2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to disable, turn off Daytime Running Lights (DRL)

Search this Thread

Old 11/15/06, 07:15 PM
t9r
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to disable, turn off Daytime Running Lights (DRL)

My wife took her 2006 Mustang GT with 24,000mi on it to the dealer for electrical issues and they replaced the Smart Junction Box (SJB). They said corrosion had built up on all the terminals on the back of it.

The car now has DRL. How do we disable/turn off the daytime running lights?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11/15/06, 08:17 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't know. Does anyone with an '07 have DRL's???

Either way, I hate DRL's and would be taking it back and demanding they find a workaround. Their parts guy would be calling and finding if there's maybe another car with a compatible SJB (WTF-ever that is) from another Ford vehicle that doesn't have the DRL's, or finding one pulling one off of a used 05 Mustang GT to put in my car. Good luck on finding a solution.
Old 11/15/06, 10:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Wow, haven't seen this subject in a long time. There are some threads about the SJB and DRLs floating around. It was actually talked about in depth. Try doing some searches, you'll probably be able to find them.
Old 11/16/06, 10:12 AM
t9r
V6 Member

I searched and all I found was dead links

I searched before posting my question. The links were dead w/in the posts that were where it was talked about (just my luck).

Yes, we are thinking of asking the dealer about this issue unless I can find a relatively quick and sound answer on here.

Thanks, Thad

Oh yeah, here is the link that was refered but doesn't work:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....dpost&p=523622
Old 11/16/06, 11:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Bummer, the links must've gone away after the crash. But anyway, I think most of the discussion was surrounding around activating DRLs. Kind of the opposite of what you're looking to do.
Old 11/16/06, 11:52 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
being from canada where its been illegal not to have DRLs since 96...
... i still don't get why people complain.
Old 11/16/06, 12:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the car was equipped with them to begin with, no big deal. But since it wasn't, and does not have the DRL lamps installed, it just turns on the headlights all the time. I don't want my regular headlights on all the time.
Old 11/16/06, 12:35 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
being from canada where its been illegal not to have DRLs since 96...
... i still don't get why people complain.
It's kinda like a front license plate. They bother some people, not others.
Old 11/16/06, 12:42 PM
GT Member

I am also a Canadian and am used to the DRLs. Admittedly, the DRLs are less bright than regular headlamps; but having lived with them now for quite a while, I would prefer to have them as there have been times in marginal weather conditions where the DRLs were the difference between seeing another car and missing it in fog, driving snow, rain or other tough visual conditions. Not all drivers are smart enough to turn on their headlights in such conditions.
Old 11/16/06, 07:22 PM
V6 Member

Actually 1990...

My buddy had a '90 Stang GT and he had DRL's back then (my '89 didn't have them). Maybe it wasn't mandatory in '90, but I recall the 3rd. brake light appearing in '86 and DRL's in '90.

Whenever I'm in the states (at least twice a month) I always see plenty of US cars with them. It can't be like you'd be the only one with them-"standing out in a crowd".

Although I agree with you ditching them if the DRL's incorporate the full lamps.
Old 11/17/06, 02:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by tostang
...Whenever I'm in the states (at least twice a month) I always see plenty of US cars with them. It can't be like you'd be the only one with them-"standing out in a crowd"....
GM products have had them here in the U.S. for some time. Not sure if they were concerned with safety or just cheaped out and didn't want to create separate wiring for U.S. vs. Canadian cars.

I personally find DRLs annoying in good weather. And I understand our headlamps are $$$ and difficult to replace, so I'd rather not have them.
Old 11/17/06, 06:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

All Mustangs have drls in their computer programming. Those vehicles produced for sale in the USA do not have them activated, those bound for Canada do.The dealer (US) can get the code from Ford to activate or deactivate them. In Canada,it is illegal not to have drl's. However, using Webelectronic's module you can change from the headlights to the parking lights. To disable the headlight drl's you have to use a Us vin to enable your Canadian dealer's service department to get the code to shut them off.This can be done by searching a'US dealer's stock and "borrowing a vin.Ã have done it with no problems.
Old 11/17/06, 07:36 AM
V6 Member

karrnutt, being from Belle River, you've practically got Dearborn in your back-yard! LOL!

Thanks for the US-vin info. about DRL's.
Old 11/17/06, 01:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

tostang,your right there, but I have a very co-operative service manager at my dealer. I also have had a tour of AAI with Brad and a few others last January.
Old 4/23/07, 08:37 AM
t9r
V6 Member

Finally just this month (April 2007) we got the dealer to call FORD tech support and got them to turn off the DRLs. Dealers are not too swift on how to turn them off around here.

As one lady said they need to be reprogramed.

Also while the DRLs were activated when we locked the car with the remote transmitter it would periodically toot the horn and sometimes not. Now it doesn't have that problem. If I hit the lock once, no horn toot, hit lock twice I get a toot. They work as they should now.

Thanks for the input.
Old 4/23/07, 09:00 AM
Bullitt Member

i dropped my car off today for the same thing. after they change the sjb 2 weeks ago, now i have drl and the strange horn
Old 4/23/07, 10:34 AM
Bullitt Member

I have to say i don't know what the big deal is about disabling DRL. I mean the strain they put on your headlamps isn't all that much, and I don't know, I'd rather be safe than preserve my headlight changes another 6 months.
Old 4/23/07, 11:05 AM
Bullitt Member

With most car companies " All European and Asian manufactures...DRL are a "Feature" they brag about....and you are trying to get rid of them? I would switch out my SJB box for yours if I knew what it was. Down here in Florida we get a lot of random rain showers and fog.... Its nice when you dont have to turn on your lights just for a stupid 2minute shower!!!
Old 4/23/07, 11:07 AM
Bullitt Member

not a big deal, just not how i purchased my car. plus i dont like how it looks.
Old 4/23/07, 11:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tuco
. . . I would prefer to have them as there have been times in marginal weather conditions where the DRLs were the difference between seeing another car and missing it in fog, driving snow, rain or other tough visual conditions. Not all drivers are smart enough to turn on their headlights in such conditions.

Originally Posted by Tampa07GTCS
I would switch out my SJB box for yours if I knew what it was. Down here in Florida we get a lot of random rain showers and fog.... Its nice when you dont have to turn on your lights just for a stupid 2minute shower!!!

Quick Reply: How to disable, turn off Daytime Running Lights (DRL)