General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Washington DC and day trips

Old 7/23/17, 05:26 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Washington DC and day trips

I'm considering a week in DC during early October. My wife hates museums with the heat of a 1000 suns, whereas I love them. I can get most anywhere I want museum-wise on the Metro. Not even thinking of driving into DC. So, I'm considering day trips from the Alexandria, VA area with a rental Mustang (naturally). One looks doable, along Skyline Drive from Front Royal to I-64 and back to Alexandria. Is that a reasonable one day drive without completely flogging myself? Where else should I look for scenery, etc?
Old 7/23/17, 09:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
early October should be good for skyline drive. there should be done leaves still on the trees (but check the Webcam's on their website). That's not unreasonable driving wise as long as you don't hit traffic. Maybe 1- 1 1/2 hours to get there. Figure $25 to enter the park and anywhere from 2-4 hours to drive it depending on how much you stop, and how fast you go (watch for cops, BTW). Probably a good idea to pack a lunch because aside from picnic areas theres nowhere to eat. Probably 2 1/2 hours to get back to Alexandria from the southern end.

if you're into that sort of thing, there Luray Caverns towards the end of skyline, maybe about 45 min out of the way

Last edited by Cavero; 7/23/17 at 09:06 PM.
Old 7/23/17, 09:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You can also check out Great Falls for scenery.
Old 7/24/17, 07:22 AM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts
If you've never been to Gettysburg, you can be there in about 1 1/2 hrs from Alexandria (depending on traffic). They have auto tours on CD that you can purchase for around $20 (I believe) and you can drive at your own pace and don't even have to get out of the car if you don't want to.

Harper's Ferry WV also about 1 1/2 hrs from Alexandria and is pretty that time of year.

Annapolis in probably under an hour.

I would also warn you to watch your speeds in VA. I think they consider 20 mph over the speed limit as reckless driving.
Old 7/24/17, 05:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 08GTCandyApple
I would also warn you to watch your speeds in VA. I think they consider 20 mph over the speed limit as reckless driving.
That's affirmative, got close a couple times myself
Old 8/3/17, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All great ideas and a great time to visit the area! RE skyline drive, if you go on a weekend be ready for traffic. I hear ya about the museums, but if you can talk your wife into it you may want to visit the Udvar-Hazy Air & Space...Museum.

https://airandspace.si.edu/udvar-hazy-center

Lastly, I too can confirm that in VA 20 over or 80+ is considered wreckless.

Search this Thread