Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Chasing a Shelby GT350 at the track - VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/17, 10:54 AM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Chasing a Shelby GT350 at the track - VIDEO

My 2011 GT chasing (my friend) Chris's 2017 Shelby GT350 at the track. Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch, Sept 24. Mansell layout, 3.4 miles. I ran steady 2:58 laps on street tires, when I was able to get clean laps. Great fun day with my track friends. I'll post photos, too.

Old 9/25/17, 05:58 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Nice work Pete, that looked like great fun. Interesting line through that corner at 1:35. Is that an early apex or a double apex?

Your friend needs some more seat time I think
Old 9/25/17, 06:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,022 Posts
Cool video, thanks for posting.

Yeah that's an interesting line through that double apex or whatever it was; is that the normal line or dictated by the slower car in front of you?

Interesting to listen to the automatic transmission on the track . . . at first I asked myself "either that's an automatic or he's the quickest manual shifter I ever heard" then checked your sig and sure enough, it's an automatic. Do you use manual mode? It seemed like it was in a higher gear in some of the corners and then downshifted coming out.

I will admit that, one of my coolest moments on track, was getting passed by a GT350, wide open on the main straight . . . and yeah I think the guy in the GT350 with me had a little more seat time than your friend.
Old 9/25/17, 10:12 PM

Hey guys, thanks. Yes, that turn at 1:35 is an interesting one. Lots of drivers (and instructors) take it differently. For a long time I stayed left wide wide wide and avoided the first rumble strip. But after several variations, I found that just kissing that first rumble strip and kind of 'diamonding' into the main apex allowed me to carry more speed. So that's what I did all day. I may mix it up the next time, also. Yes, my friend in the Shelby has only run this course a handful of days (me...much more). So it's more like I had my local track knowledge going for me. The Auto trans...mine is a 2011, so no manual shifting mode. It shifts well enough, and allows me to hold gears pretty high. About 1-2 times per lap it may shift too early in error, but that's okay. Let's just say that if I were to run a race tune for track days (wink-wink), it works well. Ps: my friend's Shelby color is Lightning Blue, and stunning in person. Also, he removed his resonators, and the car sounds amazing...I actually enjoyed following him for a while!
Old 9/30/17, 11:03 AM

added some pics: