2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sync 4.4 Update.

Old 3/22/15, 10:19 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Sync 4.4 Update.

Just did this update on my car. Hopefully it cures some of the issues that have popped up recently, like not being able to find Pandora (always asks me "Cancel current route?" when I say "Pandora" )...

FJ5T-14D544-AB
Bluetooth© Connectivity Improvements:
Enhanced Bluetooth phone connection stability
Enabled track information to be displayed for Bluetooth-streamed media including metadata such as song title, artist name and album title
More robust Message Access Profile (MAP) functionality to handle SMS reception and Text2Speach output
Media Connectivity Improvements:
Improved media connectivity for USB-equipped Apple devices, as well as streamlined device initialization and authentication process
Previous USB or Bluetooth media source playback now resumed after ignition cycle
AppLink Functionality Improvements:
Better AppLink customer experience with more robust features and reliable functionality

V4.4 is a software update available for 2010-2014 model year vehicles equipped with Gen1 SYNC. Logging in at: http://owner.ford.com/ is the best way to check if this update is intended for your VIN.

This update includes the following enhancements:

Bluetooth© Connectivity Improvements:
• Enhanced Bluetooth phone connection stability
• Enabled track information to be displayed for Bluetooth-streamed media including metadata such as song title, artist name and album title
• More robust Message Access Profile (MAP) functionality to handle SMS reception and Text2Speech output

Media Connectivity Improvements:
• Improved media connectivity for USB-equipped Apple devices, as well as streamlined device initialization and authentication process
• Previous USB or Bluetooth media source playback now resumed after ignition cycle

In order to download the update, make sure you have an empty USB storage drive that can hold at least 2 GB of data and is not password protected. The USB must be formatted to FAT32. Once you’re logged in at: http://owner.ford.com/ click the tab that says SYNC & HOW-TOS, followed by CHECK FOR SOFTWARE UPDATES (under the USEFUL LINKS section). If you see an update available, click DOWNLOAD SYNC UPDATE to begin the download process.

Tip: Make sure you do not download the file directly to the USB drive. If your browser prompts you to do so, choose SAVE and save the file to your Desktop instead.

Next, insert the empty USB into the computer’s USB port. Locate the .zip file, which should be saved to your desktop.

Tip: If you didn’t save the file to your desktop, you may need to look in other locations to find this .zip file (ex. “Downloads”, “My Documents”, etc.).

Are you still with me? Great! Double click the .zip file to unzip and open it. If your computer has a third party extraction program, you may need to right click the file instead and select OPEN WITH > WINDOWS EXPLORER. Three files should display (SyncMyRide folder, autoinstall.lst, install.lst). Highlight/select all three of those items. Drag and drop them to the USB drive. Select the USB drive on your computer to make sure the correct folder and files have been added to the contents of the storage device.

Tip: When viewing the contents of the USB storage device on your computer, you must be able to see the SyncMyRide folder and the additional files. If any of these are combined or deleted, the installation will not work.

Right-click on the USB drive and choose EJECT before removing it from the computer’s USB port.

Now it's time to head out to the truck.

If you have SYNC (without navigation), here are the steps you'll need to follow:

1) Press AUX until you select SYNC Line In. Press OK.
2) Press Menu. SYNC Media may display. If it does, press OK.
3) Media Menu displays, and then Play Menu appears.
4) Press Seek until System Settings is highlighted. Press OK.
5) Press Seek until Advanced is highlighted. Press OK.
6) Prompts display. Press Seek until Install Applications is highlighted. Press OK

If you have SYNC with voice-activated navigation, check out these instructions instead:

1) Start the vehicle’s engine and insert the USB drive, ignore any messages about media playback.
2) Press the Phone button
3) Press Settings, you may have to do this twice depending on if a phone is connected or not.
4) Press Advanced
5) Press the down arrow twice and press Install
6) Listen to the in-vehicle prompts regarding the status of the installation

We're almost to the finish line!

At this point, SYNC should automatically detect the files on the USB drive and display INSTALL APPLICATION. Press OK to confirm. Keep the vehicle running while this is being installed. SYNC will say INSTALLATION COMPLETE right off the bat, but you can ignore this message. It should take about 10 minutes before another INSTALLATION COMPLETE message comes up and the system may reboot. Refrain from touching any buttons until the process is completed. When SYNC displays INSTALLATION COMPLETE (after rebooting), press the MENU button to exit installation mode. Remove the USB and report your update at: Owner.Ford.com
Old 3/22/15, 11:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Thank you for sharing this. Now we just have to hope it works properly. I'll look forward to hearing how this works for you.
Old 3/22/15, 12:04 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Thanks for the post. I just updated mine. Now my two biggest gripes are fixed....music titles displayed when streaming over Bluetooth and remembering the system status when restarting the car.

Last edited by SpectreH; 3/22/15 at 12:06 PM.
Old 3/22/15, 01:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Finally we get something. Bummed there's no AppLink included but a couple of those tweaks are nice. Thanks for posting!
Old 3/22/15, 01:32 PM
GT Member

I need to do this, but first I have to locate a USB stick. Excellent write up. Thanks.
Old 3/22/15, 02:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Just did it. Didn't notice anything new but it was working well for me before the update.
Old 3/22/15, 03:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to do this. I have been annoyed that the information from the songs doesn't display when using Bluetooth since day one.
Old 3/22/15, 03:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
When I check for updates, it says my updates are current. I have 4.1 installed. Anyone know what I'm screwing up?
Old 3/22/15, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like others have said, thanks for the info! Not sure how long I would gone without finding this out!
Old 3/22/15, 04:03 PM

ford site says I have latest Version alrdy :/ i got 2011 mustang
Old 3/22/15, 04:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Same here. On my 2010 Mustang it says I am up to date V3.1. I was able to update my wife's 2013 Ford Edge though.. and finally Bluetooth Audio Titles and it remembers the last source.... Now can I have that for my Mustang, please ?????

LEXiiON
Old 3/22/15, 04:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm .. i have version 4.2.1.4 and website says I am up to date. Do you guys who got the update have Navigation or Non-Navigation cars ?
Old 3/22/15, 04:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Updated mine! Thanks for the heads-up.i can send and receive text messages with my Samsung Galaxy s4 now.
Old 3/22/15, 04:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dmhines
Hmm .. i have version 4.2.1.4 and website says I am up to date. Do you guys who got the update have Navigation or Non-Navigation cars ?
I dont have nav and they said there was an update for me.
Old 3/22/15, 05:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I have a 2014 and the update was right for mine. I have downloaded it and will install it shortly. Sync has generally worked for me but now and then it loses its little mind. I am looking forward to the system remembering I was listening to music from a USB drive. No nav in mine.

Last edited by tukatz; 3/22/15 at 05:05 PM.
Old 3/22/15, 05:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like its currently for non-Nav cars.
Old 3/22/15, 05:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just finished the 4.4 update. I am not certain what it will do for me but its complete. :-)
Old 3/22/15, 06:31 PM
GT Member

What! Is this the mythical "3.4M customer update" that Ford promised for 2014 that would add Applink to 2011 and earlier vehicles! I just checked for my 2011 Navi and nothing yet, but if so, I can't wait!!!!!!
Old 3/22/15, 06:49 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
My '13 is a nav car and I got the update. I'll add that I updated the maps via DVD about 6-9 months ago when Ford sent me a notice (had to pay for the maps).
Old 3/22/15, 06:54 PM
GT Member

I also updated the maps last year... They were outdated quickly with this year's $50 cheaper ones :S

One theory is that the 2012-2014 have always had Gen1 V4.X, and 2010-2011 had V3.X. Since it's essentially the same hardware, would be interesting if this update finally brings the 2010-2011 to "4.X"

Bit annoyed though, my 2011 never had any updates through Syncmyride, only one that you had to beg dealers for (3.1 -> 3.1.4). 2012+'s has had so many updates over the years...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sync 4.4 Update.