GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 3/26/17, 10:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Advice needed

I have a 05 GT auto with 45k miles and garage kept. Overall it is a solid 9.5/10 with only minor paint chips as the only flaw. Being retired now, and now needing it for work, I want to upgrade. I was looking to replace shocks and springs with the FPP Handling pack along with new rear control arms. Staggered wheel and tire package from AM, Pypes Pype-Bomb Super system cat-back, and 3.73 gears. These improvements are being made in preparation of adding a supercharger later this year. Either the Edelbrock Stage 1 or the Paxton Throwback. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 3/26/17, 08:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Knowing there's a supercharger on the way, I would definitely focus on suspension to be able to handle the power.
Old 3/26/17, 08:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
BRAKES!
just make sure you don't forget to upgrade brakes, when adding a bunch of power!
Old 3/27/17, 07:04 AM

Any suggestions?
Old 3/27/17, 08:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
BRAKES!
just make sure you don't forget to upgrade brakes, when adding a bunch of power!
Why? The car isn't going to allow you to stop any faster than your tires will allow. If you can lock them up or engage the abs you aren't going to stop any faster than if you had bigger brakes. If you are road coursing the car then I would recommend upgrading the brakes at any power level only for heat dispersion. For spirited street driving or even 1/4 mile, just some good pads, rotors and fluid will be just fine, standard maintenance stuff.

For the OP, build from the ground up. Tires and suspension first. Then drive train and then add the power. Best recipe for success. Along with springs and shocks I would look at some lower and upper control arms with poly bushings. Don't forget to replace the UCA bushing on the rear end. I would look at possibly getting a new clutch but that is all dependent on how you drive and plan to drive it.

Last edited by 07 Boss; 3/27/17 at 08:16 AM.
Old 3/27/17, 10:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 07 Boss
Why? The car isn't going to allow you to stop any faster than your tires will allow. If you can lock them up or engage the abs you aren't going to stop any faster than if you had bigger brakes. If you are road coursing the car then I would recommend upgrading the brakes at any power level only for heat dispersion. For spirited street driving or even 1/4 mile, just some good pads, rotors and fluid will be just fine, standard maintenance stuff.

For the OP, build from the ground up. Tires and suspension first. Then drive train and then add the power. Best recipe for success. Along with springs and shocks I would look at some lower and upper control arms with poly bushings. Don't forget to replace the UCA bushing on the rear end. I would look at possibly getting a new clutch but that is all dependent on how you drive and plan to drive it.
I did not say BIGGER brakes!

I said upgrade brakes.

Just as you stated as well, good pads, rotors and good fluid will help greatly over stock parts!

If the OP knows about supercharging I assumed he knows what brake upgrades are.

If you are going to address what I stated please be correct in doing so!

The stock brake parts will start to fade after 1 high speed stop!
so going from 115+ mph at the end of a 1/4 mile run will induce brake fade on these cars stock.

Last edited by ElkGroveFordGuy; 3/27/17 at 10:32 AM.
Old 3/27/17, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the input. I am already planning on replacing the upper and lower control arms on the rear end when I install the handling package. Looking at BMR level 1 control arms from AM. I have replaced rotors and pads with performance parts in the past. Flushed out brake fluid twice in the 12 years I have had the car. The handling package will lower the car 1". Will a non adjustable upper control arm be ok with the 1" drop?
Old 3/27/17, 11:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sounds like you are on the path to greatness!
Old 3/27/17, 02:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

I did not say BIGGER brakes!

I said upgrade brakes.

Just as you stated as well, good pads, rotors and good fluid will help greatly over stock parts!

If the OP knows about supercharging I assumed he knows what brake upgrades are.

If you are going to address what I stated please be correct in doing so!

The stock brake parts will start to fade after 1 high speed stop!
so going from 115+ mph at the end of a 1/4 mile run will induce brake fade on these cars stock.

Easy tiger. Upgrading brakes is not being very specific and can be interpreted many ways. Upgrading brakes can mean a lot of things. Upgrading brakes can also mean adding bigger calipers with more pistons and bigger rotors. Most people I talk with would interpret it that way when they say upgrading brakes. If you are going to give advice you should be more specific so there is no ambiguity.

But I go back to your original statement about adding more power and upgrading brakes. One has nothing to do with the other is my point. What does running 600 hp have to do with stopping? I pegged my speedo when I was running 300 hp. I don't think I've gone that fast since putting the Whipple on. Stopping from 115+ requires the same stopping force whether you are running 300 hp or 1300 hp. When you say adding more power requires upgrading brakes you are implying that the brakes are needed because you are running more power. That is just not so. Upgrading brakes should not be reliant on power level.

Don't get so butt hurt when someone disagrees with you or doesn't understand what you are saying when you make broad statements like you did. Not everybody can read your mind. I asked some questions about your statement and you replied with exclamation marks like you're yelling at me for trying to help the OP and clarify what you were saying. But that's OK because I'm too old to take offense or care about petty internet antics. I'm just here to try and help because I love things with motors that go fast.
Old 3/27/17, 04:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

I do not want to hijack this thread any farther than has already been done.
BUT!
I will agree my original comment was vague, you are correct in that.
But that is the only thing you said that I can agree with.
To say there is no need to add upgraded stopping power when adding HP is very bad advice. I personally have built for my self and customers 50+ mustangs through the years, and have raced all types of vehicle professionally for some years, and before I ever add more HP I make sure that the suspension and brakes are up to the task. And a car with 300hp will not find its self in the same driving situations as a car with 1,300hp to quote you! Why do you think every REAL car builder upgrades brakes and suspension along with adding HP.
Do you have to upgrade brakes NO!
But if you want a safe well balanced car then absolutely YES!
Old 3/28/17, 10:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

To say there is no need to add upgraded stopping power when adding HP is very bad advice.

Do you have to upgrade brakes NO!
But if you want a safe well balanced car then absolutely YES!
Never said that. I said one is not directly related to the other. You should upgrade the brakes to upgrade the brakes. I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying. I realize that you can get to 120 mph much quicker with a bunch of power than not, but at 120, if you can reach impending lockup or get the abs to engage, you are not going to stop any faster than than your tires/suspension will allow no matter what kind of brakes you have. Yes it might take more pedal pressure but if you can get to that point it doesn't matter. But I never said not to upgrade the brakes. If you can reach and maintain that point of impending lock up there is no need for upgrading is what I said. I also said get pads, rotors and good fluid. I don't know much about the stock brakes as I swapped those out the first day I had my car. I don't really know how good or bad they are.

What bothered me about your statement was the adding power, you need to upgrade brakes. And though true in some cases it is a blanket statement that many times is not true. It is not that it was necessarily needed because of the added power but it was needed to begin with. I equate that to the statement people make about gears; 4.10's N/A and 3.73's if boosted. That is one of those things people say that bug the crap out of me.

But I think we are preaching the same thing to the OP just for different reasons. And I think we can agree that we can disagree on those reasons. That is what makes forums useful. Different opinions presented civilly so people can make educated decisions. I've seen many a debate get into name calling and stupid **** that serves no purpose. It is refreshing to have a discussion of opposing views without reaching that point, thanks.
Old 3/28/17, 12:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
BRAKES!
What he said.