2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Clutch Bearing Issue? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 4/11/19, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Bearing Issue? Help!

Hello All!

I have a 2007 S197 V6 with a manual 5 speed.

For the past year I have a noise coming from my transmission. I only hear it when the clutch pedal is NOT pressed and I am in neutral. As soon as I press the clutch pedal down, the noise goes away. While driving, shifting, etc. it all sounds normal. Clutch was replaced at 86k, I am now at 112k.

I changed my gearbox oil when it started with no luck.

It definitely sounds like a bearing, but I do not know which (and if I should be concerned).

Any idea?
Old 4/11/19, 09:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
If you're not referring to the 'purring' the transmission may do in neutral? The input shaft turns when the clutch is let out, and that is always engaged by a gear to another shaft (I believe the T5 it'll be the output shaft? TR3650 is a countershaft.) Since that's happening the gears may 'purr' or 'whir' a little bit, and it's most noticeable next to walls. The sound will pitch up and down as you rev the engine, as the engine spins the input shaft faster and slower.

If it's not that, then on the face of it it sounds like one of two things: Throwout bearing/slave cylinder. Or the input shaft. And perhaps, in the T5, given what's happening, the output shaft... maybe. Can't say I'm a T5 expert (not that I am a TR3650, but I needed to know why it's so... weird.) In any event you're taking the transmission out to see what the heck has happened.

Might I suggest, if they weren't done at the 86K clutch replacement, a new pilot bearing, replacement main seal for the engine, clutch slave cylinder/throwout bearing? Be a shame to have it out and not do them this time if they weren't before.

When you're not hearing the noise, it's probably because other things are drowning it out, but it could be that being engaged in a gear changes alignments/mesh of the gears and it goes away? Maybe.

I'd say it's time to take it to a tech if you can't/won't/don't wanna do it yourself.

Last edited by houtex; 4/11/19 at 09:21 PM.
Old 4/16/19, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
Might I suggest, if they weren't done at the 86K clutch replacement, a new pilot bearing, replacement main seal for the engine, clutch slave cylinder/throwout bearing? Be a shame to have it out and not do them this time if they weren't before.
Thanks - after research I THINK it might be the slave cylinder bearing, but not positive. The clutch was replaced a month before the vehicle was sold to me, so I don't think the current owner wanted to put any extra money that didn't need it at the time, unfortunately.

It has been like this for about a year or so now (I only drive it in the summer months). Is there any pressing need in your opinion that I should take it to my mechanic soon? Or can I keep driving it as is? Worst case scenario if it is a bad bearing?
Old 4/17/19, 11:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Well. That's... not optimal.

You gotta know that slave cylinder is mounted around the input shaft. That cylinder then pushes the throwout bearing, which *rides* on the input shaft. And that throwout bearing pushes the clutch fingers to disengage the clutch so you can shift. This is the actual source of the sound, the throwout bearing is bad. It's either doing one of two things: It's grinding on its own bearings, or it's grinding the input shaft.

If that assembly is bad, the input shaft is getting eaten. And/or the clutch is potentially in danger too. And if the thing blows apart, chunks of throwout bearing... sleeves... not good. You're then talking a whole new clutch/flywheel... maybe a housing... dunno, all things are possible when whirring things have a rapid uncontrolled disassembly event happen.

As discussed before, though, it could also be the input shaft, bad bearing on it or gears not meshing right...

Bottom line, and especially after a whole year of this going on: You need to take that directly to a mechanic. Do not pass go, but hopefully collect 200 bucks, 'cause you're taking that transmission out.

Last edited by houtex; 4/17/19 at 11:06 PM.