2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Do you like the push button start?

Search this Thread

Old 4/10/18, 09:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Do you like the push button start?

I bring this up because on an unrelated forum I'm apart of, there's been a heated discussion about push button starts. A lot of people were surprisingly against them. Much like those who've always driven a manual.

I really like having it. Don't have to mess with pulling out my keys. But it does have some issues. As far as I could tell, there's no way to put the car in neutral without having to start the car.

Curious if aftering having one, do you still hate it? Love it? Or have gotten used to it?
Old 4/10/18, 10:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like it, mainly because the key never leaves my pocket ... I also have a manual that I can put into neutral anytime I want !!

But, when I get into any other family car (all w/o PB start), I tend to now forget to pull the key out of the ignition and take with me. Not a problem on the two other cars I drive regularly, because they both have the outside key pad to get back in.

I also always install a kill switch on the key-in-ignition chime so I'm not getting that silly reminder when I open the door to get out of these other cars. Only time I turn it ON is when I bring a car in for service.

So that would be the other thing I like about the PBS ... this 2016 Mustang is the 1st car in 40 years I've NOT messed with the key-in-ignition buzzer or chime !!

Doug
Old 4/15/18, 03:49 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Woody24!! I love the push button start! I have a 6spd manual!

What's the need to go into neutral with the car off?
Old 4/15/18, 03:57 PM
Banned

Woody24, I believe that's an anti theft situation! If you can put the car into nuetrl with the car off, the car is easier to steal! We certainly don't want that! I put my car into gear when I turn it off, to lock the rear tires, along with the Emergency brake!
Old 4/15/18, 06:29 PM

Talking The getaway

Love the push button start, I remember when they were illegal in NY.
The cops were worried we would disconnect the neutral safety switch, leave the car in first take a running jump into the front seat ( assuming it was a convertible ) press the button and leave them in the dust.
Old 4/15/18, 07:26 PM
Bullitt Member

I had to move the car back a foot from the front wall to be able to access the hood. In my '06, you'd just have to turn the key forward to the accessories to be able to put the car in neutral without starting it. No need to open the garage door. But with the new one, I had to open the garage door, start the car, put in reverse, move 1 foot, and be done.

I did see online that there's a way to release it, just need to lift up the shifter cover. The old one also had a manual release under a cap next to the shifter.
Old 4/17/18, 11:28 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
I have the push button start on another car, and really like it also. I'm looking forward to having it on the '18. So convenient not messing with the keys.
Old 4/23/18, 04:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a love/hate relationship with it. Every time I go to turn the car off, I find myself reaching for the steering column to grab the non- exsisting keys. Old habits die hard I guess.
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (5/7/18)
Old 4/23/18, 05:58 AM
GT Member

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I have read that it can be a problem for older folks who are used to having to turn off a car with a key and extract the key. Apparently since they don’t have to physically extract the key, they just forget to turn the car off and leave it running in the garage. Next thing the garage and possibly house is full of carbon monoxide.
Old 4/23/18, 07:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Crashnburn
I have a love/hate relationship with it. Every time I go to turn the car off, I find myself reaching for the steering column to grab the non- exsisting keys. Old habits die hard I guess.
I do that too, but only sometimes. Hasn't been everytime. Another thing I do is reach to turn off the automatic headlights when I don't need to.

Originally Posted by ZGrand
I have read that it can be a problem for older folks who are used to having to turn off a car with a key and extract the key. Apparently since they don’t have to physically extract the key, they just forget to turn the car off and leave it running in the garage. Next thing the garage and possibly house is full of carbon monoxide.
I've heard about that too. I almost forgot to turn off the car too once right after I got it.

Another thing that I have done was turn off the car while backing out of the driveway. I don't ever remember what I was meaning to do, I hit that button while I was still backing up, and it shut off the car.

Last edited by woody24; 4/23/18 at 07:08 AM.
Old 4/23/18, 06:15 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
I have the push button start on my fusion, but still have a key for the Mustang. I am starting to get used to it after six months, but still wish I had a key. I still get in the car with my keys in hand and sometimes throw them in the cup holder since it is easier than stuffing back in my pocket once seated. I come close to leaving them in the car a couple of times a week.
Old 4/24/18, 08:16 AM
V6 Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I just got an new 2018 GT with this feature and getting use to it. For example, twice when moving the car, engine running, and exiting the car with my key in pocket, the horn sounds twice to alert me that the motor is on. Also these key fobs use a much larger watch battery due to the constant transmissions signals I guess. Do love the standard remote start feature with the 10 speed auto.
Old 4/25/18, 05:36 AM
GT Member

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by roger blose
I just got an new 2018 GT with this feature and getting use to it. For example, twice when moving the car, engine running, and exiting the car with my key in pocket, the horn sounds twice to alert me that the motor is on.
I wasn’t aware they did that. Nice safety feature.
Old 4/25/18, 06:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ZGrand
I wasn’t aware they did that. Nice safety feature.
It's nice for if you forget. But it's annoying for when you don't. Say you want to look at the engine running. You start the car. Shut the door and go to the front of the car to open the hood, and then it honks at you.

I always forget it honks, and it always gets me.
Old 4/25/18, 05:06 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, its stupid, keys were fine for decades, its not a lambo I dont want a button, or 5 different driving modes
Old 4/25/18, 07:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
I like the pushbutton. Only issue I have with it is that I can see myself accidentally bumping it while reaching for something in the tray underneath it. So I bought one of those flip up covers so that I can't hit it without opening up the cover. Works great for me.
Old 4/26/18, 02:00 AM

Sarge, I just watched a video where they experimented pushing the start/stop button while driving at different speeds. At speeds 5 miles an hour or less, the car would shut off. They then tried it at highway speeds and nothing happened. This was tried on a Ford Focus so I can only assume to have the same results on our Mustangs.
All I know that I am 100% sure that I’m not going to try it myself.
The following users liked this post:
Sarge (4/26/18)
Old 4/26/18, 02:06 PM
GT Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
In the early years all cars had foot activated push button starting. Eventually that was changed because the push button was considered old fashion. the key start was introduced, now its back to push button, only not foot activated. Can't wait for bell bottom jeans to return..
Old 4/26/18, 02:26 PM

Bell bottoms......I’d prefer to see hot pants make a comeback.
Wonder what will be next....voice activated start?
Old 4/26/18, 03:43 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Originally Posted by Crashnburn
Bell bottoms......I’d prefer to see hot pants make a comeback.
Only problem with that would be a few wearing hot pants 4 sizes too small!!!

Quick Reply: Do you like the push button start?