General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Sirius satellite renewal

Search this Thread

Old 12/27/14, 06:47 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 949 Likes on 577 Posts
Sirius satellite renewal

I'm sure most everyone is aware of this but for any new Sirius folks, this is the game you have to play at renewal time each year.
I get the automatic renewal notification that the cost will be $180+ for the coming year for my Mustang. I call customer service to cancel. They ask why and I tell them I'm not paying that kind of money. They offer 50% off to keep you as a customer. New cost with taxes, license fees, etc is just over $100 for the year. It is the same scenario each year. I guess they get enough subscribers that pay full price at renewal. No thanks!
I personally feel that the satellite radio is worth about $10 a month but not more than that. I'm still under that amount at around $8.50 but may not be for long. Like everything else, the price keeps going up.
Old 12/27/14, 08:38 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
I'm sure most everyone is aware of this but for any new Sirius folks, this is the game you have to play at renewal time each year.
I get the automatic renewal notification that the cost will be $180+ for the coming year for my Mustang. I call customer service to cancel. They ask why and I tell them I'm not paying that kind of money. They offer 50% off to keep you as a customer. New cost with taxes, license fees, etc is just over $100 for the year. It is the same scenario each year. I guess they get enough subscribers that pay full price at renewal. No thanks!
I personally feel that the satellite radio is worth about $10 a month but not more than that. I'm still under that amount at around $8.50 but may not be for long. Like everything else, the price keeps going up.
We have bought two vehicles this year. A Ford Escape for Pam and recently a pre-owned 2007 Mustang GT. Both have Sirius capability. On the Escape we got the Sirius package free for 6 months but we did not continue on with it as Pam has her Ipod which connects to the stereo and we prefer to listen to cds plus radio. Sirius was quite offended when we would not continue on with the package. Our main objection was the registration and startup fee. The monthly fee of $20.00 was not attactive either. The Sirius salesperson at the other end tried to tell me that cd's and am/fm radio were technology. If that's the case someone should tell Ford as the Escape as AM/FM and a cd player.

When I got the GT on November 21 of this year a letter followed a few days later suggesting I may want to have Sirius free for the first three months and then a monthly fee of $15.00. But they failed to tell you about the registration and start up fee until the very end of their letter. What is amazing is that each time I push the Sirius button on the Shaker stereo it generates a mail package from Sirius. Maybe I should push the button everyday and have them go bankrupt paying postage.

We have even gotten "high pressure" calls from Sirius suggesting we should consider Sirius. Not. What is it they do not understand.

P.S. The Shaker has a 6 CD player and AM/FM radio, why do I need Sirius????

Last edited by poldrv; 12/27/14 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12/27/14, 10:03 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
I find sirius is a bit of a joke anyway. not much better than regular fm radio except that it works in between cities while travelling.
Old 12/27/14, 10:51 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just went through this. I was not aware that there are also several levels of service.
the least expensive is the mostly music choice; 10 a month. I was paying for the premium package with sports and talk etc.

I called to prevent auto renewal at existing level. after translating into english, I thought I got the off shore rep to understand that I wanted only the music package and travel link. They told me that they could not change renewal in future, but had to change package the day of my call, and I would get credit for the month or so left on current contract. This was several days ago. I still seem to have all the original services.
When I was on the phone I asked for a written confirmation of the phone conversation. which I was promised. When the e mail arrived it simply said it was confirming our conversation, with no details as the change in services I requested.

I am expecting to go out one day have no sirius radio and the car won't start...

Oh I do like the Sirius radio music choices.

Wish me luck
Old 12/27/14, 11:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenGT
I find sirius is a bit of a joke anyway. not much better than regular fm radio except that it works in between cities while travelling.
Exactly how I feel about it. The sound quality sucks even compared to FM stations, the music selection is terrible, and way more expensive than I would ever pay for it. The only way I would keep it was if they were paying me to keep it.
Old 12/27/14, 06:05 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnjguy
Just went through this. I was not aware that there are also several levels of service.
the least expensive is the mostly music choice; 10 a month. I was paying for the premium package with sports and talk etc.

I called to prevent auto renewal at existing level. after translating into english, I thought I got the off shore rep to understand that I wanted only the music package and travel link. They told me that they could not change renewal in future, but had to change package the day of my call, and I would get credit for the month or so left on current contract. This was several days ago. I still seem to have all the original services.
When I was on the phone I asked for a written confirmation of the phone conversation. which I was promised. When the e mail arrived it simply said it was confirming our conversation, with no details as the change in services I requested.

I am expecting to go out one day have no sirius radio and the car won't start...

Oh I do like the Sirius radio music choices.

Wish me luck

Good luck x2
Old 12/28/14, 10:13 AM

Sirius renewal.

My new vehicle came with all channel Sirius. Just got the annual renewal notice. Almost $50 for just the music license fee,. The majority of channels are for young adults. I told them that I wanted the lowest cost package ($50/yr).
They said I couldn't get it (the salesperson didn't know why).
I said "okay, then cancel my subscription". Was told that it would be difficult to cancel the full subscription. "Okay, I will simply tell my credit card company not to pay for any 'unauthorized charges from Sirius". 'Please hold while I talk to my supervisor'...Supervisor comes on and says that my account
has been changed to basic package...'only 50 channels at $50/yr'.
Old 12/28/14, 10:37 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tsunami
My new vehicle came with all channel Sirius. Just got the annual renewal notice. Almost $50 for just the music license fee,. The majority of channels are for young adults. I told them that I wanted the lowest cost package ($50/yr).
They said I couldn't get it (the salesperson didn't know why).
I said "okay, then cancel my subscription". Was told that it would be difficult to cancel the full subscription. "Okay, I will simply tell my credit card company not to pay for any 'unauthorized charges from Sirius". 'Please hold while I talk to my supervisor'...Supervisor comes on and says that my account
has been changed to basic package...'only 50 channels at $50/yr'.
That's what you get for taking a stand. Action. Or what we call putting your army boots on.
Old 12/28/14, 10:42 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I actually quite like Sirius. They're prices have gotten too high recently. It should be no more than $10 a month. I like the uninterrupted music, different types of channels, etc. if my commute weren't 4 minutes, then if be much more interested.
Old 12/29/14, 05:04 PM
V6 Member

Thumbs down Not a fan...

They want way too much money... They will give it to you for $4 per month if you cancel and wait for their offers... And they were real Nasty about cancelling my auto renewal also....
Old 12/29/14, 05:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by RIBS
They want way too much money... They will give it to you for $4 per month if you cancel and wait for their offers... And they were real Nasty about cancelling my auto renewal also....
They're starting to call me daily and I just ignore the calls. No voicemail left either, which is very annoying.

If you guys think $10/month is good for that tinny sounding garbage, you need to get Spotify. Unlimited, download to your device (do it at home on wifi) and it's 320kb/s.
Old 12/29/14, 06:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Once Howard leaves, I leave.
Old 12/29/14, 07:41 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
Once Howard leaves, I leave.
I'm PO'd because I have to pay for that jerk. Sorry if you're a fan. I live in a rural area and without satellite radio I'd be stuck with C&W, Hispanic, and proselytizing (not that there's anything wrong with those I'm quickly adding). But if I want jazz, classical, or anything else I'm stuck. Now what REALLY grinds my gears-the wife's car has XM. Same company right? And yet I can't get MLB or NHL in the Mustang without an additional charge (The Best of XM). Its the same company!! Really starting to rethink my options. I'm going to more deeply explore the Bluetooth audio. Playing with it now.
Old 12/30/14, 07:20 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 949 Likes on 577 Posts
junkman9096, that's my problem too. No radio reception here in western NC outside of country or NPR. Just nothing!
I'm not into downloading or spending $$ on electronic devices either. It's either satellite or bust, other than my CD collection. $10 a month is fine for me, but not more than that. As I posted initially , I'm still under $9 a month for now.
To be honest, whenever I travel to Atlanta I hear so many ads on the FM stations that I like that I probably would still have satellite. Sometimes 3 - 4 minutes between songs.

Last edited by NC14GT; 12/31/14 at 06:00 AM.
Old 12/30/14, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually love Sirius, I just renewed with the All-Access package for about $120 for a year. But I still can't figure out why Sirius on my '13 w/ Shaker sounds like it's playing underwater. There is something horribly wrong with it. Satellite radio doesn't sound that bad, most of the time... I have heard a lot of XM radios over the years and they sound great. Most recently was on a '14 Chevy Sonic rental which I drove to/from Florida for the holiday. Sounds as good, if not better, than FM. But when I get in the Mustang and hit the Sirius button, all semblance of remotely decent sound quality goes out the window. Sometimes I just fire up the Sirius/XM app and listen over Bluetooth.. sounds 1000x better.

What gives? Has anyone else experienced this problem? I wish I could just pull out the Sirius tuner and swap it with an XM. They always seem to sound better.
Old 12/31/14, 12:34 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The longer you go without renewing, the better the deal. I just got a 6 months for $25 offer.
Old 1/2/15, 05:58 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I considered renewing mine when the 6 month service expired, but the twit who called and called and called even after I told them to call at a certain time ticked me off. But sid719e is right, tell them your not really interested and they drop the shorts.
Old 1/2/15, 06:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I wonder if there is something different in the Fords vs Chevys. I have a 2003 Monte Carlo and a 2006 Silverado. Both systems have built in XM (XM Module connects to radio and is controlled by the radio) and it sounds great. I hated going back to FM in my truck when I cancelled the last time because it sounded horrible in comparison to XM. The Mustang Sirius does sound horrible in comparison to my Chevys. Not sure why though. It could be the head unit and the way it's processing the signal. I don't know.
Old 1/2/15, 09:02 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I've always thought the sound was great in my both my 2013 Mustang and 2010 Mariner. Really good in my wife's 2014 Lincoln MKZ, even better than in her 2012 MKZ.
Old 1/8/15, 02:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
I must be one of the lucky ones as every time I call I get very good service from the reps. I know the sound isn't the greatest, but we travel quite a bit and the service is handy. I just changed both of my radios to the 'Mostly Music" package because that's all we listen to anyway. On the Wifey's car the change went smoothly. On my F-150 I ask for the "Mostly Music" with Travel link. The rep forgot the travel link portion. I called them back, told the nice lady that answered what happened, and ask if she would hook me up. She said no problem, and since I had to call back the Travel Link would be free for the year. Can't grumble about that.

Quick Reply: Sirius satellite renewal