GT

Opinion On Black Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 9/17/17, 02:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Opinion On Black Wheels

LETS SEE WHERE THIS GOES
Different strokes for different folks, 28 flavors, and so on. (you get the idea)

Many Mustang owners like the totally black wheel addition to their cars.
Many of the wheel designs are great looking. Only problem is that you can not see the design or style until you are right on top of them.
Some people say "They take away from the look of the car"
Some people say "They enhance the look of the car"
Some people like the Murdered out look (Totally blacked out look)
What do you guys think and why?

Bottom line no matter what you choose enjoy your ride.
Old 9/17/17, 03:32 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
To me it also depends on the color of the car. Mine being silver looks just plain blah with silver wheels.
Old 9/17/17, 04:33 PM

Contrast is a good thing.
Old 9/17/17, 06:06 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Isn't there a very similar thread on this topic already?
Old 9/17/17, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Isn't there a very similar thread on this topic already?
Do not know only been here two days. If there is one Moderators please delete.
Old 9/17/17, 06:20 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Originally Posted by Blast From The Past
Do not know only been here two days. If there is one Moderators please delete.
Not trying to be a smartarz I just remember something similar. Maybe it was called 'Show us your black rims'?
Old 9/18/17, 08:38 AM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I just seen a white Shelby posted in another wheel thread & he had chrome wheels on it at first but then went to solid black wheels. I seem to prefer lighter wheels on lighter cars. my grabber blue stang has stock 2011ish gt500 vert 18s but theyre charcoalish?? lol

Last edited by SilverSkoundrel; 9/18/17 at 08:48 AM.
Old 9/19/17, 08:31 AM
V6 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This topic has been beat to death, but it IS an important topic IMHO. Let's face it, wheels are a huge part of the overall appearance of any vehicle.

Personally, I am amazed that black wheels have gained popularity. Even the nicest black wheels are hard to see. And if the car is moving, then one black wheel looks same as the next one. I guess if you want it to look like your car has no wheels, then black is a good choice, LOL.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of black wheels, but to each his own. It's much easier for me to understand gold wheels, or blue wheels or some other custom color. But black, I just don't get the appeal........
Old 9/19/17, 09:39 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Mojo88
And if the car is moving, then one black wheel looks same as the next one.

this statement is the same for all colors of wheels
Old 9/19/17, 12:14 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverSkoundrel
this statement is the same for all colors of wheels

True
Old 9/19/17, 01:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
Yeah I think this topic has been discussed many times, but what the heck, it's a fun topic.

I like black wheels, but they need some kind of silver or colored rim to separate them from the tire. Otherwise it all looks like one big black blob, especially when the car is moving.
Old 9/19/17, 01:44 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Bert
Yeah I think this topic has been discussed many times, but what the heck, it's a fun topic.

I like black wheels, but they need some kind of silver or colored rim to separate them from the tire. Otherwise it all looks like one big black blob, especially when the car is moving.

I was just reading a reply that you did on AFM lol
Old 9/19/17, 07:30 PM
GT Member

I'm pretty happy with how my black wheels stand out

Old 9/20/17, 08:18 AM
V6 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fourdegrees11
I'm pretty happy with how my black wheels stand out

Now see, you made my point for me. If you look at the close-up pics, then yeah, the wheels are very visible. But then look from the full-size pic to your avatar pic (same pic, just smaller). In the smaller pic, it looks like you have NO wheels. That particular effect (disappearing wheels) only seems to happen with black wheels. Look at the wheels in my avatar pic, even tho it's small pic the wheels are still very conspicuous.

Nice car btw, no offense meant at all!

Last edited by Mojo88; 9/20/17 at 08:23 AM.
Old 9/20/17, 09:16 AM
V6 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
To each his own but I'm not a big fan of black wheels either.

I just bought a 2007 Shelby GT and one of the first things I'm going to do is change the wheels.

As someone said in this thread earlier (or alluded to) black wheels along with black tires really just don't do the car any justice and leave it looking bland.

Just my dos centavos.
Old 9/20/17, 12:16 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mojo88
Now see, you made my point for me. If you look at the close-up pics, then yeah, the wheels are very visible. But then look from the full-size pic to your avatar pic (same pic, just smaller). In the smaller pic, it looks like you have NO wheels. That particular effect (disappearing wheels) only seems to happen with black wheels. Look at the wheels in my avatar pic, even tho it's small pic the wheels are still very conspicuous.

Nice car btw, no offense meant at all!
None taken, to each their own. Real life isn't avatar sized and my car looks like the big pictures in person
Old 9/20/17, 06:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My take on black wheels is you need something to contrast it with. I like it when it is all black car and some calipers that stand out like bright red or yellow. Me personally like the silver or gray wheels. I got a base GT and really like my wheels cause they look like the bullet or torque thrusts from the older Mustangs.
Old 9/27/17, 11:34 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Wheels are a very personal thing. Everyone has an opinion. For me, not a fan of all black, prefer polished aluminum, painted, or chrome. Like said above the color of the car makes all the difference.

I think with black you need to have some machined metal showing or it just looks like you bought the cheap wheels or lost your hub caps.

But... I think that dates me. Most of you guys probably do not know what a hub cap is. Anyway, I have seen a few black wheel setups that look pretty sharp, but it is hard to pull off. My kids like black wheels, but mostly so they do not have to clean off the brake dust...
Old 9/28/17, 05:56 AM
V6 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by shaneyusa
Wheels are a very personal thing. Everyone has an opinion. For me, not a fan of all black, prefer polished aluminum, painted, or chrome. Like said above the color of the car makes all the difference.

I think with black you need to have some machined metal showing or it just looks like you bought the cheap wheels or lost your hub caps.

But... I think that dates me. Most of you guys probably do not know what a hub cap is. Anyway, I have seen a few black wheel setups that look pretty sharp, but it is hard to pull off. My kids like black wheels, but mostly so they do not have to clean off the brake dust...

I agree completely. I'm not sure of your age but I'm 46 and I think it is mostly a generation thing.

I think the same thing when I see a car with black rims, oh there is a car with no hub caps.

But to each his own.
Old 9/28/17, 07:55 AM
GT Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by MDMachiavelli
I agree completely. I'm not sure of your age but I'm 46 and I think it is mostly a generation thing.

I think the same thing when I see a car with black rims, oh there is a car with no hub caps.

But to each his own.
When I bought my GT I got the PP and one reason was the beautiful gloss black wheels. As far as a generation thing you may be right. I finished high school in 1966 and most of the student cars in the parking lot had removed the hub caps to reveal the black rims. It gave the car more of a hot rod look. If you wait long enough everything comes back in style.