Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Brake Pedal Feels Loose

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/17, 11:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Brake Pedal Feels Loose

I've had this feeling for quite a while but never thought serious about it, probably just in my head. Has anyone had this sensation that the brake pedal feels a bit loose?

I'm talking about the assembly loose feel, there is a long travel distance between the point where first stepped on pedal until getting the pressure built (before stopping the car). Not sure if this makes sense.

Also I get clicking, like the pedal itself dangles away if let go of it after the stop. I don't know how else to put it. Feels/sounds flimsy?

Is there a bolt or some sort we can torque down??
Old 6/18/17, 08:49 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
I've had this feeling for quite a while but never thought serious about it, probably just in my head. Has anyone had this sensation that the brake pedal feels a bit loose?

I'm talking about the assembly loose feel, there is a long travel distance between the point where first stepped on pedal until getting the pressure built (before stopping the car). Not sure if this makes sense.

Also I get clicking, like the pedal itself dangles away if let go of it after the stop. I don't know how else to put it. Feels/sounds flimsy?

Is there a bolt or some sort we can torque down??
to me it sounds like 2 separate issues.

1) pedal rattling or feeling loose may be something you can influence with mechanical commection between the pedal box and the pedal itself.

2) long pedal stroke before you get deceleration sounds like a separate issue to me. The pedal pushes on the input rod to the vacuum booster. Vacuum booster amplifies your pedal force and pushes on the master cylinder, which in turn moves fluid via the plumbing to the calipers. Long pedal feel often times means high compliance in the hydraulics. It could be air, high expansion of seals, brake lines or flex lines. Or if you feel the pedal has to keep moving to maintain excel you may have a leak.

For 2) I would recommend doing a brake bleed with fresh fluid. You could get SS lines at the same time to help firm up the feel.
The following users liked this post:
PonyMuscletang13 (6/18/17)
Old 6/18/17, 05:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thank you for kind input 5.M0NSTER!

Maybe it's time for upgrades, haven't done anything to the brakes since bought the car new 5years ago haha. I have the stock Brembos. So far I've planned to replace the pads and do the gt500 rear swap.

The loose feel (or sounds loose) is when move my foot from brake to gas, when the pedal is let go. It dangles like cheap plastic. Now I regret not mentioning this to the dealership when bumper to bumper was still intact...Sigh. But who pays that kind of attention to the 'brake pedal' when the car stops with no problem and makes no squeak.

Perhaps it is indeed 2 separate issues. The pedal also feels 'Spongy'. Will the Braided Stainless Steel brake lines help? What's a brake bleed? Fluid change like an oil change? Motul RBF600? Arghhh... I need to re-do my list
Old 6/18/17, 07:40 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Hey PonyMuscle,

Oh, I may have misunderstood your first issue. Does the pedal return to initial position when you release it? I can't recall if there is a return spring on the pedal, or if that's inside the vacuum booster...

As for spongy feeling I think new pads and fresh flush of brake fluid will go a long way. SS lines reduce brake line expansion, particularly under track conditions when the brakes, the fluid and the lines get hot. They help, but unless you take the car to auto-X or track days it might be overkill. If you do appreciate a solid feeling pedal under your foot SS lines do help.

Fresh fluid will help. Brake fluid typically absorbs moisture from the air making in more compressible, and lowering boiling point. If you got the brakes really hot even once, the vapor will create air in the brake lines, which makes the spongy feeling even worse. I use Motul RBF600, but my car is a weekend warrior on road courses. If you're staying mostly on the street or even running up and down canyons I think you'd be fine with any DOT4 Synthetic brake fluid off the shelf.

Good luck!

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 6/18/17 at 07:44 PM.
Old 6/18/17, 09:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks again for kind advise.

Just added the SS lines and fluid to the list I'll be re-doing the suspensions soon (Bilsteins, H&R Springs, Mm Bumpsteer Kit) and thought it'd be easier to do brake pads, rear swaps at the same time when everything comes off.

Yeah, I prefer solid over loose. Nice n tight, a snug fit. Heavier steering wheels, mgw shifter. My younger brother has a 14GT, I'm going to examine his brake pedal and see if it's doing the same hehe.
Old 6/20/17, 11:20 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks again for kind advise.

Just added the SS lines and fluid to the list I'll be re-doing the suspensions soon (Bilsteins, H&R Springs, Mm Bumpsteer Kit) and thought it'd be easier to do brake pads, rear swaps at the same time when everything comes off.

Yeah, I prefer solid over loose. Nice n tight, a snug fit. Heavier steering wheels, mgw shifter. My younger brother has a 14GT, I'm going to examine his brake pedal and see if it's doing the same hehe.
Totally off topic by why are you switching out your suspension?
Old 6/20/17, 05:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

The SoCal roads are starting to get really rough on me. It's either that or I'm getting too old.
Old 6/25/17, 07:59 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
deleted

Last edited by VIP1; 6/25/17 at 08:03 PM.
Old 6/25/17, 11:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The SoCal roads are starting to get really rough on me. It's either that or I'm getting too old.
Lol. Sadly I know what you mean. I've bean thinking of swapping my Koni sports for bilstein. Same reason as you brother.
Old 6/26/17, 06:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
After reading about Bilsteins on Vorshags website I decided to give them a shot. I liked them so much I ended up installing them on my DD a 1996 Lincoln Town Car which is in exectional condition. I got tired of replacing the OEM ones every 25k miles. Bilsteins can be rebuilt and do not fade with the extreme desert heat(monotube). They adjust to road conditions through the internal valving.
Old 6/28/17, 10:54 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
SoCal roads are way smoother than most other states I've driven in.
(I'm in Costa Mesa right now.)
The only part that sucks are the dips at some intersections.
My Firebird's nose would definitely scrape on them.

Last edited by VIP1; 6/28/17 at 10:57 PM.