Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight ground wire?

Search this Thread

Old 10/25/17, 09:20 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Headlight ground wire?

Hey guys, simple question. I'm 99.99% sure it's the green, but before I go and cut it, which is the ground wire?

I'm having intermittent hyperflashing in my blinkers. I have the Raxiom Vector tail lights. Simple plug and play, nothing I could mess up in the wiring. I had LED reverse lights in the reverse area, had the problem, switched to CANbus LED's from superbrightled.com (supposed to fix hyperflashing), still had the problem but now intermittent, and finally said **** it and put in stock reverse bulbs, still intermittent hyperflashing.

This link I'll put at the bottom states that sometimes HID's in your headlights can cause hyperflashing because of something to do with it sharing a ground with the tails? Or something, I really don't know. I'm not knowledgeable much at all with wiring, but grounding off the headlights to their own bolts is simple enough for me to do no problem.

Link: https://v-ledsblog.com/2010/10/26/it...chback-quirks/

Old 10/25/17, 01:30 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
I doubt its the green one. Most likely the black one.
http://iihs.net/fsm/?d=40&f=Headlamps.%20Autolamps.pdf
Old 10/27/17, 10:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Generally the black wire will be the ground but why don't you test it and see which wire stays cold when you switch on the lights.
Old 10/27/17, 01:30 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Generally like has been said black is ground in automotive and green or bare is ground in construction.
Old 10/27/17, 06:50 PM
V6 Member

Sorry, I've been on vacation the past few days. But I wasn't aware of that haha. I did construction work for a few years so I guess that's just why I assumed green. Glad I asked first!
Old 10/29/17, 09:45 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
You're welcome. Glad to of been some help.
Old 1/21/18, 09:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So which wires did you tap into to get this to work? I've tried black + green and black + blue but the resistor never got hot so I didn't do the other side and left it alone for now.

I can't believe that this question is not being asked more often. Hyperblink driving me crazy
Old 1/21/18, 12:22 PM
V6 Member

Before I went and did anything, I kept reading about what causes the hyperflashing and realized that headlights shouldn't affect/cause it. Go to your actual blinkers. I have the blinkers that will normally light up as a normal white light LED, and then blink orange when I use my blinker.

These are where you want to put your resistors. You just tap into the positive with one wire from the resistor, and the ground with the other. I can't remember which color the positives are for these, but if you have no luck finding it I'll get under my car and take a picture.

If you do not have LED's for your turn signals in the front, do you in the back? I don't know much about the wiring back there so I don't know which wires to tap into for the resistor. If you don't have LED's on any of your turn signals, I can't help you there.