Go Back   The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang by Model Year > 2005-2009 Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005-2009 Mustang
S197 Discussion & News

Welcome to The Mustang Source!
Welcome to The Mustang Source,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 5/30/08, 6:20 AM   #1
Mach 1 Member

Antifreeze question

I could not find any yellow antifreeze like the one reccommended by Ford. So i topped it off the All makes Prestone antifreeze. Now I am worried after reading some information about problems arising from mixing antifreezes. What should I do? Could this cause damage to my engine? Or is it ok to mix in the universal stuff? If this is a problem how would I go about fixing it?

Please any help would be greatly appreciated
Exterior mods: DG Custom louvers, CDC classic chin spoiler, Scott Drake running ponies, California Dream Hood, Hid lights, Homemade Shorty antenna, Scott Drake (Shelby) Billet Hood Pins, Tinted Windows,Agents 47 mirrors, Clear front markers, Custom tinted rear tails, 18x9(F) 18x10(R) DD Chrome Shelby Torq Thrusts, 255/45/18 and 285/40/18 BFG/KDW2s

Performance: Bamachips 93 octane race tune and C&L street CAI, SLP loudmouth axle-backs, 3:73 rear end gears, Steeda Ultralite springs, Tokico D-Specs shocks and struts
Clark Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/30/08, 7:18 AM   #2
Mach 1 Member

Robbie

Send a message via MSN to Robbieg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
I could not find any yellow antifreeze like the one reccommended by Ford. So i topped it off the All makes Prestone antifreeze. Now I am worried after reading some information about problems arising from mixing antifreezes. What should I do? Could this cause damage to my engine? Or is it ok to mix in the universal stuff? If this is a problem how would I go about fixing it?

Please any help would be greatly appreciated
I would think that the "any makes any model" would be compatible with everything and safe to use. That's about all I could find when I did my S/C install so thats what I used although that was a complete drain and fill and not a mix or top off I still don't think it should make a difference. Short of getting it at the Ford dealer the options are getting pretty slim on the shelves.
5-Speed manual, Premium Package, IUP, Comfort Package, Charcoal Leather, Shaker 1000, 4.10 Gear, Gloss black 10" 2" space Shelby stripes W/1/4" pin, Rocker panel Mustang stripe, "MUSTANG" dash lay-on, Chrome "GT" power point plug, 5% Tint, Raptor red shift light, Body color mirror covers, Sequential signals, Off-Road H pipe, Light Bar, Mole skin window tint protector, Light bar brake light switch, Billet mirror control **** & bezel, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, SCT X2 programer, Steeda CAI, Eibach pro springs, AVIC-D3 head unit, BMR panhard bar, G.O. shift ball, dual interceptor scan gauges, Redline boots & console cover, Saleen supercharger w/Brenspeed stage 3 custom tune, 20" Shelby Razor's, Pypes violators, Moroso oil separator, SHR E-brake handle, Shifter bezel, Grill inserts, and Rear medallion.
Robbieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/30/08, 10:22 AM   #3
Bullitt Member

The yellow is suppose to last longer than the green. By topping off with green all you are doing is shortening the length of time that the yellow will last. Just means you will have to change it sooner.
364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/30/08, 6:54 PM   #4
FR500 Member

John

Send a message via ICQ to Stoenr Send a message via AIM to Stoenr Send a message via Yahoo to Stoenr
Could not find any Zerex G05? That stuff is all over the place.

Mods : Sct2, JLTII, UDP, SS brake hoses, HPS pads, Strut Tower Brace, Dspecs, ProKit, Bump Steer, Adj. LCA's, CHE antisquats, UCA, Adj. panhard, MGW shifter, Steeda cowl hood, Hood pins, MRT hood struts*, Tint, 07 Plenum Cover, 14" Antenna, Sequencial TL's, SSE 1/4 window louvers, PJ Saleen Heritage f/fascia, CDC ducktail, Interior trunk release.
Stoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/30/08, 8:12 PM   #5
Bullitt Member

Coolant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoenr View Post
Could not find any Zerex G05? That stuff is all over the place.

That's what I bought
goldenpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/30/08, 8:49 PM   #6
Mach 1 Member

Gary

kind of on topic, but is that royal purple "purple ice" any good?

Corsa Touring exhaust | BBK ceramic shorty headers | Exedy 500 clutch | Exedy flywheel | MGW Short Throw Shifter | Steeda Pro Action Shocks and Struts | Steeda HD Upper Strut Mount| Coast Driveline aluminum driveshaft | BMR adj panhard bar & rod support |255 45 18 fronts and 275 40 18 rears Nitto INVOs | CT-R gunmetal 18x9 fronts 18x10 rears | SilverHorse Racing stuff | other misc bling | Autometer Sport Comp gauges | dual Ford GT Supercar fuel pumps | CDC front lip spoiler | oh, and a Hellion Turbo :)
sound wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/30/08, 8:53 PM   #7
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

KARMAN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenpony View Post
That's what I bought
Then you have factory.
You are fine except for the dye color.
It comes in different dye colors (ford is yellow).
http://www.englefieldoil.com/PDF/ZerexG-05QAs.pdf
MODS: JLT CAI, 93 Octane SCT dyno tune, WebElectric sequential tail lights & pony corral, Front plate relocation,Hella 500 Driving lights instead of fogs with high/low beam wiring switched,GMS fixed double strut brace and A-arm brace.
Custom Dyno Tuned by: http://www.performance-dyno.com
karman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/31/08, 5:51 AM   #8
Bullitt Member

Dealers carry the Motorcraft Gold coolant...I picked up a gallon a few weeks after buying the car (in the event I need to top off the overflow tank)...and this coolant is supposedly good for 4 years.
I know that the 5 year DEXCOOL (which I have in two of my other cars) works like it advertises.
Mark S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/31/08, 5:51 AM