Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Repair MGW Shift Knob

Search this Thread

Old 7/15/19, 07:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Repair MGW Shift ****

I have several MGW shift ***** that I have tried over the years. They are different shapes and sizes but all are black textured material with a coin sized emblem in the top. The emblem is the same design as the factory steering wheel - a raised chrome pony on a silver background with a chrome ring around the outer edge. It appears that the emblem is made of some base metal with a (thin) silver plating. That plating wears off exposing the ugly base metal underneath. The chrome portions still look like new but the once silver background now looks terrible.

I contacted MGW for any ideas on how I could repair this and there response was "buy a new one".

I think some silver paint would cover the base metal nicely but of course that would wear off in just a few days. Is there some sort of clear epoxy or other finish that I could put over the silver paint to protect it from coming off? Any other ideas of how I could fix this? (Please don't tell me to buy yet another shift ****... been there, done that).