Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Problem at 36,773 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 5/17/17, 07:15 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Problem at 36,773 Miles

Red, light viscosity, fluid leaking on garage floor today at 36,773 miles - 773 out of warranty. 2014 V6 Mustang no problems at all up to now except heater core cracked at 300 miles. They had to pull dash and seats to fix. I was able to drive 5 miles to the dealership with no issues - did not overheat. I ckecked coolant and it looked full. Could this be another heater core leak? I know it will be a lot of money and a long repair outside of warranty if it is. Is Ford likely to still cover under warranty since it is only 773 miles over?
Old 5/17/17, 07:23 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
Heater core would leak engine coolant, which isn't red. It sounds like it could be automatic transmission fluid by the color. Ford may or may not cover it depending on your relationship with the dealer. It doesn't hurt to try.
The following users liked this post:
tucsondivots (5/17/17)
Old 5/17/17, 07:40 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Ford's coolant is an orangish-red.
tucsondivots (5/17/17)
Old 5/17/17, 07:49 PM
GT Member

It is orangeish red, light viscosity. Coolant level seemed full. Service advisor said transmission warranty is 5year/ 60K miles. Any chance it could just be a hose?
Old 5/18/17, 01:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Hello there,

This may or may not be the case but it sounds an awful lot like so just for reference.

I was checking under the car and saw a wet spot like a coffee spill on shirt. My initial thoughts were a water residue from a/c but the color was somewhat orange red.

Long story short, the dealership performed 'coolant pressure test' and...it turned out to be a coolant leak.

Here are the parts that were replaced:
- THERMOSTAT HOUSING - FORD (BR3Z-8A586-M)
- UPPER HOSE - FORD (BR3Z-8260-BA)
- CONNECTOR HOSE - FORD (DR3Z-8566-A)

Mine is a 13GT, and it had 37K on the clock this March. So yes, I too were out of bumper to bumper but luckily the repairs were done under the powertrain.

Oddly though, the powertrain would only cover the Thermostat Housing (plus the labor) and not the other two hoses. I had to pay those out of pocket. Smart thing to do here is try and ask for price match. The dealer retails on parts are quite pricey.

Last edited by PonyMuscletang13; 5/18/17 at 01:41 AM.
tucsondivots (5/18/17)
Old 5/18/17, 07:23 AM
GT Member

Thanks. Mine was a pretty big puddle and I smelled something before I saw it. But I will keep this in mind if they cannot diagnose. Anything besides having to tear out the dash, etc for another bad heater core!
Old 5/18/17, 02:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Is there any way to make a case for the leak being caused by their replacement of the heater core? After all, it's only been about 36,473 miles since then...
tucsondivots (5/18/17)
Old 5/18/17, 05:54 PM
GT Member

If it is the heater core that will be my argument. First "possible" per the service advisor is the water pump. Slow process because they need "Ford Certified Tech" to inspect. Seems strange to me (is this a special person?) but they said could be covered under Powertrain Warranty. Maybe same as
PonyMuscletang13 said earlier.
Old 5/18/17, 06:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Aren't all Techs at Ford dealership certified?? Unless the Ford is sending out an engineer, it sounds like a BS to me. Maybe short-handed is what they meant...

The Pressure Test is suppose to check most of the leakages including the water pump, as it was one of my concerns too at the time.

Also, Ford honors 12-months 12,000-miles repairs guarantee that were done within the factory warranty, 2-years if done outside the warranty (correct me if I'm wrong). When did you have the heater core done?
Old 5/18/17, 08:01 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
Aren't all Techs at Ford dealership certified?? Unless the Ford is sending out an engineer, it sounds like a BS to me. Maybe short-handed is what they meant...

The Pressure Test is suppose to check most of the leakages including the water pump, as it was one of my concerns too at the time.

Also, Ford honors 12-months 12,000-miles repairs guarantee that were done within the factory warranty, 2-years if done outside the warranty (correct me if I'm wrong). When did you have the heater core done?
--Sounds like BS to me as well but willing to accept if it gets warranty coverage.
--Not sure what tests have been run. Will borrow the wife's car tomorrow and discuss face to face.
--Heater core cracked at 330 miles! Soaked carpets with coolant. They had to take out dash and seats and replace carpet. Thankfully, no rattles after completed and still none at 36K miles.
Old 5/20/17, 08:21 PM
GT Member

Ford dealership I purchased my Mustang from says leaking red fluid is result of failing water pump. They have agreed to replace it under the Powertrain Warranty. Based on what I have read about many dealers finding ways to avoid warranty coverage for this issue, I am pleasantly surprised. Pump has to be ordered so they told me it is ok to drive as long as I watch coolant level. So far, leaking is minimal.
Old 5/28/17, 05:01 PM
GT Member

The leak did turn out to be the water pump. Like PonyMuscletang13, they confirmed it with a pressure test. My dealer here in Tucson (Jim Click) stepped up and covered it under the Powertrain Warranty. They replaced the hose, water pump, changed the oil, rotated tires, did the airbag recall and supplied a free rental (took 2 days). Zero cost to me.
Old 5/28/17, 06:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Awesome! Glad they took care of it. I was lucky(?) to find out when I did, before my powertrain ended. Hopefully the repairs will hold.

I've seen quite a few bmw m3's water pumps go out as well, supposedly a design flaw of some sort. So, Ford is not alone in this. But again, it's not pleasant to have such issues. I thought these things were built tough.
tucsondivots (5/29/17)
Old 5/28/17, 11:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by tucsondivots
The leak did turn out to be the water pump. Like PonyMuscletang13, they confirmed it with a pressure test. My dealer here in Tucson (Jim Click) stepped up and covered it under the Powertrain Warranty. They replaced the hose, water pump, changed the oil, rotated tires, did the airbag recall and supplied a free rental (took 2 days). Zero cost to me.
Have you been getting your regular service from Jim Click? How has it been?

I got mad at them during the buying process and went to Oracle Ford, who has been doing my service. But I don't have any experience with Jim Click's service department.
tucsondivots (5/29/17)
Old 5/29/17, 05:51 PM
GT Member

Yes, I have used Click from the start. I have had good luck with Jim Peterson, Service Advisor. No complaints about the work done or customer service.