2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Intake+Tune?

Old 3/29/17, 01:05 AM
kmc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake+Tune?

Hey all, new here. I personally do not own a mustang but my parent do and have been wanting an intake for the car. I have been looking on eBay, American Muscle, etc and want to know some opinions on what intake to buy. My dad been eyeing up the K&N intake system since it doesnt require a tune. I want to get him something that will make more than just sound. That bein said I saw a JLT with SCT tuner for $600 on american muscle. Claims about 17 HP. Any suggestions?
Old 3/29/17, 02:43 AM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,580 Posts
Yeah ! Here's a suggestion.. Use the search forums function and type in intake & tune.. You'll then find plenty of threads which have been submitted over this topic time and time again..
Old 3/29/17, 02:46 AM
kmc

wow thanks for the smart *** response!! ill be sure to purchase that one! people like you are what is wrong with the car communit. It's a forum. It's where you ask questions. I've googled and many people have different answers. If you don't have any advice don't post.

Last edited by kmc; 3/29/17 at 02:52 AM.
Old 3/29/17, 03:04 AM

It's ignorant people like you who have no common sense is what the real problem regarding these forums.. And FYI newbie, if you can't handle constructive criticism when it's being provided, then don't bother asking for suggestions in the first place !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/29/17 at 04:20 AM.
Old 3/29/17, 03:09 AM
kmc

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
It's ignorant people like you who have no common sense is what the real problem regarding these forums are.. And FYI newbie, if you can't handle constructive criticism when it's being provided, then don't bother asking for suggestions in the first place !
Sure. Ignorant for asking a question. If you don't like a question on an open forum scroll past grumpy.
Old 3/29/17, 03:14 AM

It also appears you have a reading comprehension problem as well.. As I clearly suggested using the search forums function tab on this site.. Nothing was ever suggested about doing a freaking google search
Old 3/29/17, 03:16 AM
kmc

It also appears you have a reading comprehension problem as well.. As I clearly suggested using the search forums function tab on this site.. Nothing was ever suggested about doing a freaking google search

well you see google is a search engine. It's crazy. You type in a question and it brings up all sorts of articles including forum posts! Wow. Who would of known? I'm done talking to you. I forgive you. Sober up and maybe we can talk tomorrow morning.
Old 3/29/17, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by kmc
Sure. Ignorant for asking a question. If you don't like a question on an open forum scroll past grumpy.
More like being ignorant for not being able to take criticism in a constructive manner.. Therefore if your unable to accept that, then don't bother posting on this site at all !
Old 3/29/17, 03:31 AM
kmc

So what intake and tuner do you recommend?
Old 3/29/17, 03:47 AM

All you have to do, is look at the top of the home page.. You'll see a total of 10 links.. The middle link is the search forums link, it's right beside the new posts link and quick links.. You then press the down arrow to display the search forums box, type in your question, select go and that will display every single thread that's been posted about intake and tune.. This way, you don't have to wait around for someone to respond if you need answers to your questions right away.. The bottom line is this.. I was actually being helpful and not being some wise as* that you accused me as being.. And FYI: For those who know me best on this forum for nearly the past 11 years, will tell you just how supportive of a person I am !
Old 3/29/17, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by kmc
So what intake and tuner do you recommend?
My recommendation for a non-tune intake would be Airaid.. It's a completely all plastic and what's really unique about it is, it includes a 100mm built in MAF housing with a non-tune insert that allows you to run the intake without any re-tuning.. Then if and when you decide you want more engine performance that requires a re-tune of your car's PCM, you simply upload the tune from your tuning device and remove the non-tune insert.. Most of all, the Airaid intake also includes a lifetime unlimited warranty..

You can purchase the Airaid CAI and tuner from Brenspeed and American Muscle.. My personal choice would be from Brenspeed over AM..

Here's the links below for both American Muscle and Brenspeed..

http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid-cai-0509gt.html

http://www.brenspeed.com/3000airaid.html
Old 3/30/17, 06:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,018 Posts
This gets kinda complicated; there are loads of threads on it; and it's hard to summarize briefly without losing a lot of the context. So yeah the "search" function might help, though it can be a bit clunky and frustrating.

This also gets into the whole world of tuning and tuners and . . .

To keep it simple, the Airaid intake that 05 suggested is a pretty good choice, for the reasons he listed.
Old 3/30/17, 03:15 PM

My recommendation for a non-tune intake would be Airaid.. It's a completely all plastic and what's really unique about it is, it includes a 100mm built in MAF housing with a non-tune insert that allows you to run the intake without any re-tuning.. Then if and when you decide you want more engine performance that requires a re-tune of your car's PCM, you simply upload the tune from your tuning device and remove the non-tune insert.. Most of all, the Airaid intake also includes a lifetime unlimited warranty..

You can purchase the Airaid CAI and tuner from Brenspeed and American Muscle.. My personal choice would be from Brenspeed over AM..

Here's the links below for both American Muscle and Brenspeed..

http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid-cai-0509gt.html

http://www.brenspeed.com/3000airaid.html

I never knew there was an insert for a non tune CAI. I thought they just all came as is and work better if you have a tune. That's interesting to know. Thank for sharing. B)
Old 3/30/17, 04:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,018 Posts
Originally Posted by abcizdaman
I never knew there was an insert for a non tune CAI. I thought they just all came as is and work better if you have a tune. That's interesting to know. Thank for sharing. B)
OK, it's time for my CAI/tune basics primer again: LOL

Some aftermarket intakes require a tune because the tube in the mass air flow (MAF) metering section is larger diameter than stock. This is important because the MAF sensor basically measures the velocity of the air; then it does math using the diameter of the tube to get volume and mass of incoming air; then the EFI system "commands" the right amount of fuel to match the incoming air per the desired air/fuel ratio. If the diameter of the tube is bigger than the math thinks, then the computer calculates less air than is really coming in, it commands less fuel than is needed for the real amount of air coming in, and the car runs lean.

This is the ONLY reason an intake REQUIRES a tune. The tune is NOT required because the intake "flows more air" -- the EFI system automatically adjusts for the incoming air flow, it does this all the time. But it must have correct information on how much air is coming in.

So if the aftermarket intake has the same metering section diameter as stock, it does not require a tune; the car should run fine; and it can (theoretically) flow more air and produce a performance improvement. The insert in the Airaid intake funnels down the metering section so that it is the same diameter as the stock intake.

But as soon as you remove that insert, you must load a "tune" to correct the math for the bigger tube or the car will run lean.

A tune can produce performance improvements with or without an aftermarket intake. The biggest change in most tunes is more agressive timing advance, which has nothing to do with the intake.

Last edited by Bert; 3/30/17 at 04:49 PM.
Old 3/30/17, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by abcizdaman
Actually the Airaid/Roush intakes have always included modular venturi tubes, A.K.A non-tune inserts.. Airaid refers to their intakes as modular, meaning they can be used in 2 different ways.. The end user can choose to either convert the intake into a non-tuned option by installing the supplied insert into the housing tube which then reduces the MAF size down to 80mm stock or they can choose to take full advantage of the larger built in 100mm MAF by simply removing the non-tune insert and are then able to enjoy the full benefits of having a tuned intake.. C&L eventually followed suit and came out with their own non-tune insert versions for their street intakes and then Steeda followed suit within just the last few years with their insert versions..

However IMHO.. Airaid offers the better option over both C&L and Steeda, as Airaid has the largest MAF tubing size just behind the JLT series III as a tuned intake, but only when the non-tune insert is not being used

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/30/17 at 08:46 PM.
Old 3/30/17, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bert
OK, it's time for my CAI/tune basics primer again: LOL

Some aftermarket intakes require a tune because the tube in the mass air flow (MAF) metering section is larger diameter than stock. This is important because the MAF sensor basically measures the velocity of the air; then it does math using the diameter of the tube to get volume and mass of incoming air; then the EFI system "commands" the right amount of fuel to match the incoming air per the desired air/fuel ratio. If the diameter of the tube is bigger than the math thinks, then the computer calculates less air than is really coming in, it commands less fuel than is needed for the real amount of air coming in, and the car runs lean.

This is the ONLY reason an intake REQUIRES a tune. The tune is NOT required because the intake "flows more air" -- the EFI system automatically adjusts for the incoming air flow, it does this all the time. But it must have correct information on how much air is coming in.

So if the aftermarket intake has the same metering section diameter as stock, it does not require a tune; the car should run fine; and it can (theoretically) flow more air and produce a performance improvement. The insert in the Airaid intake funnels down the metering section so that it is the same diameter as the stock intake.

But as soon as you remove that insert, you must load a "tune" to correct the math for the bigger tube or the car will run lean.

A tune can produce performance improvements with or without an aftermarket intake. The biggest change in most tunes is more agressive timing advance, which has nothing to do with the intake.
Of course we all have Ford to thank for their Spanish Oak/drive by wire technology for that.. Unfortunately the good "ole" days of plugging in computer chips are nothing more than just a distant memory

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/30/17 at 08:57 PM.
Old 3/31/17, 06:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
I ran a JLT intake and tune for years before running stock intake with a tune. It made me sorry I spent money on the intake. I would go Brenspeed or Steeda before I went with the AM tune.

Also I think its very nice how 05 decided to be helpful
Old 3/31/17, 12:23 PM

Hey Glenn ! I've always been helpful

Search this Thread