Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2013 V6 Automatic Issues (RPM Hang/Slow Shift) Issues

Search this Thread

Old 4/9/13, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 V6 Automatic Issues (RPM Hang/Slow Shift) Issues

Hey Guys, I'm brand new here but not old to the car business. I bought a 2013 Roush RS V6/Auto on Saturday and right from the get go, the auto trans is probably the most laziest transmission I have ever experienced; very disconcerting at best for a performance car considering almost everything I've owned has been an auto; never had the issues before.

I took it off the lot with 138 miles and today broke 550 miles. There are two problems that I have experience 1) Slow laggard shifting in low-med RPMS 2) RPM hang when going WOT between 3500-5200 RPMs. I took the car into the service department, took the service rep for a ride, and re-created the problem. THe servie manager told me that the autos have a learning program that adapts to your driving and may take awhile to improve shifting performance. My response to this was, "That's fine and I understand that the improvements in shifting may take some time, but when one shift is completed, the trans should allow me to fully take advantage of the RPM power band and not hold the RPMS or lag in the power band range when moving to the next upshift?" It's almost if the trans is holding back not allowing me to reap the benefits of the power coming from the motor.

I have searched endlessly on many forums concerning this issue and frankly, I was so upset today that I called the dealer and basically ripped him with my discontent of the trans operations. He was cordial and is looking into the situation. All I know is, I dropped $36K on car that is not returning my investment. What do you guys think? Do I possibly have a bad trans, shift clutches, or what? To remedy the poor trans performance, I got on the phone with Steeda and ordered the Power Package which includes the CAI and TCS Tuner. The guy over there informed me that the tuner has a tune program for the trans and stated that it corrects lag issues with shifting and improves performance in all driving conditions. Then I read on another forum that the PCM will override the TCS trans tune if my driving habits change. WTF? Is there anyone here that can enlighten me....Please....

Sorry for the venting, but I'm so discouraged at the moment. Any suggestions, tips, or advise, I'm greatfully all ears
Old 4/9/13, 09:18 PM
GT Member

I have a 2011 and the transmission is either bat out of hell, or turtle.
Old 4/9/13, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by det97
I have a 2011 and the transmission is either bat out of hell, or turtle.
Yeah, I have similar issues, lazy shifting when I'm lazy and then pretty good shift response when going bat out of hell, but the lag or hang in the mid-to-upper RPMS when proceeding to the next gear is very worrisome. It's as if the trans is slipping but without a rise in the RPMS as with a manual. It's almost as if the trans goes into limp mode. It's driving me crazy...
Old 4/10/13, 09:32 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
The autos are programmed to be lazy...Helps fuel economy. That's how it's been, and I'm sure that's how it will stay. If you want more responsiveness, then you'll need a tune. Steeda was a good choice. You'll see a huge difference...
Old 4/10/13, 01:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
RM, the dealer was correct. The trannys do take some time to learn your habits. The Wifey's GT, and my last two F-150's were the same. Lazy, and felt like they were slipping between gears. At approx. 2000 mile the Wifey's GT started to shift properly, and the 2013 F-150 has just begun to shift like it should with 2500 miles. I know it's frustrating, but give it some more time.

If you need, you could have the dealer check the fluid level to make sure it's full.
Old 4/10/13, 03:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mine shifts fine with 2300 miles
Old 4/10/13, 04:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by RM13
Hey Guys, I'm brand new here but not old to the car business. I bought a 2013 Roush RS V6/Auto on Saturday and right from the get go, the auto trans is probably the most laziest transmission I have ever experienced; very disconcerting at best for a performance car considering almost everything I've owned has been an auto; never had the issues before.

I took it off the lot with 138 miles and today broke 550 miles. There are two problems that I have experience 1) Slow laggard shifting in low-med RPMS 2) RPM hang when going WOT between 3500-5200 RPMs. I took the car into the service department, took the service rep for a ride, and re-created the problem. THe servie manager told me that the autos have a learning program that adapts to your driving and may take awhile to improve shifting performance. My response to this was, "That's fine and I understand that the improvements in shifting may take some time, but when one shift is completed, the trans should allow me to fully take advantage of the RPM power band and not hold the RPMS or lag in the power band range when moving to the next upshift?" It's almost if the trans is holding back not allowing me to reap the benefits of the power coming from the motor.

I have searched endlessly on many forums concerning this issue and frankly, I was so upset today that I called the dealer and basically ripped him with my discontent of the trans operations. He was cordial and is looking into the situation. All I know is, I dropped $36K on car that is not returning my investment. What do you guys think? Do I possibly have a bad trans, shift clutches, or what? To remedy the poor trans performance, I got on the phone with Steeda and ordered the Power Package which includes the CAI and TCS Tuner. The guy over there informed me that the tuner has a tune program for the trans and stated that it corrects lag issues with shifting and improves performance in all driving conditions. Then I read on another forum that the PCM will override the TCS trans tune if my driving habits change. WTF? Is there anyone here that can enlighten me....Please....

Sorry for the venting, but I'm so discouraged at the moment. Any suggestions, tips, or advise, I'm greatfully all ears
A long standing complaint about how Ford tunes their automatic's. I've about killed myself in my old Taurus several times attempting to merge into traffic and the d__m thing will not downshift. It just chugs and pulls as hard as it can for a few seconds before it finally realizes I'm not lifting and then decides to downshift. Brought it to the dealer with the same complaint you did...along with a soiled pair of underwear as proof. Diagnosis: “nothing wrong. Programmed that way for fuel economy.” I have 174,000 miles on it and it's still doing the same irritating thing. I accepted it in a family sedan, I won’t accept it in my 2013 GT auto which does the same thing yours does. I believe a Steeda tune will make your world right... And I've also read that parts of the adaptive learning mode can be modified or shut off to keep your shift points tight and on demand.

John
Old 4/17/13, 10:14 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RM13
Hi RM13,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. I’d like to review this for you. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
The following users liked this post:
McCormick (8/17/19)
Old 4/17/13, 07:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't know guys, I think the problem RM13 is describing isn't right.

I had a 2012 that had a shift delay/thump issue between 1-2, and yes the transmission was lazy to respond with a full downshift when you floored it, but the shifting and engine rpm's have otherwise done as expected and performed normal shifting. Now I have a 2014, and when in 'D' (normal full auto shifting), it drives and behaves just like the 2012 did.

RM13, take it in and insist they take a deeper look, it should not be hanging as your describing.

Last edited by kn7671; 4/17/13 at 07:16 PM.
Old 4/17/13, 08:44 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I have an 11 V6 auto. The only time it gets lazy is when it's low on gas. I've been driving it like I stole it since day one and it has never disappointed. I also drove a 2012 v6 rental and it was even more of a demon then mine! I wonder if it has to do with how hard you beat them in the beginning?
Old 4/17/13, 09:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I had the opportunity last evening to be the first car in line at an odd freeway interchange. There is a traffic signal that allows vehicles exiting southbound I5 and turning east onto state route 512 to do so. Vehicles just getting onto eastbound 512 are held at the light. Since you are on a freeway, when the light turns green it is like being on a drag strip. I had my 2014 V6 automatic in D and when the light turned green I floored it. Can't say as I noticed any delays in shifts, but then when you are grinning you don't notice some things.
Old 4/18/13, 12:26 PM
GT Member

I hate following slow cars in the stang just because they tend to shift better than I can. When I am first tho it drives fine. Too bad I don't have the fancy modes on the newer ones. My 11 is great car, but the transmission puzzles me a lot.
Old 4/18/13, 12:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

And the sad thing is that Ford might be able to improve Mustang sales a little if the Auto simply shifted better for anything other than all out drag racing or Sunday driving. Don't get me wrong, it does the job and shifts fine during normal commuting, but try to toss in a little attitude and call up some sport shifting, and that beach just stares at your like you're silly.
Old 4/18/13, 03:57 PM

I'm still confused. I step on mine and it goes!
Old 4/18/13, 05:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
I'm still confused. I step on mine and it goes!
So if your going 65mph, and are in a nearing coasting state, just enough throttle to maintain your speed, and then decide to move around some traffic and change lanes with authority and floor it, that your transmission immediately responds with a proper downshift and accelerates, each and every time???
Old 4/18/13, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by kn7671

So if your going 65mph, and are in a nearing coasting state, just enough throttle to maintain your speed, and then decide to move around some traffic and change lanes with authority and floor it, that your transmission immediately responds with a proper downshift and accelerates, each and every time???
Does it ever! That is when it really starts to hit hard. However, it poops out at 100-102mph.

I thought you guys were referring to stepping on it at a stop or a slow roll. In that case, The transmission kicks so fast that I got paranoid that I could be ruining the gears and stopped pounding on her. I could literally feel the car buck through the gears while other automatics I had would gradually gain speed.

I use good quality gas and always use the STP gas treatment with every fill up. ??

As I mentioned, the car only gets mushy when I'm low on gas or use cheap quality gas.

Something is not right with the OPs car. I would take it in.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 4/18/13 at 06:25 PM.
Old 4/18/13, 07:18 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Really easy fix . Get a performance tuner and your transmission shift issues will be gone. Sct bama from American Muscle. My 11 shifts perfect every time and no throttle delay. Pulls like a mini beast.
Old 6/7/13, 09:19 AM
GT Member

I had my '12 5.0 Premium dyno-tuned and now whenever I floor it in D...the engine revs to 5000 or so and absolutely no "go" for about 3-4 seconds. The car seems to actually die, and the revs slowly return to about 1500rpm before I get any gear/acceleration. This does NOT happen in 2nd or 3rd. IS THIS A "TUNE" PROBEM???
Old 6/8/13, 07:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My 2013 GT does not have the problem the op describes at all. When coasting at 65 mph and then flooring it, it just goes. Illegal speeds are so easy in this car.
When in S instead of D it does do it with even more authority. Automatic gearbox is no punishment to drive at all.
And at the stoplight, if I want I can usually out perform most of the cars.
Old 6/12/13, 08:39 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i have '13 gt auto, had been driving it ever since in sport mode with manual shifting....earlier it was annoying to use the finger **** for shifting but now i am so used to it and enjoying it. also i do get same mpg as in D mode or sometime even better. (according to my instrument panel). do any of you use this.

Quick Reply: 2013 V6 Automatic Issues (RPM Hang/Slow Shift) Issues