Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Max HP on the 3.7 engine

Search this Thread

Old 10/22/13, 08:06 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So lately been thinking how sweet a 600 rwhp 3.7 sleeper would be. I did some research and with the help of forum members knowledge I learned a company called MMR makes forged internals for the 10-14, 3.7 engine. For just under
2, 000 dollars one can buy a fully forged crankshaft, pistons, rods, hardware included and its designed to hold 1200 rwhp.

What is the approximate maximum amount of safe rwhp can the 3.7 engine hold with forged internal engine parts such as the ones mentioned above? If one purchased a procharger supercharger and set that boost for say 20 pounds, can the engine safely handle that having those forged internals?

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 10/22/13 at 08:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
lolcamaro (10/25/17)
Old 10/22/13, 11:22 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is going to be a hard one to get answers for, as I don't know of anyone that's taken a 3.7 that far.

I'm subscribed though. Hope some positive answers come along.
Old 10/22/13, 11:31 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intresting....subscribed!!
Old 10/22/13, 11:53 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This should be good
Old 10/22/13, 11:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
On an alternate forum someone named solobusa blew his 3.7 at 650 crank hp. His goal was 1k rwhp. He mentioned the internals that you speak of. Ill post the link to that forum when I get home from work. Check out AllFordMustangs forum. That should give an idea about what you are up against. Solobusa lost his motor at 550 rwhp running a procharger and E85 gas.

I am working on a sleeper as well, but don't want to go higher than 450rwhp. That would place the crank hp at 550 which is nearing the breaking point of the stock 3.7 from what I have read. Ill simply be adding a procharger and a second custom dyno tune and all should be good.

Oh and in case you were wondering, after blowing his stock and two purpose built motors, he is going to a turbo setup rather than a supercharger.

Last edited by V6 Driver; 10/22/13 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10/22/13, 12:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Pretty interesting! 450 rwhp would be sweet.
Old 10/22/13, 01:35 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
450 rwhp!? 550 hp at the crank!? OMG, I think I just had a wet daydream

Last edited by StangDawg; 10/22/13 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10/22/13, 01:50 PM
Bullitt Member

American Muscle did a 2011 V6 build using a procharger and got 450 hp out of it. They arent very specific if that rear wheel or crank but according to the build blog the motor is stock other than bbk long tube headers.

Granted it isnt forged or 600hp, but it is a good start. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the internals of our 3.7s are forged. Maybe just the crankshaft?
Old 10/22/13, 02:45 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I really wouldn't waste your time and money on it. At the end of the day, it's still a sixer and you went about it the hard and expensive way. Just being honest with you. This type of project never ends well and usually results in a blown up motor sitting in the driveway waiting on the money to buy a new replacement motor so you can just get rid of the car. Long sentence but that's how it works out.
Old 10/22/13, 02:59 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I really wouldn't waste your time and money on it. At the end of the day, it's still a sixer and you went about it the hard and expensive way. Just being honest with you. This type of project never ends well and usually results in a blown up motor sitting in the driveway waiting on the money to buy a new replacement motor so you can just get rid of the car. Long sentence but that's how it works out.
You wouldn't. He would, he made the thread. As would I. I also have a six, never at all want anything more. I love modding this thing. Doesn't matter what liter engine it is when your putting out power and enjoy what you've got. I've got another car that has a v8 in it both are equally enjoyed
The following 3 users liked this post by Hadtohaveit'13:
Djs5191975 (7/23/19), lolcamaro (10/25/17), mdb007 (9/20/23)
Old 10/22/13, 03:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

subscribed. ive been interested in this as well.
Old 10/22/13, 03:09 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Hadtohaveit'13
You wouldn't. He would, he made the thread. As would I. I also have a six, never at all want anything more. I love modding this thing. Doesn't matter what liter engine it is when your putting out power and enjoy what you've got. I've got another car that has a v8 in it both are equally enjoyed
Agreed. I look forward to the modular 4 cylinder Mustang thread in the near future.
Old 10/22/13, 05:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
These engines have just 85 less horsepower than your supercharged V8. With simple bolt ons and a tune, we can get pretty close. With FI we can surpass that. Oh, and the driveability/comfort/options on the 3.7 equipped stangs will blow yours out of the water.

Just being honest with you.
Old 10/22/13, 06:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

whenever i take someone for a ride in my car they always ask me "is it supercharged or turboed?" i just laugh and say its a N/A 3.7L... with this being my first vehicle that has less than 8 cylinders the difference in sound takes some getting use to which is the reason i havent done anything with my exhaust yet although i plan to pretty soon to get into the 300rwhp range. whenever i get a new vehicle in a few years this will b my play toy and i plan to see just how much power i can make this thing have and see just how fast i can make it go with forced induction and built internals. i hope to get into the low 12's while its still my daily though.
Old 10/22/13, 08:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by V6 Driver
On an alternate forum someone named solobusa blew his 3.7 at 650 crank hp. His goal was 1k rwhp. He mentioned the internals that you speak of. Ill post the link to that forum when I get home from work. Check out AllFordMustangs forum. That should give an idea about what you are up against. Solobusa lost his motor at 550 rwhp running a procharger and E85 gas.

I am working on a sleeper as well, but don't want to go higher than 450rwhp. That would place the crank hp at 550 which is nearing the breaking point of the stock 3.7 from what I have read. Ill simply be adding a procharger and a second custom dyno tune and all should be good.

Oh and in case you were wondering, after blowing his stock and two purpose built motors, he is going to a turbo setup rather than a supercharger.
So this Solobusa character had a forged crankshaft, forged pistons, forged rods and the engine blew up at 550 rwhp. I know you don't know the answer to this but I wonder if the tune he was running was too lean and that's what caused the engine to blow. Or perhaps 550 is too much rwhp for the 3.7 engine to have regardless of all the forged internals.

Its my understanding that the safe level of the factory 3.7 can handle around 425 rwhp and that's on 8 pounds boost from procharger supercharger. So of course it got me thinking , that if the 3.7 can handle 425 rwhp with factory parts how much rwhp can it safely handle by replacing the rods, pistons and crankshaft with forged parts.

Someone mentioned about they heard our 3.7 comes with a forged crankshaft. I have no idea but guessing if that were true it still wouldn't be as strong as the forged crankshaft by MMR that can hold as much as 1200 rwhp. I'm sure Ford would use the cheapest and lowest grade forged crankshaft because they are not building the 3.7 from factory to carry 500 rwhp. Lol.

The other really unanswered question we don't know is how long will the 3.7 engine last with a supercharger and 425 rwhp. Sure we know the engine won't blow up now but the 3.7 is a new engine and only out since 2011. Will the 3.7 mustang with the supercharger, 8 pounds of boost, 425 rwhp still be running great in 10 years and 120,000 miles later. Maybe it will be great but the engine is so new its hard to determine what long term effects the added power on the engine may have to its life's longevity.

Its not like the 4.6 Gt engine that had been around for years and you knew what rwhp was safe for long term. Same applies with the 5.0 and coyote engine because that engine was new for 11.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 10/22/13 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10/22/13, 09:44 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by RubyRedMCA_Beast
These engines have just 85 less horsepower than your supercharged V8. With simple bolt ons and a tune, we can get pretty close. With FI we can surpass that. Oh, and the driveability/comfort/options on the 3.7 equipped stangs will blow yours out of the water. Just being honest with you.
Don't go and get all defensive. I'm pushing over 600hp and it ain't enough for me. This is about building a fast car if I'm reading it right. If this thread is about just making a powerful V6 just to do it, hell more power to you. My opinion is unless you're building a Supra or GTR, just get a V8. I've been beat by a supra and a RX7. No big deal. There's always somebody faster. But the fastest sixer mustangs usually come with a team of builders, piles of money, and probably an engineer or two. The 3.7 wasn't designed or is really capable of sustaining the kind of power you guys are talking about. It's an easy $15k+ build to get it to perform. $2k crank kit ain't gonna cut it. Not trying to **** on the dream. Just being honest.
The following users liked this post:
mdb007 (9/20/23)
Old 10/22/13, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
So this Solobusa character had a forged crankshaft, forged pistons, forged rods and the engine blew up at 550 rwhp. I know you don't know the answer to this but I wonder if the tune he was running was too lean and that's what caused the engine to blow. Or perhaps 550 is too much rwhp for the 3.7 engine to have regardless of all the forged internals.

Its my understanding that the safe level of the factory 3.7 can handle around 425 rwhp and that's on 8 pounds boost from procharger supercharger. So of course it got me thinking , that if the 3.7 can handle 425 rwhp with factory parts how much rwhp can it safely handle by replacing the rods, pistons and crankshaft with forged parts.

Someone mentioned about they heard our 3.7 comes with a forged crankshaft. I have no idea but guessing if that were true it still wouldn't be as strong as the forged crankshaft by MMR that can hold as much as 1200 rwhp. I'm sure Ford would use the cheapest and lowest grade forged crankshaft because they are not building the 3.7 from factory to carry 500 rwhp. Lol.

The other really unanswered question we don't know is how long will the 3.7 engine last with a supercharger and 425 rwhp. Sure we know the engine won't blow up now but the 3.7 is a new engine and only out since 2011. Will the 3.7 mustang with the supercharger, 8 pounds of boost, 425 rwhp still be running great in 10 years and 120,000 miles later. Maybe it will be great but the engine is so new its hard to determine what long term effects the added power on the engine may have to its life's longevity.

Its not like the 4.6 Gt engine that had been around for years and you knew what rwhp was safe for long term. Same applies with the 5.0 and coyote engine because that engine was new for 11.
Solobusa blew a piston ring around 600hp on STOCK internals. after that he bought a new engine and ordered the full forged rotating assembly from MMR. I tracked down the thread a few weeks ago and read through it. i couldnt find anything on what he did after it blew last year

Last edited by dreday23; 10/22/13 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10/23/13, 04:42 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by dreday23

Solobusa blew a piston ring around 600hp on STOCK internals. after that he bought a new engine and ordered the full forged rotating assembly from MMR. I tracked down the thread a few weeks ago and read through it. i couldnt find anything on what he did after it blew last year
Wow, that's an expensive lesson to learn the factory internals can't handle 600 HP. Lmao. I would hope with a forged crankshaft, forged pistons and forged rods the engine could easily handle 600 rwhp but wondering how safe it would be. Meaning, how will the longevity of that engine hold up with that type of power with forged internals.
Old 10/23/13, 05:56 AM
Bullitt Member

I read the same thread. He lost a connecting pin on a piston arm as well. And I was never able to determine if that was 600 at the crank or the wheels. Regardless of where the hp is 600 proves a stock motor can handle 450 at the wheels which is my goal simply for safety and longevity. Good luck to the OP if he wants to push it further.

Last edited by V6 Driver; 10/23/13 at 06:01 AM.
Old 10/23/13, 06:34 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by V6 Driver
I read the same thread. He lost a connecting pin on a piston arm as well. And I was never able to determine if that was 600 at the crank or the wheels. Regardless of where the hp is 600 proves a stock motor can handle 450 at the wheels which is my goal simply for safety and longevity. Good luck to the OP if he wants to push it further.
Even at 450 rwhp would it be a safe investment to buy the forged internals to help with the longevity of the engine. I don't want to push it to the point where the engine breaks out at 60k miles. My goal is to keep the car for a good 150,000 miles and wonder if that's a realistic goal when supercharging. Especially when turning up boost but even at 450 rwhp.

Quick Reply: Max HP on the 3.7 engine