The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Repair & Service Help (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f885/)
-   -   Key fob locked inside mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f885/key-fob-locked-inside-mustang-538535/)

dguzzi 8/26/17 08:58 AM

there is an emergency key slot in the door handle. but you need the key (not the fob) although there is a key inside the fob also.

shaneyusa 8/29/17 10:16 PM

The Jeep Grand Cherokee keys work great too... except when the Wife puts her fob in the bottom of the console cup holder because she does not want it in her pocket or her very small purse. Ruins her outfit... She then found the kryptonite magic combination of putting a semi full bottle of water on top of it. You know that is what cup holders are for.

Evidently the key fob can no longer be detected because the radio waves are blocked by water. This combo allowed her to push the door handle lock button on the outside of the car and whala... she locked herself out of the vehicle.

The funnier part is that She thought she had the key fob with her and she lost the key in a fairly good sized bedding plant nursery. She spent a couple hours looking through every possible area of the nursery she had visited to try and find her fob. Digging through who knows how many plants.

When she finally gave up and called our son to have him make the hour round trip to get the other key she discovered the missing fob in the cup holder. Typically it will make all kinds of noise and refuse to lock when the fob is inside. But not this time.

After that we later tried all kinds of possibilities to see if we could lock it inside. Nothing doing... Seems like the water keeps the RF signals from getting out and being detected. Now she knows...

Likely this will affect most of these smart key fobs so be ware...:screwy:

Robert Gartside 7/6/19 12:42 PM

2016 mustang key fob

Happened 2 me last nite. Started 2 rain put car windows up with six power on for lights. Left key in car closed door and could not get in or unlock doors. I was lucky 1 door was not fully shut. Was able to get wire and fish my key fob close enough to pull it out the gap between gasket and window. What is annoying is I did not even lock the doors. I did not think doors would lock if key was inside.

Glenn 7/7/19 10:56 AM

Mine will not stay locked with the fob inside the car 2018

Roushfan17 2/24/23 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by AWmustang (Post 6943401)
I don't understand how this could happen. The car is not running, but is "on". The key is inside. You open the door (which unlocks it) and get out and close the door. How does it end up locked?

My 15 Mustang was left running, I left the key on the center console and went back inside my house. When I returned to the car it was locked. I got my spare key and the Mustang would not unlock even with the metal key inside the fob. It wasn’t until the car turned off with the automatic shut off, that I was able to unlock it with the metal key. Another Mustang mystery.

05stangkc 2/24/23 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Roushfan17 (Post 7073348)
My 15 Mustang was left running, I left the key on the center console and went back inside my house. When I returned to the car it was locked. I got my spare key and the Mustang would not unlock even with the metal key inside the fob. It wasn’t until the car turned off with the automatic shut off, that I was able to unlock it with the metal key. Another Mustang mystery.

That Would Get Me All Keyed Up! :)

Glad It Finally Let You In! :nice:

Wonder if the Decklid Would Open in That Situation?? :dunno:

AI is Mean These Days! :doh:

KC

Roushfan17 2/25/23 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc (Post 7073349)
That Would Get Me All Keyed Up! :)

Glad It Finally Let You In! :nice:

Wonder if the Decklid Would Open in That Situation?? :dunno:

AI is Mean These Days! :doh:

KC

The deck lid will not open either. Tried it. Lol

m05fastbackGT 2/25/23 03:17 PM

Most definitely a mystery for sure... Wonder if a defect is somehow a factor... Had a similar experience by getting locked out from leaving the key/keyfob inside my wife's 2020 Escape... Luckily I was in the garage and able to get the spare from the living room and able to use the spare to reopen the door... Needless to say, the spare worked with no problem :dunno: