2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Mustang help

Search this Thread

Old 3/27/17, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang help

I have an 05 Mustang Automatic V6. I was driving and lost all power. Thought it could be alternator so I replaced it because it was still the stock on. The day after I got in my car and went for a 20 minute drive and then the same thing happened. The battery was 4 years old with a good amount of corrosion on it. After replacing the battery since it was pulling low volts I tried to crank it over. It wouldn't start again, you can hear the engine try to crank, but it won't crank over. I heard the fuel pump engage when the key was on position, but wasn't sure if it was still a problem. I proceeded to spray starting fluid down the air pipe while a friend tried to start it. He thought it would be funny and pump the gas, followed by a fireball shooting out at me, so I know I'm getting spark or else it wouldn't have causedone the fireball. I hooked up my code reader to it and tried reading if it was the crankshaft position sensor or the camshaft position sensor. It didn't pull any codes from the vehicle and still won't crank over.... Any thoughts on where to start??
Old 3/29/17, 11:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
Austin, wish I could help you more, but I'm at best a shade tree mechanic. One place to look is the fuel filter if it hasn't been changed in a while. That's about all I've got. Good luck, and hopefully someone else will chime in with better help.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 3/29/17, 11:45 AM

Thank you wanted, I I'm literally stuck on this because it's getting spark because of the fireball but I'm leaning more towards the fuel pump not pumping enough pressure to the fuel rail. It could also be not enough spark for the engine to turn over but enough spark to cause a fireball. But the next place I was going to look with a fuel filter maybe it got clogged.
Old 3/29/17, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you mean it TRIES to crank? It either turns the engine over or doesn't...that means cranking. Now FIRING.....that means it fires but maybe won't stay running.
Did you clean those battery clamps well before you hooked up the new battery?
don-ohio
Old 3/30/17, 06:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
Sounds like weak battery or bad connections, I would make sure the battery is fully charged (put it on a charger) and clean and re-do the connections before chasing any other wild geese
Old 3/30/17, 10:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
Sounds like weak battery or bad connections, I would make sure the battery is fully charged (put it on a charger) and clean and re-do the connections before chasing any other wild geese
That makes sense Bert. When I read Austin's thread my mind told me the engine would turn over, but not start. Austin, can you give us a better idea of what's happened? Will the engine turn over, but not fire. Or, will it just not turn over.
Old 4/1/17, 07:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
The backfire concerns me. The only way a spark can reach the intake is if the valve or ignition timing is off. The spark is supposed to fire well after the intake valve closes

Last edited by 07 Boss; 4/1/17 at 08:45 AM.
Old 4/3/17, 03:09 PM

Yo I've changed camshaft sensors an alternator and check engine light still comes on??���� any idea at all was up??
Old 4/3/17, 03:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
That sounds like a Fusiable Link has blown out.