2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP transmission gone bad don't know what to do

Search this Thread

Old 1/1/17, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PLEASE HELP transmission gone bad don't know what to do

Hey guys I bought this 2006 mustang GT two years ago, quickly fell in love with it and a couple months ago the engine blew a barring so I replaced the engine with one that had less than 20k miles and it was running so amazingly 3 days ago something happened and now the car turns on perfectly grabs all gears but WILL NOT MOVE. I took a video of the issue please please take the time to check it out and see if you might know is wrong. I don't think I have the money to fix it if it's more than $1,000 since the engine was a pretty penny. Please I'm in college and I return on Jan 9th and have no idea what to do. Sell it as is and finance a new one or if it's worth fixing. Here's a link to the video i just posted to better show the issue. https://youtu.be/Z_tYkAwRpbs
like I said I'm in a pretty bad spot, I'm 20 years old and been on my own without the help of parents since 17 and this is my first time reaching out for some advice. I did have the transmission fluid topped off right after replacing the engine so I don't think it could be that either. UPDATE; it is automatic and gears 1 2 & 3 work, but Drive and Reverse do NOT move the car.

Last edited by Andysmustang26; 1/1/17 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Update
Old 1/1/17, 04:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Well it's probably not what you're hoping to hear...But if only some gears work, then I'd suspect the transmission. And I'd expect it to be pretty costly.

On another note...After watching the video, I see that your check engine light is on. What is the code/cause for the light? Perhaps it's related or can tell you what's wrong better than we can.
Old 1/1/17, 04:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Andy, (I take it you have an auto) if the trans was working fine before the engine change it may not be the trans itself. The mechanic may have left something loose like the solenoid line, or other vacuum lines. Have that checked first, and keep your fingers crossed that it's something simple like that. The reason being, if in fact the trans was fine the only variable was the engine replacement and all that this procedure entails. Good luck young man, I don't know of many that wasn't in the same money situation as you in their 20's. Heck, I was just like you.
Old 1/1/17, 09:26 PM

Uh oh

Hey guys so I put the car up on Craigslist to see if I could get any kind of money for it to put a down payment on a 2014. Ended up trading her for a 14" lifted 3500 which I've been told should sell for no less than $8,000 and that's for a quick buck. I could get $12,000 out of it so I did it. Although the truck is so **** big I don't plan on driving it and hope to sell it by the end of the week even if I have to go as low at or 7k cause I wouldn't have gotten more than 5k for the mustang with the trans like that unfortunately. But shhh don't tell anybody that. I really hope this was for the best but it is a working truck and atleast it'll get me to school and work if I don't get to sell it before the 9th. Once I sell it I'll be using that for a down payment on a 5.0 that I could only dream of having at this age without any help. Wish me luck guys!
Old 1/1/17, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
Well it's probably not what you're hoping to hear...But if only some gears work, then I'd suspect the transmission. And I'd expect it to be pretty costly.

On another note...After watching the video, I see that your check engine light is on. What is the code/cause for the light? Perhaps it's related or can tell you what's wrong better than we can.
oh the check engine light was due to the off-road X pipes I put it on it 😅☠️
Old 1/2/17, 01:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Good luck young man. I hope all works out well.
The following users liked this post:
Buckshot Barry (1/2/17)
Old 1/3/17, 12:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Gravydog316
The brake lights need to be in before you can shift out of park, too...
Could be brake pedal switch, maybe a short, keeping the brake lights from coming on
Something with the emergency brake;
Just remove the cover & turn the release with your key--then you can shift out of Park.

Uhhhhh.... did you even read the first post, about the issue? Why are you talking about brake lights coming on?

He got rid of it anyways. Reading comprehension is key.
Old 1/3/17, 02:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Because... if you read my post, I said: SOMETIMES, if the brake lights don't come on, then it won't let you shift out of Park...
Which COULD be related to the brake pedal switch, or wiring.

...why would he get rid of it so soon? oddness...

You COULD just put the key in the shifter lock & unlock it, & you can shift it out of Park lol
...boys are so weird omg.

(Try Hooked on Phonics. Or maybe a tutor?)

Yeah but he is not having any issues shifting it. It goes into all of the gears but the car doesn't move in reverse or drive, only in 1st, 2nd & 3rd. Never did he mention the shifter not coming out of park.

Second, I read your post. Where does it say SOMETIMES??? Now your just making **** up.

Here is what you posted.

The brake lights need to be in before you can shift out of park, too...
Could be brake pedal switch, maybe a short, keeping the brake lights from coming on
Something with the emergency brake;
Just remove the cover & turn the release with your key--then you can shift out of Park.

Maybe it is that invisible word you that only you can see.

I'm just wondering how you went from the car not moving to a brake switch?

Last edited by 07 Boss; 1/3/17 at 02:45 PM.
Old 1/3/17, 03:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

lol hey, I'm hungover from New Years gimme a break...
but... you know how you haveta step on the brake before you can Shift outta Park?
if the brake lights don't come on when you press the pedal, on my car (some, not all, apparently,) you can't shift out of Park
Oh I understand that, every automatic transmission is like that (at least in the last couple of decades), but he is not having an issue moving the shifter. It's the car that's not moving. That's what I'm trying to figure out is where did you get that he couldn't get it out of park. You must have really tied one on on new years. lol

Last edited by 07 Boss; 1/3/17 at 03:22 PM.
Old 1/3/17, 04:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
How about ya'll act like functioning members of society and not like snotty 12 year olds...?
Old 1/4/17, 09:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Andy, I have a 06 Vert and I had it for about 2 years and one day out of the blue the car wouldn't go in Drive or Reverse. It would go if I started it in 1,2,or 3. I took it to an Aamco shop. Turns out the tranny was shot. He said that it was fairly common, this is the same tranny in an Explorer. I trust this guy because he's a friend. Someone told me that these trannys don't usually last more than 100k miles. I had it replaced with an improved rebuilt tranny and so far it's running great.

Good luck.
Old 1/5/17, 08:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
How about ya'll act like functioning members of society and not like snotty 12 year olds...?
Just a little friendly bantering. I suppose now like we're cyber bullies.

But the guy did come out of left field with his reply to the OP. Nothing wrong with pointing that out. One of the functions of the forum is to pass on good accurate information for people to make decisions on. So I was just being an active functioning forum member. If any one was offended by my questions to gravy or the way I "treated" him, too bad. I don't mean that to be snooty, I'm just an old fart and don't have that many ****s to give anymore so I don't sweat the small stuff anymore.
Old 1/5/17, 09:46 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I find it interesting that the OP went from "help me fix my car" to "I'm selling it" in just under 7 hours. He/she only has three posts to the forum and they are all in this thread. I feel we won't hear from them again.
Old 1/5/17, 12:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think he found out he needed a new tranny and jumped ship. He was under some time constraints too with going back to school.
Old 1/5/17, 12:31 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Originally Posted by 07 Boss
I think he found out he needed a new tranny and jumped ship. He was under some time constraints too with going back to school.

Of course these days you're never quite sure what someone is saying when they say the "blew a tranny".