2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

2015 Mustang Driver vents blowing warm air all the rest cold air

Search this Thread

Old 2/22/17, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Mustang Driver vents blowing warm air all the rest cold air

I have a 2015 Ford Mustang Eco boost and today being in Texas had to run the AC, I noticed all vents are blowing very cold air except the left middle vent closest to the driver and the vent by the drivers door. It's barely cool almost even warm. This started today. Has anyone else had this issue? I checked to make sure that my dual temperature settings were the same on both sides and it is. Tried putting it on Max air to see if I could see a difference and it blows out the same just a temp difference.
Old 2/22/17, 12:37 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I can think of two possibilities:

1) Blend door not working (motor bad or stripped gear).
2) Low refrigerant. (someone here had similar symptoms and it was low, even though it seems like none would be cold in this situation)

Is the car still under warranty? If it is, I'd try the dealer first.
The following users liked this post:
ej1987x (2/22/17)
Old 2/22/17, 12:43 PM

Is a blend door known to go out within a year and a half of owning a new car? Just asking because I'm like shocked I'm having any issues this early on. I will call the dealership and have it checked out. I still have some warranty but I can't remember if it's still bumper to bumper, have to look when I get home. Thank You
Old 2/22/17, 12:45 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
It is probably not common, but unfortunately stuff does happen sometimes. Hopefully it is under warranty and the dealer is prompt in their repair efforts.
Old 2/22/17, 01:19 PM

Good news we are under warranty and since they already owe me a car detailing and oil change they are gonna do it all next week while we are on vacation.
Old 2/23/17, 06:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by ej1987x
Is a blend door known to go out within a year and a half of owning a new car?
There is NO part that is immune to failure in the first 18 months or even the first 18 minutes. Warranties are to protect the ones unlucky to have an early failure. It's no fun, but whatayagonnedo?
Old 2/27/17, 08:50 AM

I guess I have been lucky in the past. Just glad they have agreed to take care of it. Gravydog316 I will let everyone know for sure what it was after we got back from vacation and pick up the car.
Old 3/14/17, 08:57 AM

Well turns out the evaporator core was leaking. They replaced it and everything is now working as expected. Had it not been covered by warranty it would have been right under $800.
Old 6/26/18, 03:33 AM

Bad news

You guys have probably figured this out by now, but this has been a massive problem with Mustangs from 15-17 & I'm seeing people with the 18 model have it happen too. Some dealers will say it's the actuator door but then it ends up doing the same thing not long after. Same thing occurs when they just do a pressure test & recharge the system. Same thing happens, though a little later, when they replace the evap in some even... the next thing they have to do is replace the actual compressor. There are some instances I've read of where the dealer outright went ahead & replaced the whole system from the jump (probably cause its such a known pain in their behind). Ford has to be losing money on this cumulatively. You'd think they'd bite the bullet & issue a recall but they haven't yet & some people have ended up taking theirs in two times for this same issue having to get a whole evap replaced in the same calander year!!!! I'm about to have to take mine in tomorrow
Old 6/26/18, 05:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick Renfroe
You guys have probably figured this out by now, but this has been a massive problem with Mustangs from 15-17 & I'm seeing people with the 18 model have it happen too. Some dealers will say it's the actuator door but then it ends up doing the same thing not long after. Same thing occurs when they just do a pressure test & recharge the system. Same thing happens, though a little later, when they replace the evap in some even... the next thing they have to do is replace the actual compressor. There are some instances I've read of where the dealer outright went ahead & replaced the whole system from the jump (probably cause its such a known pain in their behind). Ford has to be losing money on this cumulatively. You'd think they'd bite the bullet & issue a recall but they haven't yet & some people have ended up taking theirs in two times for this same issue having to get a whole evap replaced in the same calander year!!!! I'm about to have to take mine in tomorrow
That really sucks that you and other owners get hit with this.

But a recall is NOT going to happen, Yes, this is one of the most common problems with these cars but it still doesn't affect a high percent of cars. The labor to replace one is high, which almost guarantees there will never be a recall. I mean, it would be financially crazy to replace approximately 300,000 evaporators that won't fail sooner than the industry average.

Hell, since my odds of ever having this problem are so low, I wouldn't even want a dealer to preemptively gut my interior to put in a new part (that may not even be a LOT better). I'd say the odds a dealer will mess something else up in the process is greater than for the original evap to fail.

I would not be too surprised if conditions eventually result in Ford having a published or secret warranty or partial coverage on the part after the 3/36. Until and if, it might be a good idea to buy an extended warranty. That's what I'm going to do if I keep it past warranty. I almost never do, but I'm thinking about making this a keeper.