Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2007 Mustang Gt Stick Engine Swap into 2005 Gt Automatic Questions

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/24, 02:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 Mustang Gt Stick Engine Swap into 2005 Gt Automatic Questions

hey there everyone i’m still pretty new to this forum so if im posting this in the wrong section please let me know! i was hoping to ask around and see if anyone knows if i can swap an 07 4.6 engine into my 05 4.6. engine recently failed and my mustang has 130k on it but body is in pretty good shape. reason i ask is because my buddy crashed his 07 with 50k miles on it and is willing to sell me the whole car. i have questions as to if i can swap that engine and tranny into mine? the only difference is that mine is an auto so i’d be swapping mine to a manual because his is manual and i want a manual anyways. since i will have the whole car for parts i was thinking of swapping over the harness, master cylinder and all the clutch linkages to mine. i know the 07’s only difference was in the coolant cross over from what i’ve read. computer wise im wondering if i can just swap computers? does anyone know if i have to do anything special? i am a mechanic so i have access to my own scan tool ( snap on generic scan tool ) so do i only have to worry about PATS? thank you in advanced !

Updated Thread Title For Easier Internet Search
KC admin 09/22/2024
Old 9/22/24, 02:10 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,786 Posts
Originally Posted by s197HR
hey there everyone i’m still pretty new to this forum so if im posting this in the wrong section please let me know! i was hoping to ask around and see if anyone knows if i can swap an 07 4.6 engine into my 05 4.6. engine recently failed and my mustang has 130k on it but body is in pretty good shape. reason i ask is because my buddy crashed his 07 with 50k miles on it and is willing to sell me the whole car. i have questions as to if i can swap that engine and tranny into mine? the only difference is that mine is an auto so i’d be swapping mine to a manual because his is manual and i want a manual anyways. since i will have the whole car for parts i was thinking of swapping over the harness, master cylinder and all the clutch linkages to mine. i know the 07’s only difference was in the coolant cross over from what i’ve read. computer wise im wondering if i can just swap computers? does anyone know if i have to do anything special? i am a mechanic so i have access to my own scan tool ( snap on generic scan tool ) so do i only have to worry about PATS? thank you in advanced !
The answer to your question is, Yes... All 4.6L 3v engines for 2005-09 are all interchangeable including the wiring harness and ECM's... Therefore, yes you can swap ECM computers... I also don't believe that PATS would provide any issues, as they're also the same for all 2005-09 S197 Mustangs...

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/22/24 at 02:14 PM.
Old 9/22/24, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
The answer to your question is, Yes... All 4.6L 3v engines for 2005-10 are all interchangeable including the wiring harness and ECM's
okay awesome, so i can just slap the computer in and connect it? do i have to reprogram anything ? like i said mines currently an auto but i will be swapping over the transmission, harness, and computer from the manual 07
Old 9/22/24, 02:21 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,334 Posts
Welcome,

If you Were Only Swapping Engines It Would Be Much Easier. But going To a Stick Will Add Issues. The 05-06 Wiring Vs 07-09 to Engine & Sjb For Sure Have Differences which Will Bite You Unless Everything is Transferred Wiring Wise & Modules Including Cluster. Now Before Going This Way Let Me Ask How Bad is Friends Car?

Since it Has 50K on Car So Does Everything Else Like Suspension & Just Overall Condition. Would It Be Better To Go Other Way & Repair His Car With Either Funds from Selling Your Car or Using Parts Off of Your Car?

What is Condition of Both Cars? Are You Attached To Your Car & Want To Use Your Base or Are You Open To Other Options.

I Recently Helped a Member With a Similar Question. He Had Two Cars Such as Yourself. Let Me Find Link.

KC
Old 9/22/24, 02:22 PM

okay awesome, so i can just slap the computer in and connect it? do i have to reprogram anything ? like i said mines currently an auto but i will be swapping over the transmission, harness, and computer from the manual 07
I would think that if your swapping the engine, transmission, computer and harness from the 2007 manual, you shouldn't need to reprogram anything, providing the ECM has not been re-flashed with any aftermarket calibration tunes... However, you may want to check with a local Ford dealership's service department, just to make 100% certain for additional piece of mind!
Old 9/22/24, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Welcome,

If you Were Only Swapping Engines It Would Be Much Easier. But going To a Stick Will Add Issues. The 05-06 Wiring Vs 07-09 to Engine & Sjb For Sure Have Differences which Will Bite You Unless Everything is Transferred Wiring Wise & Modules Including Cluster. Now Before Going This Way Let Me Ask How Bad is Friends Car?

Since it Has 50K on Car So Does Everything Else Like Suspension & Just Overall Condition. Would It Be Better To Go Other Way & Repair His Car With Either Funds from Selling Your Car or Using Parts Off of Your Car?

What is Condition of Both Cars? Are You Attached To Your Car & Want To Use Your Base or Are You Open To Other Options.

I Recently Helped a Member With a Similar Question. He Had Two Cars Such as Yourself. Let Me Find Link.

KC
i purchased my vehicle back in march. friends car isn’t in terrible condition the only thing that holds me back from just rebuilding his is as follows. his is a salvage title, it has a cervinis body kit that god damaged from when he had to tow it away from the accident ( side skirts since his has the side exit exhaust.) front bumper is gone, and hood is damaged but they are all part of the body kit. the issue is his used to be wrapped and he took the wrap off after the accident and completely sanded the vehicle because he was going to rebuild it but lost motivation. the issue is that he spray painted the entire body white and it looks terrible which would be even more of a hassle for me because i’d have to sand it down all over again and then pay for it to get painted plus i’d also probably have to buy the body kit over again which is kind of expensive. i like my mustang since the body is in good condition and it’s a clean title in the event i ever want to sell it. plus i wouldn’t have to invest even more $$$ into getting it painted and whatnot, i am interested in eventually doing a body kit on mine however, im doing performance modifications first. and i do plan on swapping to coil overs during this whole swap and probably even swapping diffs over to mine as well with a one piece drive shaft. time isn’t really an issue because im in no rush and I’ll have both cars sitting in front of me and have free reign of the harness, ecu, clusters and modules etc. i also plan on swapping interiors because mines in okay shape but his still looks like new.
Old 9/22/24, 02:36 PM

Welcome,

KC
So how exactly is the wiring and SJB any different compared from 2005-06 to 07-09... I'm not quite understanding what the differences are... Assuming the OP is swapping all wiring harnesses and PCM, I don't see any potential issues, unless he also needs to swap the SJB and modules, but you would think there weren't any changes made to the modules and would therefore be interchangeable for all 2005-09 S197 models...
Old 9/22/24, 02:38 PM

So how exactly is the wiring and SJB any different compared from 2005-06 to 07-09... I'm not quite understanding what the differences are... Assuming the OP is swapping all wiring harnesses and PCM, I don't see any potential issues, unless he also needs to swap the SJB and modules, but you would think there weren't any changes made to the modules and would therefore be interchangeable for all 2005-09 S197 models...
i am also curious on this, i would like to know what differences would make this a lot harder? in my mind it seems pretty straight forward but i am also new to s197’s and mustangs !
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (9/22/24)
Old 9/22/24, 02:39 PM
The Analog Admin!

Quite a Scenario,

I Have Not Found The Thread I'm Looking For Yet But will Keep Looking. But as an Example Here is What One Member Had To Go Through With Just One Harness Being Changed.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...s-swap-550985/

KC
The following 2 users liked this post by 05stangkc:
m05fastbackGT (9/22/24), s197HR (9/22/24)
Old 9/22/24, 02:45 PM

Quite a Scenario,

I Have Not Found The Thread I'm Looking For Yet But will Keep Looking. But as an Example Here is What One Member Had To Go Through With Just One Harness Being Changed.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...s-swap-550985/

KC
awesome i appreciate it, is there a chance it was a bit of a different situation considering he bought a used harness and it was a v6? i went through it and see what you are talking about, i could be clueless but is it a different situation for a v6?
Old 9/22/24, 02:46 PM

i purchased my vehicle back in march. friends car isn’t in terrible condition the only thing that holds me back from just rebuilding his is as follows. his is a salvage title, it has a cervinis body kit that god damaged from when he had to tow it away from the accident ( side skirts since his has the side exit exhaust.) front bumper is gone, and hood is damaged but they are all part of the body kit. the issue is his used to be wrapped and he took the wrap off after the accident and completely sanded the vehicle because he was going to rebuild it but lost motivation. the issue is that he spray painted the entire body white and it looks terrible which would be even more of a hassle for me because i’d have to sand it down all over again and then pay for it to get painted plus i’d also probably have to buy the body kit over again which is kind of expensive. i like my mustang since the body is in good condition and it’s a clean title in the event i ever want to sell it. plus i wouldn’t have to invest even more $$$ into getting it painted and whatnot, i am interested in eventually doing a body kit on mine however, im doing performance modifications first. and i do plan on swapping to coil overs during this whole swap and probably even swapping diffs over to mine as well with a one piece drive shaft. time isn’t really an issue because im in no rush and I’ll have both cars sitting in front of me and have free reign of the harness, ecu, clusters and modules etc. i also plan on swapping interiors because mines in okay shape but his still looks like new.
In my honest opinion, as long as your swapping all harnesses, SJB, ECM, clusters and modules as Kevin mentioned in his response, it should not be required to do any reprogramming of the ECM computer...
Old 9/22/24, 02:49 PM

In my honest opinion, as long as your swapping all harnesses, SJB, ECM, clusters and modules as Kevin mentioned in his response, it should not be required to do any reprogramming of the ECM computer...
correct, i do intend to swap ecm, harness for transmission etc and SJB if i see any huge differences that’ll be a pickle. from what i can tell between mine and my friends is that they are pretty much identical, cluster wise and everything. but i could be unaware of differences like i said im a light duty diesel mechanic and really only work on automotive outside of work or on my own personal vehicles.
Old 9/22/24, 02:50 PM

correct, i do intend to swap ecm, harness for transmission etc and SJB if i see any huge differences that’ll be a pickle. from what i can tell between mine and my friends is that they are pretty much identical, cluster wise and everything. but i could be unaware of differences like i said im a light duty diesel mechanic and really only work on automotive outside of work or on my own personal vehicles.
speaking of modules what modules are you guys talking about? the only module i can really think of is the ECM and SJB. are you guys talking about like the PATS system and cluster ?
Old 9/22/24, 02:53 PM
The Analog Admin!

Here is Dash Harness Issue Which Resulted in a No Start.

Here is My Simplest Best Answer. Swap All Harnesses & Modules From Wrecked Car. Do Not try To Mix & Match as One Pin Out of Place Could Result in a No Start & Other Issues. You Will Also Want To Swap Steering Columns For Correct Pats Function and Likely Cluster. It Would Be Helpful To Know How Both Vehicles are Equipped. Send Me VINs For Both Cars to Clevparts@aol.com & I Will Do a Equipment Check on Both Cars.

Sounds Like You Are in No Hurry So At Least You Got That. Also Two Complete Cars vs an Engine & Trans Laying on The Ground. I Could Not Tell You How Many Times We Would get a Car into The Dealership Where They Put a Year Different Motor in a Vehicle and Some Random Sensor Was Missing on Replacement. I Mean Like No Boss Drilled To Put One There. So Since You Have Everything it's a Matter of Treating Swap as a BODY SWAP. Simply Taking The Function Parts & Swapping to your Body.

Anyhoo, I think I Have another Member Who Can Share Some First Hand on This. Let Me Check & See if My Memory Serves Me on This!

KC

m05fastbackGT (9/22/24)
Old 9/22/24, 03:04 PM

speaking of modules what modules are you guys talking about? the only module i can really think of is the ECM and SJB. are you guys talking about like the PATS system and cluster ?
After the information which Kevin was able to track down in his post response below, I would most definitely recommend following his advice, as he has far more knowledge than I do, knowing he was a parts manager for a Ford dealership for over 30 years.

Here is Dash Harness Issue Which Resulted in a No Start.

Here is My Simplest Best Answer. Swap All Harnesses & Modules From Wrecked Car. Do Not try To Mix & Match as One Pin Out of Place Could Result in a No Start & Other Issues. You Will Also Want To Swap Steering Columns For Correct Pats Function and Likely Cluster. It Would Be Helpful To Know How Both Vehicles are Equipped. Send Me VINs For Both Cars to Clevparts@aol.com & I Will Do a Equipment Check on Both Cars.

Sounds Like You Are in No Hurry So At Least You Got That. Also Two Complete Cars vs an Engine & Trans Laying on The Ground. I Could Not Tell You How Many Times We Would get a Car into The Dealership Where They Put a Year Different Motor in a Vehicle and Some Random Sensor Was Missing on Replacement. I Mean Like No Boss Drilled To Put One There. So Since You Have Everything it's a Matter of Treating Swap as a BODY SWAP. Simply Taking The Function Parts & Swapping to your Body.

Anyhoo, I think I Have another Member Who Can Share Some First Hand on This. Let Me Check 7 See if My Memory Serves Me on This!

Kc
Most definitely, do not mix and match components and harnesses together, but swap all modules, SJB, ECM and harnesses from the donor vehicle...
05stangkc (9/22/24)
Old 9/22/24, 03:06 PM

Yes, I believe he's also referring to the PATS system and cluster...

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/22/24 at 03:08 PM.
Old 9/22/24, 03:07 PM

After the information which Kevin was able to track down in his post response below, I would most definitely recommend following his advice, as he has far more knowledge than I do, knowing he was a parts manager for a Ford dealership for over 30 years.

Most definitely, do not mix and match components and harnesses together, but swap all modules, SJB, ECM and harnesses from the donor vehicle...
awesome thank you guys for the help! backtracking a little bit how bad would it be to just swap the engine and tranny in and then modify existing harness and getting a tune for my ECM to disable the auto trans? i’ve heard some people do that. what do you guys think would be a better route ?
Old 9/22/24, 03:08 PM

Yes, I believe he's referring to the PATS system and cluster...
excuse my ignorance but what all does the pats include ? will i have to get a new set of keys? use the ones from my buddies car? or use mine?
Old 9/22/24, 03:12 PM
The Analog Admin!

The Keys From Donor Car are Matched to Pcm Hence Swap Columns. Antitheft Also Runs Through Cluster. It May or May Not Have To Be Changed.

Meanwhile Get Me Those Vins!

Here is a Birdseye View Of Somebody Going Through the Guts of an S-197. Scroll Through and You Will See Some Scenario's You May Encounter. Just a Start!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ispreloading=1

KC
The following 2 users liked this post by 05stangkc:
m05fastbackGT (9/22/24), s197HR (9/22/24)
Old 9/22/24, 03:14 PM

excuse my ignorance but what all does the pats include ? will i have to get a new set of keys? use the ones from my buddies car? or use mine?
I'm not exactly sure of what all the PATS system does, I think Kevin would be much better than I would to explain how PATS works and functions, as I wouldn't want to provide you with inaccurate information...

Quick Reply: 2007 Mustang Gt Stick Engine Swap into 2005 Gt Automatic Questions