Repair & Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

5.0 with a sputter or hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 7/29/15, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0 with a sputter or hesitation

Anyone else feeling a sputter ,hesitation almost like a miss in their 2015 5.0 gt? I feel it at different times and different driving situations not setting off any codes.
Took car to Ford and the say the do not find anything wrong but when you drive the car you can feel it.
Anyone have any ideas? Car is not enjoyable to drive the way it is
Old 7/29/15, 08:15 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How bad of a hesitation are we talking? Drive by wire is notoriously laggy on stock tune. Have you owned a mustang in the 05-14 category? If so is it similar to or worse than that? My 09 was pretty laggy in stock tune. Now that thing will throw you in the seat barely touching it with an aftermarket tune. It really is night and day.
Old 7/30/15, 06:47 PM

Hi,
It's more of a sputter and it's hard to explain when it happens but you can feel it when driving. You could hold an even amount of gas and it's smooth and then you feel a sputter.
Old 8/2/15, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pats67copo
Anyone else feeling a sputter ,hesitation almost like a miss in their 2015 5.0 gt? I feel it at different times and different driving situations not setting off any codes.
Took car to Ford and the say the do not find anything wrong but when you drive the car you can feel it.
Anyone have any ideas? Car is not enjoyable to drive the way it is
Maybe try changing the gas you are using. We were experiencing this with our 2012 GT. We changed gas stations and fuel grade (nothing lower than mid). No more stuttering/missing feeling. Can't hurt, might help?
The following users liked this post:
Boss12car (9/3/23)
Old 4/3/16, 08:21 AM

I have the same problem. Did you ever fix it. Three mechanics can't find anything . No codes
Old 11/3/16, 11:22 PM

I have a 2015 Automatic GT and have always had this issue - but let me explain what I see and you tell me if it's the same.

1) It usually happens during the first 10 seconds or so that I drive off (versus after I've been on the road for a while)
2) It's a very abrupt, and extremely jerky feeling - almost like you are slamming on brake for a millisecond, and lasts for about a second and then everything is fine and doesn't happen again (never happens twice).

Is it sort of like that?
Old 8/22/17, 04:32 PM

I found this thread from a google search....

I too have the same issue (stock car). Has anyone ever found anything on this?

What is strange is that at times, my car will drive extremely smooth and correctly..and at other times, hesitates/sputters/etc. I have taken some data logs...and they show STFT corrections at high levels...not sure if anyone else has datalogged to try and find the issue.

Here is the thread I have running on SVT Forums....
https://www.svtperformance.com/forum...#post-15618766

Last edited by hatched91; 8/22/17 at 04:34 PM.
Old 8/22/17, 08:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Could it be the load of the AC compressor kicking on?
Old 8/23/17, 04:40 PM

I do not believe the AC was on during my data logging. Good suggestion though.
Old 9/17/17, 02:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Just test drove a 2016 yesterday and noticed this while leaving the dealer lot. It seemed like the EXACT same thing my '06 has, only it happens in my '06 after driving for a constant speed for a period of about an hour or more. So like cruising on the interstate. When you step on the gas, after hitting the stop sign after getting off the interstate, the car will hesitate and jump, like you were just learning how to drive a clutch again, only in an automatic. A few years ago there were talks that this was a fuel pump issue and a service recall, but not full on recall was issued.

So after experiencing this again with the 2016, my first thought was, "GD Ford! You still haven't fixed this issue in 10 years?"
Old 9/20/18, 09:49 AM

My 2017 Mustang GT is having the same hesitation issue that the original poster is having. The first time I took it into the dealership, they said it was the air flow sensor, which made sense to me. The second time, the dealership had it for several days. They had the intake manifold removed. I'm not sure what they fixed, but it was certainly more than an air flow sensor. The car worked fine for another month, and now it is back to hesitating whenever it wants (with check engine light). To me, it feels like it is more than just misfiring. It is hard to explain. It almost feels like the car is towing a load or something when it happens.

I don't know if it is the fuel pump because if I stomp on the gas I have plenty of power. Perhaps I am not getting a consistent flow rate at lower levels? It hesitates with or without air conditioning.

The fun part is that the dealership is telling me that they cannot find anything wrong with it this time. Apparently, it is working just fine for them, so I must have mental issues.

The car only has 35,000 miles on it. I'm not happy with my "performance" car. Unless it gets fixed soon, I'm done with Ford.
Halberk (7/10/19)
Old 9/22/18, 02:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by chadsiewert
My 2017 Mustang GT is having the same hesitation issue that the original poster is having. The first time I took it into the dealership, they said it was the air flow sensor, which made sense to me. The second time, the dealership had it for several days. They had the intake manifold removed. I'm not sure what they fixed, but it was certainly more than an air flow sensor. The car worked fine for another month, and now it is back to hesitating whenever it wants (with check engine light). To me, it feels like it is more than just misfiring. It is hard to explain. It almost feels like the car is towing a load or something when it happens.

I don't know if it is the fuel pump because if I stomp on the gas I have plenty of power. Perhaps I am not getting a consistent flow rate at lower levels? It hesitates with or without air conditioning.

The fun part is that the dealership is telling me that they cannot find anything wrong with it this time. Apparently, it is working just fine for them, so I must have mental issues.

The car only has 35,000 miles on it. I'm not happy with my "performance" car. Unless it gets fixed soon, I'm done with Ford.
I can imagine how frustrating that is Chad. But, to this date I haven't read any threads other than this one talking about the problem. I'm in the same mind that it could be the drive by wire system. My wife's '13 had a dead spot until the day we traded it for our '18. It would do it occasionally at lower speeds when you accelerated lightly. Aggravated the crap out of me. I never took it in, because I knew I would get the same answer "we can't fine anything." Maybe you can get the dealership to look that. Good luck.

The brides '18 runs great so far, but I have a stupid problem with my Corvette that like the Mustangs shouldn't even be happening. The early A8's in those cars shake, and shudder like me on a cold winters morn. I'm so hesitant to take it in, 'cause if I get the "we can't find anything" I may have the Cops called one me.

Last edited by wanted33; 9/22/18 at 02:33 PM.
350winder (10/27/23)
Old 3/8/19, 12:39 PM

Sputtering and hesitation. 2016 5.0

[QUOTE=pats67copo;6939271]Hi,
It's more of a sputter and it's hard to explain when it happens but you can feel it when driving. You could hold an even amount of gas and it's smooth and then you feel a sputter.[/QUOT

I feel the exact same thing with my car! I got it 3 months ago and I've noticed it since the beginning. I got my car with 12k miles on it so I'm just not sure if theres something wrong with it I have warranty I just didnt know how to explain to the dealership what it's doing until now and even then I feel like they will say the car runs fine. What should I do? Is there something wrong with my car?
Old 7/10/19, 06:49 PM

Stutter at cruising speed. Floor it and it runs fine

Originally Posted by chadsiewert

have you had any luck finding the problem. My 2015 GT is doing the same thing
Old 7/19/19, 04:45 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had something like this in both my 13 mt82, and my 18 10r80 - it's my gut feeling that the nannies aren't happy with something...

I did notice that when I went the track-cal route on my 13 (too early build for a track key) - the faster throttle mapping made a significant difference - waiting for the power pack to come out for my 18...

FYI - both 13 and 18 were v8's...