2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Creak while steering only right

Search this Thread

Old 6/25/19, 05:11 PM
GT Member

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts
Creak while steering only right

Good afternoon TMS,

I have noticed a developing creak/growl/grind coming from the steering. It is loud enough that at low speeds it can be heard clearly. It only does it while turning right, and after the car has driven 50 miles or so. I appears to get louder and more prominent if the steering is slow and steady. Can actually feel the sound as a vibration or sorts through the wheel. I have searched a bit but most similar symptoms involved the sound at all times and left or right... not specific to one direction and when warm. I have always thought that the steering wheel felt tougher than what I am used to when I bought this car in April. I had an 05 Roush that steered perfect. Of course I did put a new rack in it shortly after buying it.

My research suggests I look at Strut Mounts, Bushings (any in the front) and ball joints. I would think either of these (except the right side control arm bushings... maybe) would make noise in any direction if one were failing or bad

What is new:

Strut Mounts,
Coils
Struts
Sway Bar with poly bushings
Control arms with bushyings
Ball joints
Outer Tie Rods.
Wheel Hub Assemblies
even the motor mounts are new!

Basically anything that could be replaced has been replaced.

The only thing I've not looked at are the inner tie rods and rack itself.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,
Old 6/26/19, 07:32 AM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
Try changing your inner tie rods??
I had a creak while steering as well. I changed both the inner and outer, got a wheel alignment and boom no more noise.
I only ask cause I see you didnt change them.
Old 6/26/19, 07:34 AM
GT Member

Hey VGM,

Thanks for the feedback! I have the parts on order as you're correct it is the only thing I have not done in regards to the front end. I also decided to replace the rack to pump line (expensive) as mine is so rusty that it has begun flaking apart! I fear that it could break at any time leaving me stranded!

I'll let you know what the results are.

Cheers and thanks again,

Nemi
Old 6/26/19, 08:09 AM

Awesome Nemi good luck. I really hope it corrects the issue.
I forgot to mention. When I had the noise I felt the vibrations in my steering wheel as well and when it rained the noise wasnt there.

When you changed the outer tie rods, did you notice how loose the inner ones where? Was it easy to move with your hand?

Cheers!
Old 6/26/19, 08:15 AM
GT Member

The outer's were not that loose. I replaced them with the QA1 bump steer kit as I was getting lots of bump steer after the Roush Suspension.

Based on my symptoms and where the noise is coming from and how it only does it after I drive a bit leads me to believe it is rack related. I too hope this works as I've done so much and still seem plagued with rattles and noises I can't track down. The previous (1 owner) only changed the oil and replaced the tires. No other wearable component was addressed and many were worn out or on its last leg.

Hoping to get my parts today or tomorrow!

Thanks again!

Last edited by Nemisus; 6/26/19 at 08:21 AM.
Old 7/3/19, 01:09 PM
GT Member

UPDATE:

Replaced the entire rack and pinion with new inner's. Steers significantly better but I still have the steering groan/creak after driving for a while.. This can be felt through the entire car! I am starting to wonder if the replacement Strut Mounts (NEW GT500 version) are faulty? I had my Son steer the car left to right and there is a significant amount of movement in the strut mount where the strut bolts to the mount... not sure this is normal but it can be seen quite clearly. ALSO, after driving 30 mins the top portion of the mount was so HOT I couldn't touch it. I understand these will heat up but too hot to touch concerns me.

Thoughts on this? I am running out of things to replace LOL
Old 7/5/19, 10:24 AM

There is def something wrong. Try replacing the strut with the original and see if there is that much play in it or if it gets that hot.
As you said, it could be faulty. Are the gt500 ones made for your car?
The following users liked this post:
Nemisus (7/5/19)
Old 7/5/19, 02:25 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by VGMStudios
Are the gt500 ones made for your car?
Hey VGM,

They are advertised as an upgrade to the standard mounts so I'd like to think they are. One thing I have noticed while poking around is that the entire left side of the car sags 1/2 inches or more. Visually noticeable and irritating. I understand that some variances will apply but enough to see shouldn't be right.

These are Roush Struts and springs used in their Stage 2 kit.

Last edited by Nemisus; 7/5/19 at 02:27 PM.
Old 7/5/19, 05:14 PM
V6 Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Just throwing this out there. Is the lower coil spring insulator intact?
Old 7/6/19, 08:41 AM
GT Member

Hey Jack,

Both sides are original but are whole and intact.

Thanks in advance,
Old 7/19/19, 10:16 AM
GT Member

UPDATE:

Not much to say other than I went through the entire front end and everything appears to be in order and working fine. I am going to pull the strut assemblies and inspect the tower mounts one last time. Is strange, the more I look at this to more I am leading to the column shaft as the cause for this noise. Anyone experience a noise for the rag joint?

Thanks again
Old 7/19/19, 02:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
I'm not familiar with the mechanics of that joint; but could you lubricate the crap out of it (even if only temporary) to see if that makes any difference to the noise?
Old 7/19/19, 02:15 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Bert
I'm not familiar with the mechanics of that joint; but could you lubricate the crap out of it (even if only temporary) to see if that makes any difference to the noise?
Hey Burt,

I took a good look at it and the rag joint (just behind the steering wheel) is is like new condition. Its not the issue... for one obvious reason! The noise I have is exterior of the cab. Could be the universals but unlikely. Back to thinking I have a bad tower mount? Other than the ball joints, inner and out tie rods Not much else moves a lot. This noise is not noticeably present at higher speeds. Just low speed 15 or less street driving. And it can be felt through the steering.

Sigh,

I thought I had it with the sway bar bushings being under lubed as when I was looking at things I could get a sound out of them. After using Lucas bushing grease the sway is prefect but I still have the noise.

this has become a crazy mystery to me.
Old 7/21/19, 05:25 PM
GT Member

RESOLVED with Pedder's Extreme Xa

UPDATE:

I think I might have resolved this crazy issue! Decided after a lot of research and reviews that I'd just move on from the Roush Stage 2 suspension that I literally just installed. Might have 500 or less miles on it... Saddens me a little because I really enjoyed my Roush Sport when I had it and it had the same suspension on it and it was buttery smooth. Something in that system is the culprit and my gut has me thinking its the GT-500 upgrade strut mounts. With them off I can feel resistance in my hand on one and the other is smooth. Guess its not unheard of to get faulty parts new. Since someone might ask, the torque spec is spot on so they are not over tight. I know that I could have just bought a new set of mounts or even an aftermarket cast/camber kit but I had always considered a coil-over kits so it was good timing.

All that aside I just finished the install of a Coil-over system by Pedder's. Quality is there and the install was quick and easy out of the box as a bolt on as long as you're not interested in messing with the Height adjustment first thing. I might play around with the front as I am not totally sold on how low the out of the box setting is compared to the rear.

That being said I want to thank everyone that chimed in and offered ideas and feedback.

here is a few shots of the parts in comparison and the final look:

After the install (Out of box install) No adjustment

Rear Pedder's compared to Roush Stage 2

Front Pedder's Coil-Over compared to Roush Stage 2 strut and coil system.
The following users liked this post:
VGMStudios (7/23/19)