GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Ford Racing Ford Racing Part# M-5230-GTA

Search this Thread

Old 7/1/06, 10:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Racing Ford Racing Part# M-5230-GTA

Has anyone heard the above axleback from ford racing? Saw these on ebay and thought the price and the look was good. Any input on this system?

thanks

Sam
Attached Images  
Old 7/1/06, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you look here: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/search.php?searchid=55568
Old 7/2/06, 12:12 AM
Cobra Member

AHA! Those are the mysterious Hertz Shelby mufflers I've been wondering about. I wonder who they are made by?

Don, your link isn't working.
Old 7/2/06, 01:28 AM

I was under the impression thats the part number for the quieter version of the FRPP/Borla axlebacks.
Old 7/2/06, 01:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sams66
Has anyone heard the above axleback from ford racing?
I haven't heard these personally, but I read that they're only slightly louder than stock.

What you need is a set of these...
Attached Thumbnails Ford Racing Ford Racing Part# M-5230-GTA-img_7420m.jpg   Ford Racing Ford Racing Part# M-5230-GTA-img_7403m.jpg  
Old 7/2/06, 02:05 AM

Yes, the M-5230-5GT is the louder "S" type.
Old 7/2/06, 05:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

check out this promo video they sound pretty good to me!

http://www.stangnet.com/Ford-Mustang...omo-Video.html

that is if they are the mufflers I think they are.

Sam
Old 7/2/06, 06:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

....also, where, who from for the cheapest price on these Kevin from TMS? Bleakley ford?

thanks

Sam
Old 7/2/06, 11:02 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by DUD121
I was under the impression thats the part number for the quieter version of the FRPP/Borla axlebacks.
No, the FRPP mufflers posted in this thread are definitely not the Borla oval can mufflers. Compare the pic here to the pic on Borla's web site:

http://www.borla.com/applications/lo...Section/11752/

Notice that the muffler shape is different and the tips are different as well. I do not recognize these FRPP mufflers. The louder FRPP mufflers are definitely Borla Stingers, but I haven't been able to figure out what these new ones are. They are the same mufflers that are on the Hertz Shelby, but that's all I know.
Old 7/2/06, 11:10 PM
Cobra Member

Here's a comparison shot between the Borlas and the new FRPPs....
Attached Thumbnails Ford Racing Ford Racing Part# M-5230-GTA-mufflers.jpg  
Old 7/2/06, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by sams66
....also, where, who from for the cheapest price on these Kevin from TMS? Bleakley ford?
Mine (M-5230-5GT) were $369 plus shipping from Downs Ford.
Old 7/3/06, 08:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by TacoBill
TacoBill is correct. The part number you have listed is only slightly louder than stock. You will want the louder "S Type". It is louder and very deep.
Old 7/3/06, 08:54 AM
Bullitt Member

So are yours the ones on the Shelby Hertz? If so, what is the outside diameter of the tips? Are they double-walled as they appear in the pics? Are the slant cut at the ends or just straight? I really like the looks of the Corsa tips (4" slant cut, double-walled, as they fill out the opening very well) but the prices they want are outrageous. So it looks like the Ford Racing mufflers from the Shelby Hertz would be a good alternative if the tips are the same size. Thanks in advance!
Old 7/3/06, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mustang Buster
So are yours the ones on the Shelby Hertz? If so, what is the outside diameter of the tips? Are they double-walled as they appear in the pics? Are the slant cut at the ends or just straight? I really like the looks of the Corsa tips (4" slant cut, double-walled, as they fill out the opening very well) but the prices they want are outrageous. So it looks like the Ford Racing mufflers from the Shelby Hertz would be a good alternative if the tips are the same size. Thanks in advance!
I doubt the Shelby Hertz uses the Stingers because they're 49 State legal.
Tips are 4" rolled.
The FRPP Stinger model is made by Borla.
Attached Thumbnails Ford Racing Ford Racing Part# M-5230-GTA-tip.jpg   Ford Racing Ford Racing Part# M-5230-GTA-rear1.jpg  
Old 7/3/06, 09:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the info Bill. Those Borla Stingers look great! Looks like the cutouts in the rear valance were made for 4" tips, anything else just looks too small IMHO. So are the Borla's lighter than the stock mufflers? I would think so since they are so much smaller. So to make sure I have it straight, it sounds like both the Hertz mufflers and the Borla's have 4" tips, but the Borla's are rolled and the Hertz are double-walled. Also, the Hertz mufflers look about the same size as the stock GT mufflers, so the Borla's I would think would be lighter than both the Hertz and stock. And as you mentioned, since the Borla's are only 49 state legal, I am sure they are pretty loud. Thanks again for the info, and great photo albums in your signature!
Old 7/3/06, 10:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mustang Buster,

I just got back from Pensacola. My company is opening an office in the region, very nice area. we do construction and related work for the Navy and Air Force world wide.

back to the mufflers, the add says the GTA mufflers have 4" tips as well. and I dont really want anything super loud, and love the sound of the shelby hertz that is why I am going to get them. My local FRP dealer said 270 out the door!

Sam
Old 7/3/06, 01:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Buster
So to make sure I have it straight, it sounds like both the Hertz mufflers and the Borla's have 4" tips, but the Borla's are rolled and the Hertz are double-walled. Also, the Hertz mufflers look about the same size as the stock GT mufflers, so the Borla's I would think would be lighter than both the Hertz and stock. And as you mentioned, since the Borla's are only 49 state legal, I am sure they are pretty loud.
Yes, that's correct. The Borla Stingers and the louder (non GTH) FRPP mufflers are exactly the same, so if you want to go that route you might want to check the pricing on the FRPP version since it's cheaper.

People keep talking about how quiet the new FRPP (GTH) mufflers are, but they are confusing them with the Borla oval can mufflers. They are NOT the same mufflers! So far, no one has been able to identify what the GTH mufflers are. The only way anyone would know how loud/ soft they are is if they've heard a GTH. I've listed to the commercial clip (in which Carroll is supposedly driving a GTH) and they definitely do not sound very loud in that clip. But it is hard to tell without actually hearing the car drive by.
Old 7/3/06, 01:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

doesnt it say in the add for the Hertz shelby that the parts are from fords new power pak and if that is correct then the mufflers in the power pak at the 5230-gta.

quoted from shelby's web site

Added “Goâ€
Ford Racing Performance Group is supplying its popular Power Pack (FR1) to add a genuine 25-horsepower Ford performance kick to the 300-horse Mustang GT 4.6L V-8/Five-speed automatic transmission powertrain and an increase of 10 lb.-ft. of torque. The package includes Ford Racing’s 90mm Cold Air kit, the Muffler Kit, a new X-pipe similar to the one used on the new Ford Shelby GT500 Mustang, a performance calibration and a cat-back performance exhaust for that throaty sound that will make this car unmistakably a Shelby Mustang GT-H.

Sam
Old 7/3/06, 01:34 PM

If anyone wants to duplicate a Shelby Hertz, you'd have to hear one in person or get an actual sound clip.

TV and movies are notorious for tweaking the actual sounds here and there for more audience impact. In short, what you hear on TV may not be what you get.
Old 7/3/06, 01:44 PM
Bullitt Member

If anyone wants to duplicate a Shelby Hertz, you'd have to hear one in person or get an actual sound clip.

TV and movies are notorious for tweaking the actual sounds here and there for more audience impact. In short, what you hear on TV may not be what you get.
Mine is a little nicer and better than taco bills exhaust. Oh wait a minute we have the same ones and he help me with the install.

Quick Reply: Ford Racing Ford Racing Part# M-5230-GTA