Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

No idea what this is...

Search this Thread

Old 10/21/17, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No idea what this is...

Hi, this is my first post. I have an 05 V6 convert. 5 speed. It has 107k miles on it and has never had a problem till now. It is running fine! I saw a small puddle under car, it feels like really light oil almost clear in color. Seems to possibly be coming from the round thing in center of attached picture. I don't know what is it.
*******Picture I think is upside down?? Not sure why**********

Any ideas? Hard to fix?

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails No idea what this is...-20171021_163641.jpg  
Old 10/22/17, 07:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
The round thing in the middle of the picture is the rear bushing on the lower control arm. I've heard they're oil filled, but that seems like a lot oil everywhere. Do you feel any shaking in the steering wheel or hear any clunking going over bumps? If the bushing ruptured you would definitely notice the control arm flopping around.

The repair isn't horrible, but the space is a little tight back there next to the firewall/footwell area. There are companies like Steeda that make replacement bushings for around the $100 mark (no more oil either) and say take an hour to complete. I've never done the swap though -- my ball joints went bad first (twice) and since they're pressed into the A-ram, I ended up replacing the entire control arm with a BMR unit. They use a solid delrin (plastic) bushing instead so I never had to deal with the hydra bushing leaking
Old 10/22/17, 08:26 AM

I haven't noticed anything abnormal while driving. I'm going to jack up the car today and try to get a better look.
Old 10/22/17, 09:07 AM

And the puddle dried up, so maybe it's not oil?
Old 10/22/17, 10:07 AM

Ok it appears to be water, what could be leaking that far back in the engine?
Old 10/22/17, 11:33 AM

So I think I found it....i think it's the thermostat housing. Not sure how hard it is to replace, have to do it myself (I'm female but am mechanically inclined and do work on my vehicles) just cant afford a shop charge right now ☹
Old 10/22/17, 11:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
The antifreeze Ford used on these cars is yellow, and with the amount, that makes a lot more sense. It smell sweet?

doesn't look too bad to do: