Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

READ** A Child With Cancer Needs Our Help! **READ

Search this Thread

Old 12/18/05, 11:35 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been flying into BWI (Baltimore) quite a lot lately with my airline, and everytime I go there, I get more and more ANGRY!

There is a Continental ramp/ops agent there named Claude Walters. His grandson, Gavin Storm-Thomas, has cancer and is not even two years old yet. His father is a ramp agent for Southwest there at BWI.

From what i've been told, Gavin has a great spirit and has been taking his Chemotherapy like a true champ, despite his young age.

I am furious that this has to happen to such a young child. I too have a son about Gavin's age, and I think I speak for all the Mom's and Dad's here when I say that you CANNOT look at this story and NOT think of your own kids.

We need to pool together.......we need to buy this kid a chance to make it through this.

His parents are exhausted and financially devastated. I know that you all have the heart to give something, ANYTHING that you can.

There is a cup in the ops area in BWI for donations, but according to other rampers there, they get some money, but not enough, not even close.

ANYONE, Please help this family to help this kid. All the help he can get.

Please visit www.gavinstormthomas.com for his story!

Thanks,

Gibson

MODERATORS, Please make this a "Sticky" Post!

Last edited by 05stangkc; 1/17/24 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12/18/05, 01:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not trying to seem rude, I realize that this is likely a true story and I feel extremly bad for the family and all. But, I hate to play the pessimist and say, I'm not really sure that this is the appropriate place to be asking for donations. It doesn't appear to be a registered charity or anything and the funds could be going anywhere. I sort of doubt that you will get much response from these forums.
Old 12/18/05, 03:11 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,862 Posts
This is a Subject That really hits home for me. My Son Andrew Was diagnosed with A.L.L. at five. Thats Leukemia. It is truly Devistating for the Child and The Family. It totally turns your world upside down. The whole experience was surreal and I just do not think about it often. He will be turning 16 on December 23rd. and as I read this I again realize how fortunate we were that he survived. Many of his friends who went through treatment were not so fortunate. I credit a big part of his recovery to his mother who would never let him go through the day without taking his medication and never missing a check up. Most of our friends were lost during this time as we had to stay away from people who might give him a cold or virus because the Chemo destroyed his immune system. A cold could literally kill him at this point.Most never returned. The Financial burden was tremendous and was only bearable because my Mother had passed away a month before and a fair sized amount of money was left to Us.It still left us in debt for years. She herself passed away from cancer which she had battled off an on off for ten years. Whether or not TMS is a Place for this kind of subject is up to the person reading the post. It is my opinion that TMS is Like a family and Families share and help each other. I hope that some will find it in their Hearts to help those in need whenever possible. Thanks for sharing the Story it has made me once again realize and appreciate what I have and not what I don't have.

Merry Christmas to All

kc
Andrew a few Months Before His Diagnoses
Attached Images  
Old 12/18/05, 03:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by 05stangkc@December 18, 2005, 5:14 PM
This is a Subject That really hits home for me. My Son Andrew Was diagnosed with A.L.L. at five. Thats Leukemia. It is truly Devistating for the Child and The Family. It totally turns your world upside down. The whole experience was surreal and I just do not think about it often. He will be turning 16 on December 23rd. and as I read this I again realize how fortunate we were that he survived. Many of his friends who went through treatment were not so fortunate. I credit a big part of his recovery to his mother who would never let him go through the day without taking his medication and never missing a check up. Most of our friends were lost during this time as we had to stay away from people who might give him a cold or virus because the Chemo destroyed his immune system. A cold could literally kill him at this point.Most never returned. The Financial burden was tremendous and was only bearable because my Mother had passed away a month before and a fair sized amount of money was left to Us.It still left us in debt for years. She herself passed away from cancer which she had battled off an on off for ten years. Whether or not TMS is a Place for this kind of subject is up to the person reading the post. It is my opinion that TMS is Like a family and Families share and help each other. I hope that some will find it in their Hearts to help those in need whenever possible. Thanks for sharing the Story it has made me once again realize and appreciate what I have and not what I don't have.
Merry Christmas to All
kc
My heart goes out to anyone who faces the tremendous stresses and burdens of having a child go through the terrible misfortune of cancer or any other life threatening disease. The only problem in my mind, is that the plea is coming from a third party, and anyone can make a website and take some pictures on the internet. Dont get me wrong, I believe that the story is true and believe Gibson. Personally I would be more than willing to write this family a cheque in person. I just have troubles with these sorts of internet sites. I would be unhappy if my money went to some kid in his parents basement rather than to a deserving family or cause.
Old 12/18/05, 03:36 PM
Cobra Member

Colin, you make a good point. If you know these people personally then maybe it would be good to send them something, but this child's and family's situation is unfortunately not unique. Your money might be better donated to groups that help large amounts of children or fund research toward cures.
Old 12/19/05, 03:00 PM
GT Member

This is a VERY REAL CHILD and a very real story. I know them personally. I can give you the phone number to the Continental Airlines Operations office in BWI and you can talk to him yourself.

Its unfortunate that there are people out there that have created enough scams and doubt in you mind that the truth to this childs story is even in question.

If you choose to help and send them money, THANK YOU! If you choose to put another sticker on your stang or pocket that money for a bigger muffler or a header, thats your choice too. I just know what I feel is more important to me. I dont want that to sound like a guilt trip or anything, I am just asking that any help in any way they can to minimize this kids pain.

If I were telling you that I am Minister Mombasi Bumbotowabo from Nigeria and that if you send me $10000 dollars for a transaction fee, I'll deposit $50 million into your account for helping me out.....I would understand. I just thought that someone here might have the heart to send $20 bucks.

Believe what you want. If you decide to help, thank you!

Brian
Old 12/19/05, 06:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Brian,
I would like to apologize to you if you were offeneded by anything that I said. I have done a little research of my own and found this child to be very real indeed. I would like you to know that I will be sending the family a letter with some cash this Wednesday when I get off school to help alleviate some of the finacial stress. Kevin, I would also like to apologize to you, I know that if I ever faced a situation like you have, I would have an extremly hard time. You are a strong, brave man. I appreciate all that you do for the TMS community and I would like to thank you for that.

Merry Christmas

Colin
Old 12/19/05, 07:04 PM
GT Member

THANK YOU! I was not offended, just a bit disheartened that this world has become so full of people ready to take you for everything you've earned that something like this ends up being viewed as some sort of con.

I appreciate your help! Anyone who reads this.....please just pass it along at the bottom of an email that you send to someone. Every little bit helps.

Brian
Old 12/19/05, 07:52 PM

Colin
No Apologies Necessary. Will all the scams out there it's a natural response in this day and age. I shared my experience to bring the reality of someone who is well known on TMS so other members could relate. Thank God Andrew was a survivor. In Life the more you give the more you recieve. I have Recieved much in Life and I am also Grateful for all my friends I have made on TMS in the past year.

kc
Old 12/9/07, 09:44 AM

I Had a Reason to go to this Old Forum when a Member had a Mishap with a Teenager and a Mustang. I was Curious How Gavins Story had Progressed.

http://www.gavinstormthomas.com/cgi-bin/blog
Bad Link

February 07, 2004 - April 20, 2006
Nuroblastoma
You made us happy every day of your short life. You were our gift from God and we will always love you.

Kc

Last edited by 05stangkc; 6/19/12 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12/9/07, 09:58 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

thats all i have to say about this outcome
Old 12/9/07, 11:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

My heart goes out to this family, I cannot even imagine the pain they have felt and continue to feel.

But it also makes me SO ANGRY when I read stuff like this, so angry that I swear if you stuck me with a pin p*ss and vinegar would spew from my veins. Angry at the fat cow corporate pig insurance companies in the U.S. There is NO REASON a family should end up in financial ruin because someone gets sick, but it happens every day. Well wait, yes there is a reason, and that reason is the fat pig insurance companies make the choice to stay fat and happy rather than provide adequate coverage when it's needed, especially when it comes to terminal illness. The day they went from 'non-profit' to 'for profit' corporations is the day the health care crisis began in this country. On the patient end of it we don't get adequate coverage and hence the health care we need and on the provider end of it their reimbursement is so low that they can barely even keep their businesses running. And in the middle we have the corporate pigs raking it in. I don't think the average person becomes aware of this or even thinks about it until they are faced with a major illness.

Yeah I know, tell us how you really feel Lynda, but this just makes me angry beyond control. I gotta go punch something. Thanks for listening.
Old 12/9/07, 07:10 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
and to your comment all i have to say is you are 100% right
Old 4/21/10, 08:39 AM

This hit home for me and know what your asking for is not out of the question. I put on a benifit for my Granddaughter in 04 to help raise money for her and it was through a car show I personly put on and here are a few pictures of that even, she was walking in at the car show with her hat she was wearing, and here she was than in 04 , she had ALL cancer and here she is now. Till this day she loves,my 04 Mustang GT and hopes town someday.
Attached Thumbnails READ** A Child With Cancer Needs Our Help! **READ-pict0004.jpg   READ** A Child With Cancer Needs Our Help! **READ-pict0005.jpg   READ** A Child With Cancer Needs Our Help! **READ-050222064832.jpg   READ** A Child With Cancer Needs Our Help! **READ-image.jpg  
Old 1/4/24, 05:47 PM

@fastgtcspony

I Hope She Grew Up Happy & Healthy and is Driving The Wheels Off That 04 Stang!

Let's See if By Some Miracle Fastgtcspony is Still Plugged in and Will Update!

I Pray for a Happy Update!

KC

If Per Chance fastgtcspony comes back to update please P.M. me!

Last edited by 05stangkc; 1/17/24 at 09:53 PM.