Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2005-2009 S-197 Mustang Fuel Tank Fill Fix!

Search this Thread

Old 7/12/19, 01:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2005-2009 S-197 Mustang Fuel Tank Fill Fix!

Hi.
For owners with Mustang year 2005-2007 , ?

Does replace with the new tank solve the filling problem every time ?

Can’t find any feedback from owners with the new type of fuel tank !

Hope to hear something :-)

Last edited by Eliminator.dk; 7/12/19 at 01:28 AM.
Old 7/12/19, 07:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
I do not think so.
Old 7/12/19, 06:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
The tank is not the issue. The issue is the small fill hose, the saddle bag tanks, the charcoal vapor system, and the fill flow you're shoving in, all coupled with a dip in the hose that causes a 'vapor lock' that flips the handle's stopper because the air can't escape the tank/hose, and click goes the handle.

The trick to making this work is... well, a little tedious, but I've gotten used to it and it's a *rare* day when I can't fill my car up. There are pumps that you just can't 'fix' this with, but when you find the ones around you that work, it's cake. Keep going to those.

---
First... The Method...
(Note: This is assuming United States nozzles, but you can maybe get the idea if your nozzles are different in your area.)
Put the nozzle in the gas fill. Notice there's a ring on it to stop you from shoving it farther than you should. Ok, use that ring as a measuring thing, back out, and let the nozzle rest in the gas fill tube so that the ring is just 'outside' it, where the cap goes. The nozzle will be in enough to do the work and even do the auto-stop this way. Also you'll notice it tilts the nozzle end 'up' in the fill tube, and there's now a gap at the top. All this positional trickery is to allow the air to escape and not cause the lock up. You'll hear it 'gurgle' as you fill, but there's more.

Now, start to fill your tank. BUT... Watch the fill rate on the pump. You can't go faster than .1 gallons (1 tenth of a gallon) per second. If you try to go faster than this, you'll vapor lock the system and the handle will shut off.

Your patience will hopefully be rewarded and you'll wind up putting in a full pull fill up. Feel accomplished as you've beaten the system.

---

The gotchas:
Those Murphy pumps are too **** fast. Don't go there. You'll find others that just can't be slowed down enough, and that's... unfortunate. Go somewhere else.

The ones with the flex hose on the nozzles for fuel vapor recovery aren't going to work as well. It's not impossible, but it's **** tough. You want the Exxon(?) (That's where I ever saw them first anyway) designed ones what don't have a flex tube, but have the integrated vapor recovery in the nozzle. (And in that last you can see the ring I'm talking about, btw.)

There are some nozzle what are just messed up and you can't do anything about it. See Murphy. It's a pump by pump thing, but you can tell them it's too sensitive.

---

The actual fix:

The actual fix is to get bigger fuel hose, and get rid of the kink, if you want to deal with that. The bigger hose will alleviate any air gurgling as it tries desperately to escape as you fill the tank, as there's more room, so it can get out, unlike the smaller tube. Then the straightening of the kink/dip (which is located in the rear wheel well, drooping hose issue) is not helping as it effectively creates a 'P-trap' Those are used to keep swamp gas outta your house from the sewers comin' up in your sinks, toilets, and tubs.

You can also try to just cut the current fuel tube a little so the kink is removed. Some have had success with it.

---

For what it's worth, I've not modded my car. I've just done... The Method...and it's been very good. Again, an occasional misbehaving nozzle/pump messing up the works, which means I put what I can, get annoyed, leave and find the next station. So I just left it all alone, overall, hasn't really been worth investigating further since I found... The Method...

As far as anyone replacing the tanks, unless there's some extra venting happening elsewhere, the tank itself doesn't do a thing. It's the fact they messed with the fuel hose (and maybe bein' a smart alec sneak about it too!) and got the kink out, most likely.

I hope that helps ya.

Last edited by houtex; 7/12/19 at 06:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Eliminator.dk (7/15/19)
Old 7/15/19, 01:50 PM
V6 Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
For the most part I go to one gas station. And I know which pumps to avoid.
The following users liked this post:
Eliminator.dk (7/15/19)
Old 7/15/19, 02:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face The Method ....... I`ll try that. Thank You

[QUOTE=houtex;7042899]The tank is not the issue. The issue is the small fill hose, the saddle bag tanks, the charcoal vapor system, and the fill flow you're shoving in, all coupled with a dip in the hose that causes a 'vapor lock' that flips the handle's stopper because the air can't escape the tank/hose, and click goes the handle.

The trick to making this work is... well, a little tedious, but I've gotten used to it and it's a *rare* day when I can't fill my car up. There are pumps that you just can't 'fix' this with, but when you find the ones around you that work, it's cake. Keep going to those.

---
First... The Method...
(Note: This is assuming United States nozzles, but you can maybe get the idea if your nozzles are different in your area.)
Put the nozzle in the gas fill. Notice there's a ring on it to stop you from shoving it farther than you should. Ok, use that ring as a measuring thing, back out, and let the nozzle rest in the gas fill tube so that the ring is just 'outside' it, where the cap goes. The nozzle will be in enough to do the work and even do the auto-stop this way. Also you'll notice it tilts the nozzle end 'up' in the fill tube, and there's now a gap at the top. All this positional trickery is to allow the air to escape and not cause the lock up. You'll hear it 'gurgle' as you fill, but there's more.

Now, start to fill your tank. BUT... Watch the fill rate on the pump. You can't go faster than .1 gallons (1 tenth of a gallon) per second. If you try to go faster than this, you'll vapor lock the system and the handle will shut off.

Your patience will hopefully be rewarded and you'll wind up putting in a full pull fill up. Feel accomplished as you've beaten the system.

---

The gotchas:
Those Murphy pumps are too **** fast. Don't go there. You'll find others that just can't be slowed down enough, and that's... unfortunate. Go somewhere else.

The ones with the flex hose on the nozzles for fuel vapor recovery aren't going to work as well. It's not impossible, but it's **** tough. You want the Exxon(?) (That's where I ever saw them first anyway) designed ones what don't have a flex tube, but have the integrated vapor recovery in the nozzle. (And in that last you can see the ring I'm talking about, btw.)

There are some nozzle what are just messed up and you can't do anything about it. See Murphy. It's a pump by pump thing, but you can tell them it's too sensitive.

---

The actual fix:

The actual fix is to get bigger fuel hose, and get rid of the kink, if you want to deal with that. The bigger hose will alleviate any air gurgling as it tries desperately to escape as you fill the tank, as there's more room, so it can get out, unlike the smaller tube. Then the straightening of the kink/dip (which is located in the rear wheel well, drooping hose issue) is not helping as it effectively creates a 'P-trap' Those are used to keep swamp gas outta your house from the sewers comin' up in your sinks, toilets, and tubs.

You can also try to just cut the current fuel tube a little so the kink is removed. Some have had success with it.

---

For what it's worth, I've not modded my car. I've just done... The Method...and it's been very good. Again, an occasional misbehaving nozzle/pump messing up the works, which means I put what I can, get annoyed, leave and find the next station. So I just left it all alone, overall, hasn't really been worth investigating further since I found... The Method...

As far as anyone replacing the tanks, unless there's some extra venting happening elsewhere, the tank itself doesn't do a thing. It's the fact they messed with the fuel hose (and maybe bein' a smart alec sneak about it too!) and got the kink out, most likely.

I hope that helps ya. [/QUOT