2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Back from the dead - new tires too!

Old 2/19/18, 01:31 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Back from the dead - new tires too!

Hi all... been a while since I posted. Winter does that to me. When Marilyn is stored, not much activity for me Mustang-wise. Work (the real reason) has been crazy though, as the government is abuzz with activity.

I hope you have all been good. Any new updates from the usual gang? Who's got some new mods to share? I plan on getting another toy within the next couple months - I'll start another thread for that in the right spot (it won't be a 2010-2014 lol)

I bought these for Marilyn last week. I just received it this weekend. I plan to get my shop to mount them maybe next week. For now, they'll sit in my climate controlled Garaj.

Old tires were Nitto NT555R's. They're 5 years old, and have about 14k miles on them. Overall, it was ok. A bit too hard, and loose on traction when I punch it. I debated between Toyo R888R's or these Mickey Thompson ET Streets, but ultimately went with the MT's.

Anyone running these tires? My size is 305 35 20.

I hope everyone is well. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Back from the dead - new tires too!-img_2644.jpg   Back from the dead - new tires too!-img_2646.jpg  

Last edited by FromZto5; 2/19/18 at 03:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (2/23/18)
Old 2/19/18, 02:00 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Hey Burton, welcome back! Hopefully 3 more weeks and we can get our toys out of the garage!

I'm good on tires (for now) though I likely have to run my directional tires in reverse this season to even out the wear (clockwise tracks only in my area).

I don't have any cool mods, but more of maintenance mods:
1) Sloted rotors
2) Re-manned rear calipers with high temp EPDM rubber seals (mine are leaking at very high pressure threshold braking events)
3) Ford racing low expansion rubber brake hoses (I currently have 3x SS and 1x OE style after the SS popped last season)
4) New brake fluid, switching to Castrol SRF at last
5) New pads on the rear, stepping up to Carbotech XP10
Old 2/19/18, 03:25 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Hey Burton, welcome back! Hopefully 3 more weeks and we can get our toys out of the garage!

I'm good on tires (for now) though I likely have to run my directional tires in reverse this season to even out the wear (clockwise tracks only in my area).

I don't have any cool mods, but more of maintenance mods:
1) Sloted rotors
2) Re-manned rear calipers with high temp EPDM rubber seals (mine are leaking at very high pressure threshold braking events)
3) Ford racing low expansion rubber brake hoses (I currently have 3x SS and 1x OE style after the SS popped last season)
4) New brake fluid, switching to Castrol SRF at last
5) New pads on the rear, stepping up to Carbotech XP10
Marty what's up buddy! Long time. Looks like you still have your ride?!?!?! Sounds like you've been good. You have done more maintenance than me. I have not touched pads, lines, seals, etc... at all. I did flush all the fluids a year ago though. So I'm good there.
Old 2/19/18, 06:39 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Marty what's up buddy! Long time. Looks like you still have your ride?!?!?! Sounds like you've been good. You have done more maintenance than me. I have not touched pads, lines, seals, etc... at all. I did flush all the fluids a year ago though. So I'm good there.
Hey buddy, I am doing well. Busy at work and winter has been dragging, but that's typical for this season It's been a while indeed. Settled into your new house? Hope all is well on your side.

Thankfully my blown brake hose happened right after I pitted and not on track. If it happened down the 140mph brake zone I would be a ghost. Or at least the car would be totaled. So the car (and I) live to race another day
Can't wait to see some pictures and vids when you get her out. Curious what your other vehicle might be

EDIT: Actually, I forgot one upgrade, I'm switching to the larger rear brake rotors (13.8" from GT500). Found a bracket on Ebay and snagged it.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 2/20/18 at 10:20 AM.
Old 2/20/18, 01:50 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,578 Posts
Hey there Burton, it's finally great to hear from you once again lol. Hopefully, we'll all be getting our rides back out soon as we're all sick and tired of friggin winter as well. Anyway other than waiting for winter to wrap up, everything else has been going fine and it appears that my next mod is going to be purchasing a set of OEM GT500 wheels from a friend of mine who owns a 2008 GT500 that also added the Super Snake package thru Shelby American. At any rate, his original OEM wheels have been sitting in his basement during the past 10 years just gathering dust and so when I found out he still has them, I asked if he might be willing to sell them. His response was, I can have them along with the original tires for $600.00. Needless to say, I agreed without hesitation as you're not going to find a better deal for OEM factory GT500 wheels and tires than that. As for my reason behind purchasing them? I also want to run tires that provide a taller sidewall for better overall ride quality over my current 20" wheel and tire setup so after upon doing some extensive research, I found that most folks are running between 275/40/18 - 285/40/18 in a square setup on the GT500 18x9.5" wheel with 45mm offset that appear to have no rubbing nor clearance related issues. That being said, I'm hoping that either 275 or 285/40/18's will provide a noticeable sidewall improvement in ride quality. In the meantime, hang in there just a little bit longer and before you know it, both you and Marilyn will be out cruising once again

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 2/20/18 at 01:52 PM.
Old 2/22/18, 05:24 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Hey buddy, I am doing well. Busy at work and winter has been dragging, but that's typical for this season It's been a while indeed. Settled into your new house? Hope all is well on your side.

Thankfully my blown brake hose happened right after I pitted and not on track. If it happened down the 140mph brake zone I would be a ghost. Or at least the car would be totaled. So the car (and I) live to race another day
Can't wait to see some pictures and vids when you get her out. Curious what your other vehicle might be

EDIT: Actually, I forgot one upgrade, I'm switching to the larger rear brake rotors (13.8" from GT500). Found a bracket on Ebay and snagged it.
Thanks Marty! Yes, definitely getting settled in the new house. Haven’t been able to use the lift much, since it’s just used primarily for storage this season. I did change my wife’s Prius oil lol

I forgot you race or track your car. Are you enjoying that? Someday for me maybe - but I’m too chicken. Let me know about the larger GT500 brake upgrades. Someday maybe for me.

As for my next toy - haven’t bought it yet. Soon maybe????

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Hey there Burton, it's finally great to hear from you once again lol. Hopefully, we'll all be getting our rides back out soon as we're all sick and tired of friggin winter as well. Anyway other than waiting for winter to wrap up, everything else has been going fine and it appears that my next mod is going to be purchasing a set of OEM GT500 wheels from a friend of mine who owns a 2008 GT500 that also added the Super Snake package thru Shelby American. At any rate, his original OEM wheels have been sitting in his basement during the past 10 years just gathering dust and so when I found out he still has them, I asked if he might be willing to sell them. His response was, I can have them along with the original tires for $600.00. Needless to say, I agreed without hesitation as you're not going to find a better deal for OEM factory GT500 wheels and tires than that. As for my reason behind purchasing them? I also want to run tires that provide a taller sidewall for better overall ride quality over my current 20" wheel and tire setup so after upon doing some extensive research, I found that most folks are running between 275/40/18 - 285/40/18 in a square setup on the GT500 18x9.5" wheel with 45mm offset that appear to have no rubbing nor clearance related issues. That being said, I'm hoping that either 275 or 285/40/18's will provide a noticeable sidewall improvement in ride quality. In the meantime, hang in there just a little bit longer and before you know it, both you and Marilyn will be out cruising once again
Rocky! What’s up dude! Long time! I was hoping you were still on. How about Gabe and other folks like Gary etc. they still on? 600 bucks for oem gt500 wheels? I need some pics. That’s a good deal man!
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (2/22/18)
Old 2/22/18, 07:33 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts

As for my next toy - haven’t bought it yet. Soon maybe????Rocky! What’s up dude! Long time! I was hoping you were still on. How about Gabe and other folks like Gary etc. they still on? 600 bucks for oem gt500 wheels? I need some pics. That’s a good deal man!
Well you may mean Pennsylvania Gary but yeah we are both still here
Old 2/22/18, 09:00 PM

Thanks Marty! Yes, definitely getting settled in the new house. Haven’t been able to use the lift much, since it’s just used primarily for storage this season. I did change my wife’s Prius oil lol

I forgot you race or track your car. Are you enjoying that? Someday for me maybe - but I’m too chicken. Let me know about the larger GT500 brake upgrades. Someday maybe for me.

As for my next toy - haven’t bought it yet. Soon maybe????

Rocky! What’s up dude! Long time! I was hoping you were still on. How about Gabe and other folks like Gary etc. they still on? 600 bucks for oem gt500 wheels? I need some pics. That’s a good deal man!
Hey Burton! it's definitely been awhile since posting on the 2010-14 subforums, however, there hasn't been much activity going on during this offseason although I've been posting over on the 2005-09 subforums pretty often lol. Anyway, both Garys' have been around and so has Gabe, but not very much lately. In the meantime, as soon as I pick up the GT500 wheels sometime this upcoming spring, I'll post pics for sure. Also congrats on your new tires for Marilyn

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 2/22/18 at 09:03 PM.
Old 2/23/18, 07:22 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Hey, Burton great to see you are back online. Was wondering what happened to you. Hope you and the family are enjoying that new place! From what I hear the MT tires are a lot like the Cooper RS3-S’s. Rubber maybe a slightly different formula, but same/similar tread design. The RS3-S are what came on the 13/14 Roush builds. Great tires. Got 16k on them after 4.5 years, very sticky, handle well. Hope to get one more summer out of them before replacing.

Glad to see you are still around! Good luck with the new treads!

Last edited by shaneyusa; 2/23/18 at 07:25 AM.
Old 2/23/18, 12:41 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Well you may mean Pennsylvania Gary but yeah we are both still here
Oh I meant BOTH of you (Mustang Freak Gary and TMS Staff Gary)

You been good? Sorry I've been awol. What's funny is when I peruse the other Mustang forums, some of them might be indeed more knowledgeable than our forum, but man they sure can be such corkscrews about it.

Hey Burton! it's definitely been awhile since posting on the 2010-14 subforums, however, there hasn't been much activity going on during this offseason although I've been posting over on the 2005-09 subforums pretty often lol. Anyway, both Garys' have been around and so has Gabe, but not very much lately. In the meantime, as soon as I pick up the GT500 wheels sometime this upcoming spring, I'll post pics for sure. Also congrats on your new tires for Marilyn
Rocky! Yeah, not much activity on forum and on my car. She's going on 7 years, and just purring like a kitten. No change in mods, really - because she's at a point where she's perfect. Just detail, maintain, and drive. I heard Gabe is married now? Girlfriend, fiancee, and now wife. He's done for. LOL

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
Hey, Burton great to see you are back online. Was wondering what happened to you. Hope you and the family are enjoying that new place! From what I hear the MT tires are a lot like the Cooper RS3-S’s. Rubber maybe a slightly different formula, but same/similar tread design. The RS3-S are what came on the 13/14 Roush builds. Great tires. Got 16k on them after 4.5 years, very sticky, handle well. Hope to get one more summer out of them before replacing.

Glad to see you are still around! Good luck with the new treads!
Very much enjoying the new place, I may have attached this pic before, but this is literally how it sits for the last few months. We love our new home - I have to get the TVs and fan this year I think. Debating if I wanna run Satellite to it, or just use over the air, or even just Netflix, etc.

As to the tires - The RS3-S are drag radials? Because these MT ET Streets are drag radials and uber soft. I wouldn't think they'd offer up drag radials on Roush's off the floor? I could be wrong. My criteria for tires = don't care about tread life, or tread wear, don't care about wet performance. I want PURE STICK on dry road. Period. Don't care if it requires replacement in 10k miles. That will take me 5 years. LOL.

As to my next toy vehicle, I will start another thread in the right forum - I have to get your guys' opinion, but am hoping to pull trigger around end of March. It's a big deal. LOL
Old 2/23/18, 02:12 PM

Hey Burton, everything you heard about Gabe getting married to his longtime fiancee is true. So yes, he's done for just as you said
Old 2/23/18, 06:00 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
As to the tires - The RS3-S are drag radials? Because these MT ET Streets are drag radials and uber soft. I wouldn't think they'd offer up drag radials on Roush's off the floor? I could be wrong. My criteria for tires = don't care about tread life, or tread wear, don't care about wet performance. I want PURE STICK on dry road. Period. Don't care if it requires replacement in 10k miles. That will take me 5 years. LOL.
Nope RS3-S is not a drag radial... Thought you were talking the MT comp. So you are doing some serious racing?
Old 2/23/18, 07:08 PM
Post *****

I've been great

I'm alive

I got SVTPerf for the info. I come here for the peeps. What's left of them anyway.
Old 2/23/18, 07:58 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,615 Posts

I heard Gabe is married now? Girlfriend, fiancee, and now wife. He's done for.
Well you can add me to the married and done for pile as well. I got remarried this past November. Hope all is well with you.
Old 2/24/18, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Well you can add me to the married and done for pile as well. I got remarried this past November. Hope all is well with you.
Happy belated congrats, Gary. If I had known back in November that you got remarried, I would've posted my congrats to you back then lol.
Old 2/24/18, 02:38 PM
Post *****

Suckers
Old 2/24/18, 08:09 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Suckers AGAIN
Fixed
Old 2/24/18, 08:09 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Happy belated congrats, Gary. If I had known back in November that you got remarried, I would've posted my congrats to you back then lol.
Thanks!
Old 2/28/18, 10:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 386 Likes on 283 Posts
Burton, it's good to have you back. The only new thing here is I'll be posting in the S550 section some in 6 -8 weeks, I hope.

Last edited by wanted33; 2/28/18 at 10:34 AM.
Old 3/4/18, 10:13 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Welcome back FromZto5, I've been dead before and it was not fun.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Back from the dead - new tires too!