05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Installing a Factory NAV on a 2005 'Stang

Search this Thread

Old 4/18/07, 10:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Post Installing a Factory NAV on a 2005 'Stang

The factory NAV unit was ordered from KC (Kevin Casey, Clevenger Ford) and replaces a stock Shaker 1000 head unit in a 2005 Mustang GT Convertible. Note that he has to program the unit to work with the Shaker 1000, and needs to know the type of car (coupe or vert).

It's easy to install - the entire process took about 1.5 hours, and only requires the following tools:

7mm nutdriver
Phillips screwdriver
Panel puller (flat blade screwdriver can be used if you are careful).

Let's get started shall we?
Step one: Take all of your CDs out of your existing unit by pressing and holding the eject button on the radio. All of your CDs will be spit out, one after the other. Shut down the car and pull the key out of the ignition. There's no need to disconnect the battery or pull fuses.

Step 2: Lift your center console lid and remove the two screws with your phillips screwdriver.

Step 3: Use your panel puller to remove the shifter boot by gently prying up along the edges. No need to remove shifter ****, just place the boot out of the way temporarily for the rest of the install.

Step 4: Now remove the top portion of the center console by gently pulling up along the sides and rear. The spring clips holding it down should release, allowing you to move it freely. Pull your ebrake handle as high as it will go, and shift the console top forward to free it of the ebrake handle. Taco Bill protected his console by wrapping the firewall end with cloth, that strikes me as a good idea. However, if you are careful you don't need to do this.

Step 5: Once the console top is gone, reach out and grab the side of the center stack and pull forward. It will snap out. Repeat this to the other side of the center stack.

Step 6: Remove all six 7mm bolts holding in the trim piece surrounding the radio. The info center buttons and climate control are integrated into this trim piece. Look for little retaining clips for each of the 6 plugs. The defroster / AC one (yellow plug with gray latch) is a PITA but if you pull the gray latch toward you it pops right off. Once you have all 6 plugs off your trim piece remove it and set it aside.

Step 7: Now remove the four 7mm bolts holding in your radio. It will be without support and fall forward. This is ok, that makes it easier to access the plugs behind the radio, none of which have much clearance to allow the radio to move forward. There is room enough to remove the three electrical plugs and the antenna lead. Do this and remove the radio from the car.

Pretty hah? Next post: Installing the NAV unit.
Old 4/18/07, 11:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Here are the two units side by side...

Here is a shot of the rear of each unit, Shaker 1000 and NAV comparison. Here is where the install ran in to its first snag: The 2005 Mustang uses a "Motorola" plug for the radio antenna connection. Apparently the 2007 Mustang doesn't - it's a funky BNC - type connector that I have never seen before. Radio Shack doesn't have an adapter either. I'll have to find something and update this thread later, but for the moment the installation continues! Without the radio antenna I won't have any FM stations for the time being.

Step 8: To continue the install, the Satellite antenna must be installed prior to continuing. I have been told that the factory location for the Satellite antenna is on top of the instrument cluster, but I found a much easier solution: mounting it between the center stack air vents using 3M tape. It fits perfectly and doesn't rattle.

Step 9: Affix the Satellite antenna to the plastic part between the center stack vents using the 3m tape.

Step 10: Place NAV system in opening and connect both antennas and three power plugs. Secure the NAV system in place with the four 7mm bolts. Power up the system to test. We have a heartbeat!

Step 11: After testing unit, proceed with reassembling parts in the reverse order that you removed them in the previous steps.

Here is the finished project! Looks good hah?

Next post: My thoughts, opinions, and problems.
Old 4/18/07, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What S The Box Under The Radio For
Old 4/18/07, 11:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

My thoughts:

1) This unit DOES run the Shaker 1000 amp system and the subwoofer. Unfortunately, in my opinion there isn't as much bass as there used to be when I was running my Shaker 1000. I maxed out the NAV bass controls and searched around the menu system labeled "Shaker" or anything to no avail. In the quality of sound department I would say it's about comparable to the Shaker 1000 with the bass set to about half way.

2) The antenna plug has changed from the 2005 "Motorola" system to a weirdo BNC-type connector that I haven't seen before. I'll be searching for an adapter and post an update when I find one.

3) I have a weird error message that cropped up when the NAV button is pushed. Here it is:

This error message comes up every time the NAV is accessed but not the audio controls. Not sure what it means but I will find out!

4) That's it for now - all in all I rate this upgrade a "2" in difficulty to do, a "10" in cost, and so far about a "6" in satisfaction with this mod. As I learn more about the system this might change, if so I will post.

My props to Taco Bill for inspiring me to do one of these "how to" type posts. Of course, he is in fact the Master!
Old 4/19/07, 12:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Ok, being the new guy to this Nav thing, just what does this unit do? DVD? CD? Nav, is their a fee for using this option? Can you put one of these in place of a Shaker 500?
Soory to ask dumb questions, but never looked in to getting this on my 07.

Kevin
Old 4/19/07, 08:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the excellent write up and review. I think I'm going to hold off based on your findings about the bass being about 1/2. Looks like I'll live with what I have for now since I don't want to go with the aftermarket look right now.
Old 4/19/07, 09:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get the same error on mine. I believe it is because the System has no detailed information about the area you are in. Do you have a delay in the nav system picking up the GPS? In the mornings mine can take up to five minutes before it links to the Sats.
Old 4/19/07, 10:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by bee bop
I get the same error on mine. I believe it is because the System has no detailed information about the area you are in. Do you have a delay in the nav system picking up the GPS? In the mornings mine can take up to five minutes before it links to the Sats.
Funny you should mention that. My area is pretty new and doesn't show up on the NAV DVD maps. I wonder if that is the problem?

I saw your timing issue in another thread, so I deliberately timed how long it took for the "no GPS" icon to disappear and the map to activate - it was roughly 1 1/2 minutes.

G/F has a Honda NAV and she confirms this is about right for signal acquisition, unless it is raining (then it takes longer).

How did you overcome the antenna plug issue?
Old 4/19/07, 10:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Cobrakev
Ok, being the new guy to this Nav thing, just what does this unit do? DVD? CD? Nav, is their a fee for using this option? Can you put one of these in place of a Shaker 500?
Soory to ask dumb questions, but never looked in to getting this on my 07.

Kevin
Hi Kevin!

Not a dumb question at all... NAV is short for navigation system. Essentially you have an LCD screen with a built in "Thomas Guide" integrated into your car stereo that uses GPS (Global Positioning System) satellites to determine your location on the map.

The NAV also is a 6 CD changer and AM/FM/Sirius receiver as well.

While it uses a DVD for the maps it cannot play movies.

There is no subscription for the NAV system (other than having to buy updated DVDs every couple of years at roughly $200 a whack), but if you want Sirius radio you will have to pony up. (I don't care.)

Let me know if any other questions.

A.
Old 4/19/07, 11:02 AM
Bullitt Member

The satellite antenna works when it's inside the dash?
I thought they needed a clear view to the sky?

hags1
Old 4/19/07, 11:17 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I would've thought the antenna would have to be horizontal to work best, not verticle. Any idea how it sits in the stock location? If that location works though, that's a great idea.
Old 4/19/07, 11:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hags1: Works fine inside the dash. You lose satellite signal when inside a garage or passing beneath an overpass though.

jayguy: From what I have been told the stock location for the NAV antenna is above the instrument cluster in a horizontal position. However, it works just fine in the vertical position between the center stack vents! Signal was acquired just fine in about a minute or so and the GPS tracking worked perfectly when I tested it last night and on my way to work today.
Old 4/19/07, 11:38 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool, I might just mount it there also, if I get one.

Thanks.
Old 4/19/07, 12:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Looks great, Art! I'll give this 'How-To' a !!!

Just from my observations..

Can the NAV receiver be centered better within the center dash opening? Or is it pretty much non-adjustable?

Could that error message be because there's no antenna jack plugged into the back?

Can the volume **** be pulled off like the ones on the Shaker so you can put a MGW one on?
Old 4/19/07, 12:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Is this the connector you need for the antenna?

http://www.supercircuits.com/index.a...OD&ProdID=3651

hags1
Old 4/19/07, 12:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I think I found it.
Old 4/19/07, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
I think I found it.
Definitely looks like it.

This is encouraging.

Just wish the cost was more palatable to my wife.
Old 4/19/07, 01:16 PM
Cobra Member

How much was the NAV unit itself? This looks like a good option to add NAV but keep the OEM look.

Thanks,
-danny
Old 4/19/07, 02:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

mrkabc Mine came with the adapter. You might want to check in your box. It might have worked its way down between the foam. The one that Taco Bill found looks just like the one that came with mine. I am thinking about taking it to the dealer and having them check it out about the error. As far as the GPS signal goes it seems to have the issue when it has been sitting for extended periods of time, particularly over night and the temp is below 55. The plate on your receiver is different from mine. Mine is like a clip that clips to a bracket. You can kind of see the adaper and my receiver in the pic I took when I received mine. http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...t=61230&page=5

I just made an appointment to have the dealer check it out about the error. They said it just may need reprogramming or something. They said it sound be convered under the factory warranty since it is a factory radio.
Old 4/19/07, 03:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Looks great, Art! I'll give this 'How-To' a !!!

Just from my observations..

Can the NAV receiver be centered better within the center dash opening? Or is it pretty much non-adjustable?

Could that error message be because there's no antenna jack plugged into the back?

Can the volume **** be pulled off like the ones on the Shaker so you can put a MGW one on?
Bill:

The NAV is secured by four 7mm bolts and two plastic "pins" into the center stack. Any adjustment would be minimal at best.

Error message: Don't know yet, I have a call in to KC to ask.

Volume ****? Good question, I don't know. I'll try it when I get off work and let you know.

Thanks for the kind words about my writeup!

Bee bop: I'll double check the box! If it isn't there maybe KC can help me. Wish I knew that before... (groan) Keep us posted about the error! I'm afraid to take my car to the dealer, they might flag me for the mods I have on the car...

PegasusphotoTX: KC doesn't like us to post his prices here, I'll PM you with the price I paid.

Quick Reply: Installing a Factory NAV on a 2005 'Stang