2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

How to install gauge lights on 2016 Mustang GT?

Search this Thread

Old 6/26/17, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to install gauge lights on 2016 Mustang GT?

I own a stock 2016 Mustang GT. It of course didn't come with MyColor and I was wondering if there's a way to change all of the dash lights (All of the gauge lights, and even the ones around the radio and such). Thank you all ahead of time.

Thought: Are there some kind of bulbs that can be switched out? If so, what socket # or w/e?

Christian
Old 6/27/17, 09:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
There are no bulbs. All lighting in these cars are now SMD LEDs.

There are three routes, shortly listed:

1) Removal and disassembly of all components desired to the point you can get at the LEDs. Removal of 'wrong color' LEDs, solder on 'right color' (you get to pick one color, choose wisely) LEDs, reassemble, reinstall, done. You now have a custom color on your not-MyColor car. It's tedious and time consuming, but it's just parts, solder, tools, and patience. It has been done. I probably wouldn't bother, myself.

2) The car is 'MyColor ready.' Meaning that, with the exception of the Instrument Cluster needing to be 'married' to the car (move mileage, program it in), everything is unplug 'wrong', plug in 'right', and tada, MyColor.

3) The car is NOT 'MyColor ready.' Meaning that in addition to 2) above, the wiring and or other components such as the Smart Junction Box is not going to work with the new components. These would also require replacement.

It's getting to the point that, much like a Laptop or Tablet or even Smartphone, if it the car doesn't have everything you want/need, you needed to not buy it in the first place, because upgrading it may be not possible or practical.

I'm not saying you can't do it. I mean, I always say give me a dremel and a hammer and I can do anything. Just... there's other things in life, y'know? This might not be something to do... but you do you. Good luck!

Last edited by houtex; 6/27/17 at 09:24 AM.
Old 6/27/17, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you! Forgive my ignorance, I'm very new to the whole car-modding thing, so with that said, but how would I know whether it was the second or third scenario that you gave me?

Where do I even look? Is there a specific way to take it apart, or not really?
Old 6/27/17, 05:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I cannot advise on an S550. If it's any indication, previous models (05-14) have been *somewhat* straight forward, apparently. You simply plug in the stuff and get the car reprogrammed with an 'As Built' for the new dash. That has to be done at a Ford dealer.

So it may be that Scenario 2 is the right one. You... really don't want Scenario 3. At all. But again, that's *previous models*, and the S550 may be a whole other case. You can google for 'convert to mycolor mustang' on google and read more.

'05-09' was really simple, as it was only the instrument cluster back lights. All other switchgear was green and that was that, hence the Scenario 1 mention. A very determined '05-09' driver really wanted his switches and radio to match the dash... in one color. Blue. So he did that. More work than I wanna do, but good on him. I'm sure others have followed his lead. But swapping the instrument cluster would still need programming, and there's two kinds, v6 or v8 on top of it all. But other than that, it's 'just' a swap out. The Ambient lighting setup was a wholly separate thing, and not connected to the gauge cluster at all. So you could have orange in the cluster and purple in the footwells or such like that.

'10-14' was more complicated, to a certain extent, as it integrated the instruments, switchgear, and ambient lighting into one cohesive thing. So to do a mycolor on that is a full on swap out of all the things(tm).

'15 and up, if I read right, is like 10-14, except that you can now separately control ambient versus gauges and switches. Or something.

Whatever the case, honestly, I'd advise you to get friendly with an actual Ford Service Technician (NOT the writers, unless they're really into this stuff) to get better detail on your specific situation.

Last edited by houtex; 6/27/17 at 05:29 PM.