GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Race Ramps Or scissor Lift

Search this Thread

Old 2/27/08, 06:55 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Race Ramps Or scissor Lift

Looking for something to get access to the underside of the cars.
Whats the experience with these products?

Old 2/27/08, 08:00 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have contemplated the scissor lift myself, looks like a valid alternative to having a real lift, but i am not sure what others have thought. the race ramps look like a good idea, but i would want a way to have the wheels off myself.
Old 2/27/08, 09:14 AM
Cobra Member

Many guys who do the "do-it-yourself" jobs in the garage have gone with the ramps. I personally did and I have been able to do full exhaust, including headers in my garage
Old 2/27/08, 09:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just looking at that scissor jack you aren't going to have much access to the underside of the car....for doing and Oil change or changing tires it looks like it would work fine....but forget changing the clutch, or drive shaft, or exhaust.
Old 2/27/08, 01:29 PM
GT Member

Wow, I was just thinking about this...

Here's another option. I'm leaning towards getting these...any opinions?
Attached Images    
Old 2/27/08, 01:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Where did you find those, Wayne?
Old 2/27/08, 01:54 PM
GT Member

Sorry I left out the link...my bad.

http://www.kwiklift.com/
Old 2/27/08, 03:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Nice but a little pricey. Blitz Rhinoramps are about $33.00 and hold up to 8,000 lbs if you want something to just drive up on.
Old 2/27/08, 03:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, is it just me, or do those scissorlifts look frighteningly unstable? Not the height, but the base of contact on the ground is quite a bit narrower than the wheel dimensions.... I bet you could just push that thing over with a firm shove on the side of the vehicle....

Those garage ramps look nice WayneA, but what's wrong with a high quality set of dual-locking jackstands?
Old 2/27/08, 06:18 PM

Kwiklift works great
Attached Thumbnails Race Ramps Or scissor Lift-mustang-lift-004.jpg   Race Ramps Or scissor Lift-lift-016.jpg  
Old 2/27/08, 06:34 PM
Cobra R Member

is there a way to jack the car up for suspension work on the quiklift?
Old 2/27/08, 06:39 PM

I have that exact scissors lift that I have used for the last 3 years....It is great for wheel and brake work, oil changes, rear end work. To do anything that is in the middle of the car like trannys, driveshafts it is very tight. I use the 6 inch extensions off the lift arms when I have to do middle of the car stuff. That gets the car an additional 6 inches off the lift frame rails for clearance. I also use it in a garage with a normal height roof so I cant get at its full 52" extension without the roof of the car hitting the garage door opener motor. I paid about 900 off of ebay and had to pay shipping. The thing weighs 1000 lbs. and is tough to move around if your floor is not flat. All in all I am happy with the lift cause it gets me off the floor for most of what I do with the car... By the way, I never felt that it was unstable or that it was dangerous to be under it......I keep rememberin stuff to tell you...My car is lowered and I had to buy 2x10x12 boards to lay next to the collapsed lift so I can drive up on them and clear the lift. Thats not so bad cause I pretty much store my car during the winter and the tires are on the wood instead of the concrete floor. I did about 6 engine changes on my 93GT when I was racing and the lift was almost essential to do that. It was a great help to be able to move the car up and down to get to stuff from the top and then the bottom..... Cant do that with ramps....I also was able to totally modiy my 93s suspension on this lift.. I put a maximummotorsports torque arm on using the lift and removed the t-5 three times for rebuild. The crossmembers of the lift actually helped somewhat cause I used a small hydro jack on them to help get the heavy parts out. Hopefully this helps...Gary A
Old 2/27/08, 07:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Dixie_Flatline
Wow, is it just me, or do those scissorlifts look frighteningly unstable? Not the height, but the base of contact on the ground is quite a bit narrower than the wheel dimensions.... I bet you could just push that thing over with a firm shove on the side of the vehicle....

Those garage ramps look nice WayneA, but what's wrong with a high quality set of dual-locking jackstands?
see how much farther off the ground the car gets with the lift, any of them. thats why its nicer than jack stands.
Old 2/27/08, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

hey RONALD what are the rims on the mustang ? look like hre rims
Old 2/27/08, 08:35 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Cheese302
is there a way to jack the car up for suspension work on the quiklift?
They have that covered with a $125 option called a “Centerlift Bridge.” Still a bit pricey, the thing costs as much as a scissor lift. That’s why I haven’t bought one yet. I’m still debating.
Attached Images    
Old 3/1/08, 01:48 PM

the rims are le collection lm
As far as the lift looked a long time before i bought the kwiklift
it works great and you can change tires and i just changed out my H pipe and installed a Ford Performance X pipe and had plenty of room
Old 3/2/08, 08:41 AM
V6 Member

Thanks Guys,
Great info, I'm between scissors and quiklift.

Anythings better then what I'm using now, gas tank welding is tough with out the right lift...

Old 3/2/08, 11:51 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Steved
Thanks Guys,
Great info, I'm between scissors and quiklift.

Anythings better then what I'm using now, gas tank welding is tough with out the right lift...

Ive seen this before but it's still funnier than ****!!
Old 10/21/11, 01:51 AM

Thank you for your informative article and discussion. I have been looking for information on access equipment and in particular a scissor lift and boom lift. This discussion has solved my concerns. I am very grateful.
Old 10/21/11, 07:15 AM
V6 Member

How do you get the car in off the ground with the quick lift? Still need a jack I assume?

Quick Reply: Race Ramps Or scissor Lift