GT

Video: S197 vs S550 at the track

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/19, 10:39 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Video: S197 vs S550 at the track

Few months now, but I think I i forgot post it here. It was a fairly even match to be honest.

Old 4/22/19, 07:19 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Few months now, but I think I i forgot post it here. It was a fairly even match to be honest.

Old 4/23/19, 10:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Okay, I couldn't tell which one was in front. Also what mods if any were made to both cars?
Old 4/23/19, 11:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 13GetThere
Okay, I couldn't tell which one was in front. Also what mods if any were made to both cars?
The S550 was in front, than 2 minutes later it wasn’t.

S197 had Steeda suspension and CAI/tune. No idea about the S550. I got by him at the track, we didn’t hang or anything.
Old 4/23/19, 05:41 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
I am not nearly as a good a driver or videographer as 5.MONSTER , but here is a couple laps on the NASCAR Roval at Charlotte Motor Speedway last Friday morning.

The S550 was lined up behind the pace car and I was next. I clipped off the pace lap and the first under green, so this begins on the second hot lap after tires and brakes were warmed up.

Last edited by EF1; 4/23/19 at 05:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
5.M0NSTER (4/24/19)
Old 4/24/19, 12:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by EF1
I am not nearly as a good a driver or videographer as 5.MONSTER , but here is a couple laps on the NASCAR Roval at Charlotte Motor Speedway last Friday morning.

The S550 was lined up behind the pace car and I was next. I clipped off the pace lap and the first under green, so this begins on the second hot lap after tires and brakes were warmed up.
Nice work EF1, looks like your driving and videography skills are doing just fine!

That looks like a fun track, your video just made me add it to my bucket list. Your line was better than the car in front and after you turn off the oval the walls get tight. Good car control. Thanks for posting.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 4/24/19 at 08:34 AM.
Old 4/24/19, 08:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Monster.
I've trying to decide if I want to upgrade the suspension on my S197, or just trade for a PP2 S550, so this has been interesting.
Old 4/24/19, 12:26 PM
Banned

Thanks Monster.
I've trying to decide if I want to upgrade the suspension on my S197, or just trade for a PP2 S550, so this has been interesting.
Oh, I see your dilemma.

The PP2 is an appealing package. I strongly considered it also. I’m still not a fan of the S550 stying so that’s the deal breaker for me. The only S550 I genuinely enjoy looking at is GT 350. I’m considering it actually when I get back to the States.

But it in all honesty the PP2 has impressive capabilities for very reasonable price.

What at is your goal for the car? Do you want to do track days or more spirited driving on the street?
Old 4/24/19, 04:42 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Nice work EF1, looks like your driving and videography skills are doing just fine!

That looks like a fun track, your video just made me add it to my bucket list. Your line was better than the car in front and after you turn off the oval the walls get tight. Good car control. Thanks for posting.
Thank you for the compliments. It was fun except for the walls and lack of run off room. The track is quite a bit faster than I was running it. It had been raining off and on and the track was just drying off, so I was being cautious since the walls are close and I did not trailer my car. I was just starting to lap some of the slower cars when we got an early checkered flag. They were trying to get back on schedule after having to tow a car off at the end of the previous section due to a mechanical and cut that session short by several minutes.
Old 4/24/19, 04:49 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Monster.
The S197 is very capable and will run with the S550's, especially with some suspension work. The deciding factor seems to be driver. I have at times run away from S550's and at others watched their tail lights disappear in the distance. There was a pro driver in a fox body American Iron car last week that absolutely smoked me.

I am with 5.MONSTER on the looks of the S197 versus the S550. Also, my 2011 is paid for so it is easier to stomach if something happens to it at the track.
Old 4/24/19, 10:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Assuming the cars are even close, its the driver.

My S197 is conservatively modded, and hangs very well with the big boys at PIR. Let me qualify that. It hangs with the big boys until the straights. PIR has two long straights per lap that I top out at about 130 (indicated). I will give point by's to the hi-end Camaros, the GT3s, etc... on the straights. And they go by hard.

My plan is to hold the S197. Keep modding it. And hold out until the mid-engine C8 Corvettes depreciate to a reasonable level.

Actually, the thing I like best about my 2012 (aside from it's just stupid fun) is that it's really not worth very much money. And if I toss it into a wall, I wouldn't be terribly upset. Now if I did the same with a new S550....

Great thread.

Be safe out there!

:-)
Old 4/25/19, 12:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by EF1
The S197 is very capable and will run with the S550's, especially with some suspension work. The deciding factor seems to be driver. I have at times run away from S550's and at others watched their tail lights disappear in the distance. There was a pro driver in a fox body American Iron car last week that absolutely smoked me.

I am with 5.MONSTER on the looks of the S197 versus the S550. Also, my 2011 is paid for so it is easier to stomach if something happens to it at the track.
Originally Posted by 759Rider
Assuming the cars are even close, its the driver.

My S197 is conservatively modded, and hangs very well with the big boys at PIR. Let me qualify that. It hangs with the big boys until the straights. PIR has two long straights per lap that I top out at about 130 (indicated). I will give point by's to the hi-end Camaros, the GT3s, etc... on the straights. And they go by hard.

My plan is to hold the S197. Keep modding it. And hold out until the mid-engine C8 Corvettes depreciate to a reasonable level.

Actually, the thing I like best about my 2012 (aside from it's just stupid fun) is that it's really not worth very much money. And if I toss it into a wall, I wouldn't be terribly upset. Now if I did the same with a new S550....

Great thread.

Be safe out there!

Is it a thread jack when I'm the OP? You guys are totally right, driver makes all the difference, and driver mod is more important than any mod to our cars. Period.

Case and point, here is some recent video with my M2 from Spa Francorchamps and Hockenheimring. At Spa I was able to hold my own against Porsche's quite well. At Hockenheimring not so much. Those guys drive their GT2s and GT3s well and hard. And it shows. Fast car helps, but Driver all the way.

My first time at both tracks, so I have lots of improvements to make still, more so at Hock than at Spa. But that was a strange feeling at Hockenheim. My M2 was one of the cheapest cars around. By a large margin. Enjoy.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 4/25/19 at 12:49 AM.
Old 4/25/19, 10:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Oh, I see your dilemma.

The PP2 is an appealing package. I strongly considered it also. I’m still not a fan of the S550 stying so that’s the deal breaker for me. The only S550 I genuinely enjoy looking at is GT 350. I’m considering it actually when I get back to the States.

But it in all honesty the PP2 has impressive capabilities for very reasonable price.

What at is your goal for the car? Do you want to do track days or more spirited driving on the street?
I'm probably more of a spirited rural road and expressway driver, with maybe a driving school and occasional track day. My biggest draw to the PP2 is the adjustable Magna-ride dampers at the touch of a button.This way I could have a softer ride when the wife rides with me, and a stiffer suspension when I'm by myself, and I don't have to worry about if it's adjusted right or not. If I upgrade to say the Ford adjustable suspension for the 13GT, the question is, do I have it adjusted for the best handling, not to mention will my wife still be able to ride in it with her arthritic back. My Mustang is a Brembo package, and we both enjoy riding in it, but I'd like a stiffer suspension, but it's about as stiff as she can stand.
I prefer the looks of the S197, but there are things about the S550 that overcome looks.
Old 4/25/19, 02:54 PM
Banned

I'm probably more of a spirited rural road and expressway driver, with maybe a driving school and occasional track day. My biggest draw to the PP2 is the adjustable Magna-ride dampers at the touch of a button.This way I could have a softer ride when the wife rides with me, and a stiffer suspension when I'm by myself, and I don't have to worry about if it's adjusted right or not. If I upgrade to say the Ford adjustable suspension for the 13GT, the question is, do I have it adjusted for the best handling, not to mention will my wife still be able to ride in it with her arthritic back. My Mustang is a Brembo package, and we both enjoy riding in it, but I'd like a stiffer suspension, but it's about as stiff as she can stand.
I prefer the looks of the S197, but there are things about the S550 that overcome looks.
MagnaRide is sweet, but in my opinion for your use case it would be like killing a sparrow with .40 cal.

I say that because the PP2 comes with a lot of GT350 parts, which are heavily track focused including 305 wide Michelin Sport Cups which will wear out in 6k miles or 3 track days.

What the Brembo equipped '13 GTs are missing is good damping. It's hard to get good damping in factory ride height on S197s, but if you're willing to invest in springs you have options. For what you want Ford adjustable shocks, or Koni yellows (which I've had) are not the right option because you have to play with it and switch settings depending on situation. Plus even in the softest setting they are always a bit harsh. But you can achieve less body motion (roll/pitch and dive) with springs and dampers. I could recommend either Steeda Sports with either Steeda fixed dampers, or Bilstein self-adjusting dampers. The second one will be more expensive, but best of both worlds. It adjusts by itself so you get good damping and comfort depending on the speed of compression/rebound. Either way you'll get comfort with better chassis dynamics. This will cost $2-3k in parts. PP2 will cost extra $20k+ over your 2013.

Of course S550s come with more tech, so it's up to you. But you can get what you're looking for from the S197. Of course you can't change the interior, but ride/handling wise no problem.
Old 4/26/19, 09:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Monster.
I'm going to look at your suggestions for springs and dampers. What about sway bars, leave them alone or look at new ones?
Old 4/26/19, 10:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks Monster.
I'm going to look at your suggestions for springs and dampers. What about sway bars, leave them alone or look at new ones?
I can plus one the Bilstein shocks. They control the ride motions very well. And Bikstein quality is top rate. I run them with the GT500 hats.

My car is primary track and fun, but they are fine on the street.

I am on stock sways with poly bushings and it is neutral. My tires sizing is square so YMMV.

With few exceptions there isn’t a bad coil out there. Pick one from the go racing guys. Rather than the get slammed guys.

There are are a million opinions as to how to handle the rear bump stops after a drop. You can read yourself to death and make your own choice.

Like I said, my S197 is very lightly modded, but it takes a pretty hot and well.driven car to run and hide.