Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Sad Customer Service

Search this Thread

Old 3/27/17, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Sad Customer Service

My lifelong dream car, 2014 ragtop has dreaded paint bubble on hood. Neither Ford nor Dealership will help, just out of warranty. Makes me ill, its their bust. Any success advise out there?
Old 3/29/17, 02:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I don't really know, There is a TSB out on the hoods, but I think its dealer/fords description. I personally just went to a good body shop, showed them the corrosion/bubbles and asked if they could fix it and prevent it. They sanded it down and put some sort of compound on it then repainted it, Been 3 years now since I did it and no problems with corrosion/bubbles so far.
Old 3/29/17, 04:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Gravydog316
Best thing, unfortunately, is a lawsuit.
No, no its not. Ford already beat a class action lawsuit, so you would just be wasting a boat load of time and money trying that. Ford won't do anything since it is out of bumper to bumper warranty. In some cases a dealership will split the cost with you but it will still be a pretty penny out of your pocket. Im going aftermarket with my money when it comes back on my hood.
Old 3/29/17, 05:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
If you end up paying for this yourself, remember that many body shops offer an unlimited warranty on their work.

Be upfront: "Hey, the Internet says this is incurable, what can you do?" If they say they can fix it and it won't come back, you can trust their word. If they end up having been mistaken, their lifetime warranty will cover you.
The following 2 users liked this post by berzerk_1980:
David Young (3/30/17), tourer (3/30/17)
Old 3/29/17, 07:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
If you end up paying for this yourself, remember that many body shops offer an unlimited warranty on their work.

Be upfront: "Hey, the Internet says this is incurable, what can you do?" If they say they can fix it and it won't come back, you can trust their word. If they end up having been mistaken, their lifetime warranty will cover you.
^ This is your best bet in my opinion.
Old 3/29/17, 08:15 PM

my local dealr quoted 555.00 to re do the hood. is that in line with other experience out there?
Old 3/29/17, 09:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by qualitytym
my local dealr quoted 555.00 to re do the hood. is that in line with other experience out there?
My dealer body shop said that it is impossible to fix the problem on an existing hood and guarantee the problem won't come back. I ended up buying a pre-painted to match hood from Cervini's for just over $1000 (less than half the cost of a new, painted hood from Ford) and it's been great for almost a year so far. Not a bad way to set your car apart and also get rid of that crappy problem.
Old 3/29/17, 09:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sounds cheap.
Old 3/29/17, 09:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
My dealer body shop said that it is impossible to fix the problem on an existing hood and guarantee the problem won't come back. I ended up buying a pre-painted to match hood from Cervini's for just over $1000 (less than half the cost of a new, painted hood from Ford) and it's been great for almost a year so far. Not a bad way to set your car apart and also get rid of that crappy problem.
To kind of dovetail off what Kyle's saying, we are hearing this all over the forums from users going to multiple body shops.

The two I went to (one of which painted my hood to repair debris damage), insist this is fixable even if they have to redo the seams.

To make it clear, I'm not sure if I believe they can fix it, but that's not as important as whether the body shop believes they can and are willing to stand by it.

Last edited by berzerk_1980; 3/29/17 at 09:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tourer (3/30/17)
Old 3/30/17, 04:58 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980

This is right. My local body shop has a 'lifetime' warranty on 'what they do'.

I have a couple places on my hood that's been there for almost 7 years (May 2010). They haven't gotten any larger and I don't worry about them
Old 3/30/17, 04:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Find a good Ford dealer with a really good body shop. I have one and they are great. Fixed one of mine better than factory. I have 2 other mustangs that are really tuff to match, Gotta Have it Green and Ruby Red. My Green car has been hit several times.. But it matches perfectly. No signs on my hood or Trunk. My dealer said it is contaminates under the paint.

I wonder how the trucks are doing? Same paint process same Crappy water born paint.
Old 3/31/17, 05:09 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Only problem I've read for the trucks is the uncovered seam of sealant used on the roof. I haven't read anything about bubbles, like we have on the hood of a lot of the Mustangs.
Old 3/31/17, 07:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
My lifelong dream car, 2014 ragtop has dreaded paint bubble on hood. Neither Ford nor Dealership will help, just out of warranty. Makes me ill, its their bust. Any success advise out there?

I posted this in another hood corrosion thread:

http://avstop.com/ac/apgeneral/corro...numalloys.html

http://www.aviationpros.com/article/...ting-corrosion

Fighting corrosion
Once corrosion has been detected, treatment is a must. In some cases, the damage is superficial enough to be removed, and then for the repaired area to be protected with anti-corrosion products. In others, corroded components may have to be removed and replaced.
Traditionally, technicians have employed wax, oil, and paint in such areas; treatments that are both messy and have to be removed before future inspections can be done. In contrast, newer products such as NO COR are clean, transparent, and do not have to be removed for further inspections. Other anti-corrosion products of note include Corrosion Technologies’ CorrosionX Aviation spray penetrant, which can be sprayed over existing corrosion to displace moisture and prevent the further migration of electrons; and Granitize Aviation’s Xzilon 3AECI Aircraft Exterior Corrosion Inhibitor, which prevents oxidation on exterior paint and bright work.
Old 4/2/17, 03:27 PM

Going to have my local dealer do the hood. They will completely refinish both sides and say never had one come back on them, the car lot O bought it from is kicking in 350.00, so Im out 200.00. Fantastic dealer in Lafeyette IN.
Old 4/4/17, 09:14 AM

I have a small spot with this problem (paint Bubbling up). Can someone from Ford customer service tell me if my extended Ford warranty will cover this repair? Thanks.
Old 4/4/17, 10:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Going to have my local dealer do the hood. They will completely refinish both sides and say never had one come back on them, the car lot O bought it from is kicking in 350.00, so Im out 200.00. Fantastic dealer in Lafeyette IN.
That sounds like a great ending.
Awesome that the selling used car lot is helping out
Old 4/5/17, 12:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Anthonybay16
I have a small spot with this problem (paint Bubbling up). Can someone from Ford customer service tell me if my extended Ford warranty will cover this repair? Thanks.
Ford customer service doesn't really monitor this forum anymore but the answer to your question is simple - if you're within the 3 year/36K mile warranty, yes. If you're past that, it's completely up to your dealer.
Old 4/5/17, 12:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Its a common problem.
There SHOULD have been a recall YEARS ago.
Its sick!
They will only do anything if theres a class-action lawsuit,
but, then only lawyers will get anything.
You'd be lucky to get a free car wash...
thats sad.
(not to rant tho)
Recalls are for safety items.
Something where somebody might get hurt.
Nobody will get hurt from their hood paint bubbling due to rust.

But a Customer Satisfaction Program, now that's different, and they do exist.
As a Ford writer, I've handled plenty, and it's where the manufacturer extends the warranty on a particular item.

A while ago Jeep had an issue with the leading edge of the mid-90s Grand Cherokee hoods rusting, and they had a program on them where the customer would get taken care of.
It WOULD be nice if Ford did that for Mustang owners.
Old 4/5/17, 09:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Its a common problem.
There SHOULD have been a recall YEARS ago.
Its sick!
They will only do anything if theres a class-action lawsuit,
but, then only lawyers will get anything.
You'd be lucky to get a free car wash...
thats sad.
(not to rant tho)
Recalls affect safety items only. TSBs are for everything else.
Old 4/6/17, 02:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

i know, but they havent done anything in 10 years, & the extra aluminum made it worse over the last few years.
Huh?
Whatchya talking aboot?
What kind of Canadian English was that, eh?