2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Won't start and anti-theft light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 7/14/19, 05:36 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won't start and anti-theft light flashing

I have a 2007 GT and have now experienced the following twice in the last coupl of weeks. I drive the car home from work, about a 50 minute drive and the outdoor temps were pretty hot, about 91 degrees. I get home, shu the car off and go in the house. Come out 5 minutes later and the car won't start, to even a click. My battery is recent and has full charge, lights and stereo work etc. when this happens, I notice the anti-theft light flashing on the dash when I put the key in the on position. I have tried multiple times to repeatedly unlock the car, lock, unlock etc and makes no difference. I tried my spare key, fiddled with the key, banged a little on the steering column thinking possible loose connection to no avail. I read some posts about the module in the steering column going bad and unable to recognize the keys. The thing is, both times this happened, I let the car sit for about an hour and tried again and started right up. So looking to see if anyone else has experienced this. I would rather not have the dealership start throwing parts at the problem unless it is a sure fire fix. Hoping someone here has experienc d this. Thanks!
Old 7/14/19, 09:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
The most common issue is the PATS ring around the ignition switch goes bad, and you just have to replace it. And yes, they'll sort of 'reset', but that's just the part failing slowly/intermittently, and it's still just plain bad.

That doesn't mean that's it. A scan tool would be helpful, and it's not necessarily a dealer-only thing. You can take it to a good auto mechanic what has such a tool to use. A scan tool is going to be part of the only way to diagnose it properly and throw the right part at it. It may also take probing tools, which again a good mechanic will have.

Good luck.
Old 7/15/19, 06:48 AM
V6 Member

@houtex thanks for the insight. Do you know if the on board computer stores codes or faults for the PATS ring or do you need to connect while the problem is occurring?
Old 7/15/19, 05:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Can't answer that exactly. I mean, codes are codes, but it may be that too many attempts with the PATS not working will lock the computer out until you DO get a scan tool to clear that up. Or so I've heard...
Old 8/2/19, 02:10 PM
V6 Member

I decided to have the local Ford dealer troubleshoot and fix the problem, car went in the shop today. They just called and were able to reproduce the issue after running the car for about an hour, seems to be induced by temp. The PCM is overheating due to a faulty circuit in the PCM. They quopted me $1200 for the replacement of the PCM, part was about $750, the rest is labor to replace and diagnostics. Freaking sucks since the car has only 34k miles on it, but I have no choice as I can't drive a car with that kind of reliability problem. Anyone else experience a problem with the PCM? Also, I am running a performance tune from Bama for my cold air kit. Is this as simple as reloading my performance tune once the new PCM has been installed? Or do I need to have Bama provide a new one that is specific to the PCM? I'm pretty fuzzy on this aspect of the tune process. Any insight appreciated.
Old 8/2/19, 10:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Wow. That's... unfortunate, truly.

The rest, I can't say. 170K plus on my '06 and not an issue with it... I hope that continues.

Good luck on the repairs, j.
Old 4/6/20, 08:24 AM
V6 Member

I'm giving this thread a bump since I decided to wait until Spring before moving forward with replacing the PCM. My plan as of now unless someone raises another potential solution is to purchase a re manufactured PCM from one of the online suppliers and will probably purchase the key blanks to go with it and plan to replace the PCM myself (seems like a simple plug & play process). Before I go forward, anyone else out there experiencing this type of problem and can share your experience? Also was wondering if the BAMA tune I am running (93 octane Race tune) could have caused or accelerated the issue if it is making the engine run hotter than stock? The PCM is located right next to the radiator and is likely getting heat soaked. Appreciate any input.
Old 4/6/20, 10:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Heh.

I only snicker because I saw this:

Originally Posted by houtex
... 170K plus on my '06 and not an issue with it... I hope that continues.
And seeing how in only 3 months that hope was dashed and she's still not on the road (yeah, yeah, I know guys who're followin' that thread, it's a weird time, sorry) and I just had to derisively chuckle at the whole dang thing.

Way to jinx it, me.

I'm sorry to slightly hijack, j. I just needed the catharticness. Carry on, I have nothing further to add to your situation, but I really really wish I did. Good luck with repairs, hope you get back on the road soon!