General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Clutch Whine While Depressed And In Gear

Search this Thread

Old 11/14/18, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch Whine While Depressed And In Gear

All,

This being my first post, I am sorry it is a diagnostic one.

When the car is running in idle and I depress the clutch there is no noise. But when I put the car in gear there is a quite whine coming from under the car around the clutch area. This noise goes away once you start to engage the clutch which is fairly close to the floor. It is not a typical bearing noise so I am not sure if this is the clutch or the transmission.

Any thoughts.

I can capture an audio track of this if you all think that would help.

Jeff
Old 11/14/18, 09:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Don't be sorry. We're here for ya! And welcome aboard!

---

First, what car, engine? The type of car and even engine may make a difference in the guessing, but typically the clutch pedal, quadrant/master cylinder, cable/hose, clutch fork/slave cylinder are typically not going to produce any whining whatsoever. So you're down to pilot bearing, throwout bearing, input shaft bearing, then bearings/gears in the transmission, so bear that in mind.

So the second question is what do you mean by 'clutch area'? If you mean behind the center console, then yeah, that'd be right in my mind. If you actually mean the pedal area... that's weird, and I have no further guessing or questions.

Have a gander at this video, which describes an *internal* transmission input shaft/idler shaft bearing issue.

Notice how the noise is only when the clutch is being let out, and changes when the engine is running higher RPM. This is not your issue, seems. Your issue is backwards to this. So it is not likely the transmission idler or input shaft. As it also does not make noise all the time, we can likely rule out the pilot bearing as not being an issue. And while it's *possible*, I suppose, I don't find it likely the clutch itself is the issue.

I therefore guess it's the throwout bearing. It sounds most likely. If it's released/out, then it is not spinning. Or shouldn't be anyway. When it's engaged/in, then it's spinning with the clutch, and therefore will make the noise.

All that said, the best choice is to take it to a shop and have them look at it on a rack. While it's nice to get a guess from here, the reality is this: It needs proper diagnosing, and I'm going to bet that whatever it is, the transmission's comin' out. The only thing is whether it's outside the transmission or inside it at this point.

Anyway, that's my guess. I'm pretty sure I'm right. Hope that helps!

Last edited by houtex; 11/14/18 at 10:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (11/20/18)