Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

No sound from door speakers at low volume!

Search this Thread

Old 9/17/17, 06:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
No sound from door speakers at low volume!

I have a question, that smarter people than me, have probably already found an answer to.

I replaced the door speakers and the rear package tray speakers with the Pioneer TSD6802R that everyone was talking about a few years ago. I also bought the wire adaptors and rewired them to the correct polarity. Everything was good until this past year when I realized that the door speakers were silent when the volume was low. If I turn the volume up, the door speakers turn on and work fine. Even if I lower the volume to where it was, they continue to work for awhile then they might go out again.

I haven't noticed anything with the rear speakers, only the doors. Doing a Google search, it seems that this is common on many Ford vehicles. I didn't find an exact fix to this issue, as the problems I found seemed to cover everything from speakers, to wiring, to head units and amps.

On a 2014 GT, is there something that I need to replace, or add to the system, to have the speakers work ALL the time? Thanks
Old 9/17/17, 12:09 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I replaced the rear deck and the door speakers back in 2010 with the Pioneer TS-D6802 R. Last year one of the door speakers went to crap, I replaced both the door speakers with JBL's and like them pretty good You 'might' be having a speaker going bad . At least the door speakers are easy to change
Old 9/17/17, 12:15 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Could also be a loose wire or something going bad in your radio I hope its something simple.
Old 9/17/17, 04:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Both door speakers experience this. If we start the car and the radio volume is low, only the rear speakers will be on. When I turn up the radio, both door speakers kick on. If I turn the volume down, all 4 speakers are working equally for awhile, then one door speaker or both will cut out again. It's almost as if the amplifier can't drive the speakers at a low volume.
Old 9/17/17, 06:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Make sure the Speed Compensated Volume is turned off.
Old 9/18/17, 06:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
Originally Posted by TheReaper
Make sure the Speed Compensated Volume is turned off.
and balanced front to back
Old 9/18/17, 04:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Really? A car has four main speakers and two of them intermittently work, and you are suggesting the speed compensation and fade? I did mention that if I turn up the volume, the front speakers start working. In speed compensation, all speakers should be at the same level, so if I can hear the rear, I should be able to hear the fronts. And the fade won't change with volume. If the system is balanced at higher volume, it should also be balanced at the lower volumes.

So, what am I missing where these are the suggestions? If there is a valid technical reasoning to it, I'll bite, but the logic behind the issue doesn't follow the suggestions. You guys have been here much longer than me, so please educate me on this. Thanks
Old 9/19/17, 06:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
just throwing **** against the wall and see if it sticks..... Did it stick. Actually I was just running up my post count.
Old 9/19/17, 11:03 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by scottmoyer
Really? A car has four main speakers and two of them intermittently work, and you are suggesting the speed compensation and fade? I did mention that if I turn up the volume, the front speakers start working. In speed compensation, all speakers should be at the same level, so if I can hear the rear, I should be able to hear the fronts. And the fade won't change with volume. If the system is balanced at higher volume, it should also be balanced at the lower volumes.

So, what am I missing where these are the suggestions? If there is a valid technical reasoning to it, I'll bite, but the logic behind the issue doesn't follow the suggestions. You guys have been here much longer than me, so please educate me on this. Thanks
Like you I don't know what's wrong with your sound system either. Good luck with finding a solution.

Last edited by TheReaper; 9/19/17 at 02:36 PM.
Old 9/19/17, 04:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
just throwing **** against the wall and see if it sticks..... Did it stick. Actually I was just running up my post count.
lol. That works for me!!

If I find something, I'll let you guys know.
Old 9/20/17, 06:17 AM
GT Member

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Had something similar happen on my truck, though it was only one of the front speakers. Replaced the speaker and it worked fine.
Old 9/20/17, 10:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Make sure the impedance (Resistance) of the front replacement speakers match that of the OEM speakers. It almost sounds like your overheating the amp-out circuit which is usually thermally protected to avoid damage. A speaker with higher resistance values would force the amp to work harder than it's designed to, overheat and clip out. Thermal protection is usually a heat sensitive relay which closes once the circuit cools. Just a thought.

John