I'm going to be pissed if I need to go a second round with this issue. I'm going to check my car before the weekend to see if it's back. I wouldn't go near the new F150 if I was looking for a truck.

Last edited by VidPro; 3/12/15 at 08:48 AM.
Old 3/12/15, 09:54 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by VidPro
I'm going to be pissed if I need to go a second round with this issue. I'm going to check my car before the weekend to see if it's back. I wouldn't go near the new F150 if I was looking for a truck.
It will return in less than a year.
Old 3/12/15, 09:55 AM
Legacy Tms Member

It probably will since my luck is no luck but are you saying that even if my shop did a good job it doesn't matter?
Old 3/12/15, 10:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yep. You have a good chance of that coming back because of the nature of the problem. I'd say at lest a 25% if not a 50% depending on the shop.

Unless the shop did *all* the things to properly clean and prep the surface, and use good *etch* primer, then the same problems that happened before will show up again somewhere. That's the nature of the aluminum panels and paint.

It may partially be the type of aluminum alloy Ford's using, but... yes, once it's started it's hard to stop. Unlike steel, which if you arrest the problem, and plastic, both of which if you then properly prep it, stuff'll stick, so a second go 'round won't have the problem come back.

That is unless something traumatic happens. Bending is a good way to get paint to unstick anything, after all.

Here's to yours not coming back though!

---

There is one consideration about the aluminum F150. Those who buy it to 'show and go', yes, that paint's going to be an issue.

Those who buy it as a "wrap it in advertising for business" or "Need work truck" won't care as much. It's a truck, and they'll be replacing it at some point with a newer one, or they'll use the hell out of it and the paint is just sort of there. Or not, depending on if it sticks...

The advantage in the work truck aspect is that it's a *work truck.* And while true it'd be nice if the thing didn't have the paint fall off, the fact that the aluminum won't perforate, so the panel will *always be there* is an advantage that steel doesn't have. Sure, it'll look less attractive, but once the aluminum oxidized it is *protecting itself.*

Unlike most steels. Most steels when oxidation happens they fall apart and perforate. Exceptions include the steel used in the flyovers on big exchanges these days. That steel is made to rust and then it's a protection coating.

So while some would be all up in arms about their truck's paint... some probably won't care, and go buy some rattle cans and just keep it looking okish, 'cause it ain't gonna fall apart.

I, by the way, would be in the latter category. Issa truck. It's supposed to be used as a truck.

For whatever my thought on that is worth.

/ooh, one wonders if a person peeling an advertising wrap off an F150 will have paint come off too...

Last edited by houtex; 3/12/15 at 10:46 AM.
Old 3/12/15, 11:10 AM
SVS
V6 Member

Originally Posted by TheReaper
It will return in less than a year.

Mine came back,
Old 3/12/15, 02:36 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Bummer.

I took the cover of my car for the first time since November. I did not look under the hood since I did not have my keys. I need to wait for a warm day before I completely take the cover off and give it a wash but I'm hoping for the best but assuming the worst.

If if this problem crops up again this summer I will definitely replace the hood but it would be nice if Ford ponied up the cash for the paint. I know that would never happen but it's nice to dream.
Old 3/13/15, 09:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
An organized lawsuit is the best chance we have of ever getting something out of Ford so contact the attorney guys! http://www.sommerspc.com/blog/2014/0...way-corrosion/
Old 3/13/15, 09:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I need a [Delete] button for me sometimes. Sorry. This post isn't here, move along, my bad...

Last edited by houtex; 3/13/15 at 09:57 PM.
Old 3/17/15, 08:12 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have a newer car, hold off as long as you can and then find a dealer with a body shop that has set up an aluminum body-work booth. Ford is subsidizing them by offering 10k to dealerships and sub-contractors (total cost is about 30k). They are doing this for the F-150, but we can take advantage of it too, This cost includes training of the techs on how to handle aluminum and keeping the room clean from iron contaminates.

The dealers themselves are very leary of the F-150 all-aluminum body because of the issues they have seen on other Ford vehicles with Aluminum hoods. The new 2015 Mustang I believe has not only the hood, but the fenders and trunk as well.

If they can't get it right, joining the class action lawsuit will be the only way to make Ford fix the issue.... This is not a recall issue (recalls are for safety issues), so the only way to get this fixed is to scream loud and hard with attorneys and hope it makes national news so Ford will cave and offer a permanent fix.

I don't know about you, but a fiberglass hood is a lot heavier than aluminum, and Carbon Fiber is something like a 2k investment for just the hood without painting, and having bought some carbon fiber parts, I have not been real happy with fitment from the aftermarket scene. I think quality has gone into the dumper in the last 20 years in the 3rd party retailers attempt to cash in. Plus, I happen to like the stock hood just fine. my only wish is that they made Carbon Fiber heat extractors that A: Fit Well, and B: Had mesh over the extractor openings to keep people from dropping **** into the engine bay. In fact I'm waiting on a refund from American Muscle right now on the Wheel spoke inserts because they were poorly made and did not "snap" into place properly, leaving about a half inch gap on the back side of the insert between it and the steering wheel backing after I was reassured that this latest batch would fit. Sigh.

It's a shame that more mustang clubs across America are not grouping together to tackle this issue and file more lawsuits in their states. The MCA itself seems to be down-playing the issue, which is a shame.

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 3/17/15 at 08:31 AM.
Old 3/19/15, 04:02 PM
GT Member

Well, Ford has left me empty handed on ANY compensation whatsoever for the hood corrosion on my wife's 2010 Mustang with only 35,000 miles. Correspondence with customer service on this site has been excellent. No complaints there. In the end my Ford dealer, where the Mustang was purchased new, and Ford Canada have washed their hands clean on the issue both citing Fords corrosion warranty to the letter. As once mentioned, the most frustrating thing in all of this is that this hood corrosion issue has been a problem for so many years and should have been corrected long ago. Until I save the funds to remedy this properly, I have to explain to neighbors and folks at cruise nights what is happening to this hood.
Again, as once mentioned, Ford factors in disenchanted customers and is prepared for the repercussions. Not an appropriate way to deal with a common defect. In my case the repercussion is a lost customer on our next new vehicle purchase. While Ford was a contender in our next full size car, we're considering eliminating it as an option.
With a delicate economic climate, I hope Ford's all aluminum 2015 F150 doesn't have any of these corrosion issues for the sake of the company and it's employees.
Old 3/20/15, 06:56 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Rjager0216
See attached pics.
if THAT is upsetting, hate to be bearer of bad news...open your hood and look up

this bovine fecal matter started from the hems on every one ive seen, even new ones at the auto shows, and my 4 mile undriven virgin 09. these hoods were doomed the day they were crimped together...

if you dont think your hood has it, youre not looking close enough or incredibly lucky

the hood top panel is stamped from a sheet and trimmed...if you have ever used a metal shear, you will relate- when you shear metal, a burr will ALWAYS be pulled on one side of the cut, kinda like a tiny curled razor lip, maybe only a few thou high, but always sharp enough to lay a hand to the bone if you dont have gloves on...its nature of the beast when dealing with sheared metal. that hood top has a flange around it. a structural panel is stamped/sheared without a flange, the two get stacked into a rolling or pressing machine to fold the top flange over the structural panel. both pieces I would hope are ecoated before assembly, maybe after...

before OR after though, what happens to that sharp sheared edge when pressed under high tonnage into that structural panel?

I personally have never seen how they assemble these panels, but in my thinking, no matter what, that sharp edge is going to be pressed or rolled into the underside of that structural panel- no ifs-ands-or buts...

I can only think of four possibilities:

1) that sharp edge would HAVE to cut into any coating that might possibly be on the structural panel unless that coating is softer than the metal- agreed?

2) if uncoated, then that tiny sharp edge just cuts into the panel a little/flattens a little, right?

3)if a 'buffer' material, like a tape, were applied before crimp, then the burr would either have room from the few thou of clearance provided by the buffer thickness- right?

4) or if the buffer were wide enough, the burr would just sink into it and be sealed- I think most would agree this would be the ideal scenario...

#1 and #2 options leave a sharp surface cut or smooshed unreachable inner edge, either will likely not be 100% moisture proof. doomed.

#3 leaves a hanging sharp edge, with no way of painting the underside/backside of the burr...dipping could maybe get it, but in such a small space, easily a bubble could be in there...only talking a couple thou gap... shy of putting in a vacuum chamber, doubt 100% sealing would ever be possible...doomed

#4 would capture the sharp edge, sounds good- but requires that 100% of the edge has that buffer extending past it enough that production variations would still insure the full edge always bites into it- meaning there would be a 'line' around the entire hem...my mercury door hems have something around the edges, under the crimp, hanging out maybe 1/8" past... Mustang does not have this on any ive seen, so assume thats not the case.

lastly, EVEN if the type4 process were used, there is STILL the CUT edge itself- not the burr on one side, but the very perimeter edge of that top flange where it was cut...any surface coatings the raw sheet had are not on that little .025" thick edge, its just whatever alloy the hood is with nothing on it- barring fords 'iron contamination' where trimming dies deposited tiny amounts of dissimilar metals from the shearing, leading to galvanic corrosion...

folks that havent read up on galvanic corrosion,I'm no expert for sure, but my take on it from a lot of reading, its simple- put dissimilar metals in electrical contact with each other and just moisture in the air is enough to start problems- the 'less noble' the metal will always become charged with a tiny electrical charge causing it to become more reactive than the more noble metal... sit a small piece of magnesium on a carbon sheet it will disintegrate in days... gas lines in your yard have zinc or magnesium blocks attached- the blocks corrode and while doing so protect the pipe...put a little iron dust on aluminum, get it the least bit of moisture, the aluminum will corrode to protect the more noble iron dust...weird.
Ford initially (think it was back in 06-07) blamed the hood failures on the 'iron contamination'. reason I just cant believe it, the corrosion RACES once it gets started, races across surfaces that never woulda had iron contamination... they only/always start from that sheared edge or underneath it.

I still think the only way this issue will ever end will be to crimp the panels any freaking way they want to, but do NOT crimp the edge, leave it like a 'open hem' on a GM door, with the very edge curled up- but dont leave it open: put a nice full/continuous bead of sealer like hyundai does around the whole thing... the sealer is more flexible than paint 100x thicker and structurally adds to the integrity of the two panels to aid in preventing shifting from heat cycling- plus it just looks decent.

Ford today has the absolute sloppiest seams on the market. we were at the cleveland auto show a week ago, while Ford has improved SOME areas of mustang hoods compared to examples displayed at the 13 and 14 shows, they are still the sloppiest looking seems out there overall in my opinion.. and I mean not even close to the next worse we saw at the show.
I'm a ford guy, but am going to hold their feet to the fire on this crap until i see door/hood edges that look as good as everyone elses. Far too many paid good money for a mustang, and most mustangs i'd bet are 'more than a commodity car' to most buyers...we buy these cars because we are fans, love the look/sound/handling... and when no amount of care, let alone beyond reasonable care (my freaking 09 has NEVER EVER EVER EVER seen the freaking road- inside/under a shelby 600.00 cover with 4 miles on it) can keep the paint on the car, it is just assinine for Ford not to expect catching flak over this stoooooopid issue.

the factory has screwed up these hoods since 2005 first came out and I'm still reading about 2013/14 owners having issues?

Auto show cars have absolutely birdcrap sealant in areas?

the latest/greatest F150??? have you seen the pics of the 'workmanship' I got of THOSE aluminum hemmed edges?

look thru the auto show folders in here- https://www.flickr.com/photos/83232178@N06/sets/

sorry, but some idiot like me shouldnt be ABLE to find a single 'oops' in a brand new bread and butter Ford product at a international auto show- let alone dozens or hundreds of pics from three years in a row.

I'm more pissed every day, not about my three hood failures, but about what looks like far inferior care being taken at assembly of 'my brand'. I want Ford to be the best or darn close too it- letting this stuff degrade a decade at least while knowing of 'mastic boilout', 'ecoat boilout', 'iron contamination' , God knows how many other excuses folks in here have been told, and STILL declining to fix them if unnoticed a day or a mile after 3/36??? they KNOW its their process/their problem/ and dont quite happen overnight... yet leave loyal buyers out in the cold on it soon as warranty is over- leaving owners with a 5 yr perforation only warranty that is exactly 100% absolutely useless.

I actually feel bad for dealers- they take the brunt of the flak, having to explain to a proud mustang owner that its a well known/common issue, but ford wont cover it- or maybe worse, ford saying 'fix it' and the inaccessible corrosion under the hem returns with a vengeance in a year, making the dealers body shop look totally inept to the customer... ford should man up, if a otherwise well cared for car starts shedding paint because of their flawed process at (at least) 5 years, the junk hood should be thrown in the trash(or shipped directlyto the guy in charge of hood quality) and replaced with a nicely hemmed/sealed/painted one- this is a HUGE problem, if ford did a small line to just seal/paint new hoods and ship finished direct to dealers, 99.9% of folks would be ok with the color match, and the dealer swap would be a 15 minute job tops- I know, the kids and I just put the wifes 07 hood back on again 2 nights ago- this time I think I made it worse...oh well, already have two more fiberglass hoods out there in boxes, just painting is a pain...

I truly hope if that stoopid class action thing makes a bunch of lawyers richer, it also required ford to replace every single hood made since S197 came out, I would serve them right- honestly, I really doubt Bill Ford or Mark Fields, or other top level guys have been fully in the loop on this issue, heads shoulda rolled years ago, hoods shoulda been replaced, Ford should be doing what they do best- making good product. I really think theres been a lot of smoke blown up a few rearends saying 'we got this' while hiding the extent of the issue- it shows in todays auto show hem quality- NOT GOOD ENOUGH GUYS.

Last edited by ford4v429; 3/20/15 at 07:30 PM.
Old 3/20/15, 08:09 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
At this rate, it will take no complaints, for Ford generally isn't budging on this. They've pretty much taken a 'did it last through the warranty? Then our job is done! Movin' on...' attitude about it.

Your best bet again is to get it repainted by a facility that knows how to paint it, or replace it with one that's more amenable to being painted in the first place.

---

Regarding the all aluminum F-150... the amount of steel vs aluminum might just abate some of the corrosion issues. The other part is that they aren't going to be dunking assembled steel and aluminum chassis and bodies into the same tanks, so any contamination from the steel won't be had, ostensibly.

I daresay that after thinking about it quite a bit, regardless of my previous posts about how the paint's going to fall off... they might actually have a chance at having sticking paint on the F-150, due to the fact that it is *all* aluminum, and not just the hoods.

Time will tell on that, of course.

Houtex, heres some pics from the auto show of some interesting areas on the new F150s...

these two pics (oddly same bolt-different trucks) sure looked familiar to me... the other 4 trucks on display were fine around bolts, except the white one/passenger side had a little strip of bare/primer showing and wrench marks on the bolt- but zero sign of corrosion...was still paint flakes by the bolt though, so it mighta only been a few days since tightened... wondering if maybe they are redjusting fender to hood gap after paint, and the retichtening is cutting thru paint starting the corrosion under the bolt... thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails 2011 Mustang Paint Blistering-f150-bubblingsmall.jpg   2011 Mustang Paint Blistering-f150-bubbling2small.jpg  
Old 3/24/15, 09:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I dunno, I have a guy that I work with, he had a Chevy Silverado and I've lost track on how many times he's complained in having to pay an $800 repair bills having sensors replaced on his truck!

Worst case scenario, if ford won't do anything for you, the best thing that you can do is just take it to a body shop and will provide you with lifetime warranty on any repair work done.

Fortunately I have a shop local to me (Golden Triangle) and they offer lifetime warranty on any work on any vehicle (as long as you still own the vehicle)

that's likely what I would do. pay to have it fixed once, for life.
Old 3/24/15, 06:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The body shop may warrant the spot they fixed but it will pop up somewhere else.
I had mine repainted last year by Ford, and I just found more corrosion in a different spot. I caught it before it made it to the top of the hood, but I still had to pay a body shop to fix it this time since the warranty is up. I can't blame the body shop if it comes back in a different spot.

Last edited by 88lx50; 3/24/15 at 06:22 PM.
Old 3/24/15, 06:16 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
I dunno, I have a guy that I work with, he had a Chevy Silverado and I've lost track on how many times he's complained in having to pay an $800 repair bills having sensors replaced on his truck!

Worst case scenario, if ford won't do anything for you, the best thing that you can do is just take it to a body shop and will provide you with lifetime warranty on any repair work done.

Fortunately I have a shop local to me (Golden Triangle) and they offer lifetime warranty on any work on any vehicle (as long as you still own the vehicle)

that's likely what I would do. pay to have it fixed once, for life.
Thanks JoeMidnight I'll keep that shop in mind. I'm not too far away that I could make the trip.
Old 3/24/15, 06:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I took mine to Ford last Monday for three spots that have blistered up on the hood. I have not heard back from them yet. If Ford refuses to fix the issue I'll be done with them as a company. I've had too many Fords with too many issues and too much crappy service to keep on giving them chances.
Old 3/24/15, 06:42 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 88lx50
A body shop will not warrant the problem. It is not their fault if the corrosion continues.
I had mine repainted last year by Ford, and I just found more corrosion. I caught it before it made it to the top of the hood, but I still had to pay a body shop to fix it this time since the warranty is up. I can't blame the body shop if it comes back in a different spot.
Well, in my case, the hood on my wife's Mustang is "pooched"!! Corrosion will only reappear after a repaint. There is a speed shop that has inventory on factory hoods where customers swap out the original for aftermarket. Of course the shop had many colors but mine. if there is stock on a corrosion free hood, I'll buy it and repaint it. No urgency at this point. Plan "B" is an aftermarket hood....if my wife can find one that she likes.... Lol

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang Paint Blistering