Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

One trashed Mustang and the power of Meguiars 205

Search this Thread

Old 8/25/14, 03:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys, that shop looks amazing, I can only imagine how well the car would look after the crew in Stoneham does a workup on it, now to schedule some time off from work...
Old 8/25/14, 06:55 PM
Detailing Guru

Can we go ahead and just sticky this thread?
Old 8/25/14, 08:28 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Agreed and great job. Guys, don't be afraid to pick up a DA polisher and go to work on your cars. Even on black they are really forgiving and get you great results. For cars not too far gone, a light polish and the right pad will do wonders without any real compounding. Tons of videos on YouTube will walk you right through the process. Without trying to cut too deep, it's really hard to mess your finish up with one of these polishers. After your car is done well, upkeep is a breeze. I was intimidated for a long time until I finally went for it. Don't let your cars get too far gone before you decide to do it the right way. Catch it before you have to spend multiple days correcting swirls.
Old 8/26/14, 11:01 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by mikenapoli
Thanks man. Buffer trails (or holograms) can be caused by a few issues. Generally they come from rotary polishers (I have only once seen them from a DA polisher, and this was on crazy soft paint.) being used with an overly aggressive pad and/or polish, with too much tilt to the pad, or with polishes that haven't broken down fully. Some polishes will fill in buffer trails, sometimes intentionally and sometimes not, and leave a surface that looks perfect but after a few washes, the fillers wash off showing the true condition. This is especially common with cheap detail jobs and body shop work. If buffer trails show up from your work, use a finer polish and finer pad to finish, use a DA polisher to finish with, and always inspect your work with something like Carpro Eraser, a wax/silicone remover like PrepAll, or diluted Isopropyl Alcohol. Hope this helps.
It's been a bit since I posted that, I no longer see them, so I'm thinking maybe it was some dirt/oily grime that was playing a bit of tricks on my eyes. It's amazing what a pair of polarized lenses do on some surfaces. But the advice is still much appreciated.
Old 8/27/14, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by MarcHarris
Can we go ahead and just sticky this thread?
Lol, thanks buddy! Glad to finally catch up with you a little last week!

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Agreed and great job. Guys, don't be afraid to pick up a DA polisher and go to work on your cars. Even on black they are really forgiving and get you great results. For cars not too far gone, a light polish and the right pad will do wonders without any real compounding. Tons of videos on YouTube will walk you right through the process. Without trying to cut too deep, it's really hard to mess your finish up with one of these polishers. After your car is done well, upkeep is a breeze. I was intimidated for a long time until I finally went for it. Don't let your cars get too far gone before you decide to do it the right way. Catch it before you have to spend multiple days correcting swirls.
Thanks! Yes, I agree if you're a hands-on type of person, a DA polisher will open new worlds to you in car care. And just like anything else, preventative maintenance is key. It's better to do some LIGHT polishing now and then, than to let a car get too far gone such as this one, and then have to go aggressive on it. It will save you time over big corrections AND your car stays looking fresh all the time!

Originally Posted by StangMahn
It's been a bit since I posted that, I no longer see them, so I'm thinking maybe it was some dirt/oily grime that was playing a bit of tricks on my eyes. It's amazing what a pair of polarized lenses do on some surfaces. But the advice is still much appreciated.
Glad to hear it's worked itself out!