2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Help! Engine Safety Mode

Search this Thread

Old 3/24/19, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help! Engine Safety Mode

I have been having a problem with my 2005 Mustang GT, 2nd and 3rd gear have a miss in them when given gas. And three times the car has stalled and said Engine Safety Mode, but no check engine light and no codes come up. I have read online that it is sometimes caused by the throttle position sensor, but i have a Ford Racing 62mm throttle body on it and can't seem to find the same part number for it. I have a tune in it, but its been the same one for a few years, should i try retuning it. Please help if anyone has any info!

This is the tcp on the Ford Racing throttle body I found the lower number but with a different top number does it matter?
Old 3/24/19, 03:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Are you talking about this one?

https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-...dy-0510gt.html

Expensive lil' beast... It appears the part number is M-9926-3V, and can be found in many places.

It *sounds* like this is the problem, somewhere, in that the motor, gear or throttle position sensor (the A1GE-9E928-BA part number) could all be the problem. It could also be the throttle pedal assembly being 'out of tune' or not working.

You can reset the throttle pedal this way: Turn key on, but do not start. Depress throttle pedal slowly, all the way to the floor, over 5 seconds. Release. Start car. Go drive.

You can do that and the throttle body and the computer's dynamic tune by pulling the battery negative cable and waiting 20 minutes, then put the cable back on. Do the throttle thing above, go drive for 10 miles in moderate speed stop and go streets, half with A/C, half without. (Also do the windows down, hold two seconds, windows up, hold two seconds to reset those, and the time on the radio.)

I'd do the 'reset the car' thing first, but it sure sounds like what I was having an issue with on my throttle body. Wound up replacing the whole thing. Motor/gear was not happy. Now I have a spare throttle body and new TPS sensor, if I can get a motor/gear on it that doesn't bind the butterflies, I'd just have a spare hanging around just in case. They do sell those, they're Dorman, but the ones I got both bound up the thing, so... yeah.

Hope some of that helps, good luck!
Old 3/24/19, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by houtex
Are you talking about this one?

https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-...dy-0510gt.html

Expensive lil' beast... It appears the part number is M-9926-3V, and can be found in many places.

It *sounds* like this is the problem, somewhere, in that the motor, gear or throttle position sensor (the A1GE-9E928-BA part number) could all be the problem. It could also be the throttle pedal assembly being 'out of tune' or not working.

You can reset the throttle pedal this way: Turn key on, but do not start. Depress throttle pedal slowly, all the way to the floor, over 5 seconds. Release. Start car. Go drive.

You can do that and the throttle body and the computer's dynamic tune by pulling the battery negative cable and waiting 20 minutes, then put the cable back on. Do the throttle thing above, go drive for 10 miles in moderate speed stop and go streets, half with A/C, half without. (Also do the windows down, hold two seconds, windows up, hold two seconds to reset those, and the time on the radio.)

I'd do the 'reset the car' thing first, but it sure sounds like what I was having an issue with on my throttle body. Wound up replacing the whole thing. Motor/gear was not happy. Now I have a spare throttle body and new TPS sensor, if I can get a motor/gear on it that doesn't bind the butterflies, I'd just have a spare hanging around just in case. They do sell those, they're Dorman, but the ones I got both bound up the thing, so... yeah.

Hope some of that helps, good luck!
Thanks for the Info going to have to try the car reset. then the TCP.
Old 3/31/19, 01:09 PM

Angry Nothing is helping!

I have switched the throttle body back to the stock one and de-tuned the car nothing! I tried resitting the system, nothing! This is driving me crazy! I replaced the plugs and coil packs a few years ago. Still has a hesitation in 2nd & 3rd and sometimes 4th. When it goes into Engine Safety Mode it shuts the car down completely. I just don't know what it could be!
Old 3/31/19, 08:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Are you using an oiled air filter? Have you tried cleaning the mass air flow sensor. If they get dirty or oily they can create all sorts of drive-ability issues. Did you use a code reader/ scanner that reads all the Ford modules in the car? Did you check both the KOEO and KOER self tests for codes? Here's some info "Chart 1" that might help you. http://iihs.net/fsm/?d=9&f=Step%203-...Charts.pdf&p=1
Old 3/31/19, 08:34 PM

I did clean the MAF. I have a SCT-4 scanner/tuner it didn't find any codes in the system. Unforgivably I have no idea what the KOEO and KOER self tests are.
Old 3/31/19, 10:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
No problem, KOEO means checking for codes with ignition key ON but engine not running. KOER means checking for codes with ignition key ON as well with engine Running. I have no idea if the SCT-4 Tuner will do both functions. You'll just have to try to see if it works in both conditions. Good luck.
Old 5/28/19, 08:34 PM

Well I thought had it licked but today she died on me again. Did get a set of codes this time. Please and info will help!