General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Winter Driving?

Search this Thread

Old 10/18/17, 03:20 PM
V6 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Winter Driving?

Since I purchased my Mustang in late January this year, I didn't have to deal with any snow and ice. (just a LOT of rain) That said, this will be the first full winter with my Mustang it and it looks like it's going to be a cold one.

So I was wondering what you do to prep for winter driving when your Mustang is your daily driver?

Also, how do you deal with traction control and a manual trans? Mine kicked on while I was driving up a gravel driveway and stalled. I ended up turning it off but not sure if this is normal or how it will effect driving in snow? This is the first manual transmission car I have owned with traction control.

Thanks
Old 10/18/17, 05:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a 2005 with auto trans so take this as you will.
I have been daily driving my Mustang since I bought it in Dec. 2004.
I always drive with the traction control off.
I put true winter/snow tires on it and put two 60lb. bags of sand in the trunk for the winter.
Other than that I just make sure all my fluids are good.
That's really all I ever did for winter prep and I've been good all these years.
I'm sure there's a long list of winter prep that I don't do!
Drive smart and you should be fine.If you know what you're doing you can have a lot of fun in the winter and still get around safely.
Old 10/18/17, 06:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by dbpbandit
Since I purchased my Mustang in late January this year, I didn't have to deal with any snow and ice. (just a LOT of rain) That said, this will be the first full winter with my Mustang it and it looks like it's going to be a cold one.

So I was wondering what you do to prep for winter driving when your Mustang is your daily driver?

Also, how do you deal with traction control and a manual trans? Mine kicked on while I was driving up a gravel driveway and stalled. I ended up turning it off but not sure if this is normal or how it will effect driving in snow? This is the first manual transmission car I have owned with traction control.

Thanks
My car is a DD(stick) and I bought a set of Snow tires that I use for winter driving. I do have to drive in the snow some . If it is too nasty out, or too deep, I either work from home or car pool with the wife, and wait for the roads to be plowed.

I left my TC on and have not had any problems, yet. It has kicked on and I let out of the throttle. I dont recall stalling it with TC on.
Old 10/18/17, 07:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
I have a stick and almost always leave traction control on. I find that the only time I'm better off without it is when I'm at very slow speed in deepish snow when I'm trying to not get stuck, like pulling in or out of the driveway before I've shoveled it.

With four good snow tires and a light foot on the throttle, it does fine. Just remember to respect the fact that you're not on dry pavement and you can't drive it like you are.
Old 10/19/17, 07:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
06 gt auto here near chitcago. Always ran all seasons with no extra weight in the trunk. Its been through some pretty good snow falls without missing a beat. I always Felt that if I put weight in the trunk I would loose a little steering control. I believe the 05 and up are all pretty much 50/50 weight bias front to back?
Old 10/19/17, 08:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
If the weight in the back is behind the rear axle, you'll lose a little steering effectiveness. Keep the weight over the rear axle or ahead of it and you'll keep the same weight or more on the front wheels.
Old 10/19/17, 10:48 AM
V6 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
These are all great suggestions, thank you.

I think the added weight in the trunk is a great idea, as long as it's over the axle.

My house is on somewhat of a hill so that's where I'm sure I'll have the most challenge.
I may play with the TC on/off and see how it does, I'm always aware of the roads here, they can be tricky if your not paying attention. My main concern is the TC and how best to use it with a manual trans. That time it stalled on that gravel driveway was more my fault than the TC, I just didn't react well and it caught me by surprise. Thanks again, great advise.
Old 10/19/17, 06:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarge
I have a stick and almost always leave traction control on. I find that the only time I'm better off without it is when I'm at very slow speed in deepish snow when I'm trying to not get stuck, like pulling in or out of the driveway before I've shoveled it.
Same here, and never stalled it w/ T/C on. If you feel the engine's bogging too much, slip the clutch a little bit. You can turn off the T/C but at least on my '06 I find the transition's a little abrupt if you're still moving. And getting started again can be a pain in the *** if you stopped to turn it off.

You can also turn it off and use the e-brake together with the clutch to try to smooth it out and/or keep yourself from rolling backwards (besides cutting the throttle, T/C is using the rear brakes anyway). It takes some practice but you might have an easier time if you're the one in control.

I've driven mine through a couple of the big snow storms in the DC area -- I point out DC because like anyone south or east of Pennsylvania, they have no idea how to clear roads. Anyway, good tires are a must like everyone says. I've gotten away with Michelin and Continental DWS all seasons -- and with those Michelins, I couldn't believe what I was able to get away with.

Other than that, carry a shovel and at least 60 pounds or more of sand like Gary said or kitty litter, over the rear axle. I've used freeweights too, but at least when you get stuck you can pour out the litter/sand under the tires and get some traction. I prefer 10 lb bags of litter so if you open one to use it, you don't have a big open bag spilling around in your trunk.

And oh yeah -- take it to the car wash regularly (especially after they dump a bunch of fresh salt) and get the undercarriage washes! I grew up in the rust belt and my first car was so bad, you could reach up into the door through the rust holes! (handy for fixing my broken window linkage though )
Old 10/19/17, 07:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
With winter tires I always use at least sport mode, to get a little wheel slip. Winter tires work just fine with a little slip, and will allow you to remain in control just fine if you're easy on the throttle. Keeps the car moving, and will allow the tires to do work when kept at a reasonable level.

With all seasons (or my now mostly worn winters...) I usually keep TC on, as the slip is too difficult to keep under control.