Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only

What did you do with your Mustang today?

Search this Thread

Old 5/1/23, 03:15 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,787 Posts
That's sure quite a collection of Mustangs you had/have ranging from your 1st gen "65" coupe thru 94-95 SVT Cobra's to 2007, 2010 and 2011 S197 GT's to which I assume is now your current S550 2019 Magnetic Metallic GT350? In the meantime, thanks for sharing
The following users liked this post:
95cobraR (5/1/23)
Old 5/1/23, 04:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 151 Likes on 105 Posts
Thanks,
I have owned 18 Mustangs (some briefly),

My best big win was in 1989/1990 when I won a big race sponsored by a rock station in my red 1989 Mustang LX with a 4:11 rear gear. Ford would sell it for $500 with axles and gears already factory made. I was interviewed that night on live 93 Rock Radio.

I am the taller guy.

I won a set of BFGoodrich T/A tires. $1000 cash, and a very important sponsorship, I still have the trophy but not the girls and money.

The following 2 users liked this post by 95cobraR:
m05fastbackGT (5/1/23), Stage_3 (5/2/23)
Old 5/2/23, 10:29 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,318 Likes on 1,729 Posts
Old 5/9/23, 12:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
I replaced wheels and tires. I really liked the look of the factory wheels but wanted a square setup I could rotate and significantly more tread width. I had Michlin PS4s's on the factory wheels but the new ones are 285 width front and back on 1/2" wider rear wheels and 1&1/2" wider front wheels. Also wanted much lighter wheels.

Costco had the best Michelin price and also the best road hazard warranty. Problem is they have a strict policy of installing tires ONLY on wheels you drove in on AND if they are a factory available size. I can 100% understand the first part of that. Someone hands them a box of wheels that have the wrong bolt pattern or are made of pot metal, or wrong size hub opening, etc, etc, and everyone is unhappy and Costco wasted time.

So I had to convince the manager I knew what I was doing. And anyone who has ever spoken with me knows that's a tall order. But they eventually surrendered. I really wanted them to install them for warranty simplicity AND the sale price included installation.

So I ordered the tires and crossed my fingers the wheels would arrive before they canceled my (on sale) order for taking too long to have them installed.

Wheels arrived 2 days before the "standard" cancel order date but I suspect no problem getting that extended.

I spent Saturday night making sure the hub centric was right, no suspension/brake clearance issues and of course personal QC inspection. These Apex wheels are Mustang specific, several members of my Mustang forum claim to be running them with the same tires. Still there is probably little more humiliating than having a Costco manager say "and this is why we don't do this".

Okay, front wheels fit fine. Perfect atypical backspacing to clear the struts with no "poke". Hubcentric better than factory; almost a press fit.

Same with back but negative poke the same as factory. Nature of the beast you can't have both ends flush with body with the same wheel without a small spacer on the back. Its so close I'm not going to throw a tiny spacer since I never cared about flush anyway, just didn't want any poke.

I like the look of the factory wheels but I like the design of these better. I don't like the color as much though. Unfortunately, Apex discontinued these in silver.

Apex on left. Factory on right:

On the car:

Last edited by HoosierDaddy; 5/11/23 at 08:05 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by HoosierDaddy:
crjackson (10/26/23), Gabe (5/13/23), m05fastbackGT (5/10/23), shaneyusa (5/14/23), Stage_3 (5/9/23)
Old 5/13/23, 05:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
I replaced wheels and tires. I really liked the look of the factory wheels but wanted a square setup I could rotate and significantly more tread width. I had Michlin PS4s's on the factory wheels but the new ones are 285 width front and back on 1/2" wider rear wheels and 1&1/2" wider front wheels. Also wanted much lighter wheels.

Costco had the best Michelin price and also the best road hazard warranty. Problem is they have a strict policy of installing tires ONLY on wheels you drove in on AND if they are a factory available size. I can 100% understand the first part of that. Someone hands them a box of wheels that have the wrong bolt pattern or are made of pot metal, or wrong size hub opening, etc, etc, and everyone is unhappy and Costco wasted time.

So I had to convince the manager I knew what I was doing. And anyone who has ever spoken with me knows that's a tall order. But they eventually surrendered. I really wanted them to install them for warranty simplicity AND the sale price included installation.

So I ordered the tires and crossed my fingers the wheels would arrive before they canceled my (on sale) order for taking too long to have them installed.

Wheels arrived 2 days before the "standard" cancel order date but I suspect no problem getting that extended.

I spent Saturday night making sure the hub centric was right, no suspension/brake clearance issues and of course personal QC inspection. These Apex wheels are Mustang specific, several members of my Mustang forum claim to be running them with the same tires. Still there is probably little more humiliating than having a Costco manager say "and this is why we don't do this".

Okay, front wheels fit fine. Perfect atypical backspacing to clear the struts with no "poke". Hubcentric better than factory; almost a press fit.

Same with back but negative poke the same as factory. Nature of the beast you can't have both ends flush with body with the same wheel without a small spacer on the back. Its so close I'm not going to throw a tiny spacer since I never cared about flush anyway, just didn't want any poke.

I like the look of the factory wheels but I like the design of these better. I don't like the color as much though. Unfortunately, Apex discontinued these in silver.

Apex on left. Factory on right:

On the car:

They look great! I'd love a set for my '13
1 old racer (5/16/23)
Old 5/18/23, 02:11 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,152 Likes on 825 Posts
With our erratic weather I finally got the Mustang pulled out of the cover and the unbearably long winter sleep. It's all waxed up, polished and ready to hit the street. Also added the Shelby ISO-Clutch Reservoir to separate my clutch and brake fluids. Did this in prep for flushing my brake fluid, hopefully in the next few days.

Now if only we will get a few sunny days in a row I will get it out on the road. I am pretty sure last year I had it out before the first of March...

Last edited by shaneyusa; 5/18/23 at 02:37 AM.
Old 5/18/23, 06:24 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,318 Likes on 1,729 Posts
Originally Posted by shaneyusa
With our erratic weather I finally got the Mustang pulled out of the cover and the unbearably long winter sleep. It's all waxed up, polished and ready to hit the street. Also added the Shelby ISO-Clutch Reservoir to separate my clutch and brake fluids. Did this in prep for flushing my brake fluid, hopefully in the next few days.

Now if only we will get a few sunny days in a row I will get it out on the road. I am pretty sure last year I had it out before the first of March...
Wow and I thought I got mine out late! Congrats!
Old 5/18/23, 08:12 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,152 Likes on 825 Posts
Yes, we have had one crazy long winter out here.

It was in very mild and dry in January, with highs in the mid-50s (typically under freezing then). I was even able to get out there and doing some tree trimming.

Then middle of February the snow started coming again. One of the ski resorts reported over 300" of new snow in March alone. About what they might get for totals in a below average winter. We were still getting heavy snows in the mountains until middle of April.

We got record snow fall for this year. Thankfully that meant rains and colder temps in the valley. In fact our local ski resort is normally done by mid-April, skiing under poor wet snow conditions. Most years the snow is gone before then and they have to close. This year they were open for skiing until May 6th with powder and great spring conditions. They could have gone longer. In fact we can still see there is a white snow cap on the mountain. Usually the snow up there is visible gone by now.

This is great news for our drought situation, so I can't complain. Now we're supposed to hit 90°+ for the next two days. So much for a gradual spring warm up... I think we may have missed out on that. On to summer.

Last edited by shaneyusa; 5/18/23 at 08:48 AM.
Stage_3 (5/18/23)
Old 5/18/23, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Wow and I thought I got mine out late! Congrats!
Originally Posted by shaneyusa
Yes, we have had one crazy long winter out here.

It was in very mild and dry in January, with highs in the mid-50s (typically under freezing then). I was even able to get out there and doing some tree trimming.

Then middle of February the snow started coming again. One of the ski resorts reported over 300" of new snow in March alone. About what they might get for totals in a below average winter. We were still getting heavy snows in the mountains until middle of April.

We got record snow fall for this year. Thankfully that meant rains and colder temps in the valley. In fact our local ski resort is normally done by mid-April, skiing under poor wet snow conditions. Most years the snow is gone before then and they have to close. This year they were open for skiing until May 6th with powder and great spring conditions. They could have gone longer. In fact we can still see there is a white snow cap on the mountain. Usually the snow up there is visible gone by now.

This is great news for our drought situation, so I can't complain. Now we're supposed to hit 90°+ for the next two days. So much for a gradual spring warm up... I think we may have missed out on that. On to summer.
Think you guys are late lol. Mine is still sitting on jack stands, but finally got around to changing the oil just 2 days ago... Next step is washing off all the dust after sitting all winter, then giving a thorough waxing before taking her out to begin the new cruise season.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/6/23 at 08:35 PM. Reason: post correction
The following 2 users liked this post by m05fastbackGT:
shaneyusa (5/19/23), Stage_3 (5/18/23)
Old 5/26/23, 07:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Installed some new-to-me Borla S-Type mufflers, with the tips blacked-out cuz I hate chrome.

The following 3 users liked this post by Gabe:
HoosierDaddy (5/26/23), m05fastbackGT (5/28/23), Stage_3 (5/27/23)
Old 5/27/23, 12:31 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,240 Posts
^^Very nice man!!!!
How many miles have you got now?
Old 5/27/23, 03:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Stage_3
^^Very nice man!!!!
How many miles have you got now?
Thanks. She's up to a bit over 57,000 now
The following 3 users liked this post by Gabe:
05stangkc (5/28/23), m05fastbackGT (5/28/23), Stage_3 (5/28/23)
Old 5/28/23, 02:26 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,193 Likes on 2,340 Posts
Charging Battery for Early Monday Morning Cruise!

KC
Old 5/28/23, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Gabe
Installed some new-to-me Borla S-Type mufflers, with the tips blacked-out cuz I hate chrome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H8AsariWno
Sure, can't go wrong with Borla Gabe lol. Meanwhile, looking sweet as always and glad to finally hear from you once again old friend
Gabe (5/28/23)
Old 5/29/23, 04:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Sure, can't go wrong with Borla Gabe lol. Meanwhile, looking sweet as always and glad to finally hear from you once again old friend
Thanks Rocky, yeah I'm still around but obviously don't post or log on as much anymore ...can't wait to take the car out again but it's been raining here for the last 3 days and supposed to rain another couple more ...
The following 2 users liked this post by Gabe:
m05fastbackGT (5/30/23), Stage_3 (5/29/23)
Old 5/30/23, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Gabe
Thanks Rocky, yeah I'm still around but obviously don't post or log on as much anymore ...can't wait to take the car out again but it's been raining here for the last 3 days and supposed to rain another couple more ...
I know that feeling quite well Gabe, as I haven't posted nor been on S197 forums for over a year now.
Old 7/13/23, 09:55 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts
I was going to go for a spin, but my battery is dead. Not surprised since I've had little time behind the wheel. I have a Vector 12-Volt Automotive Portable CarBatteryCharger and when I try to charge the new battery (2 years old or less and always on a trickle charger during storage) it shuts down on my and goes to Battery Conditioner instead. I remember this happening an older battery. Something seems to be sending it to a safety shutoff I think. Anyone have an idea?

The way I hook it up is obviously red to the red positive post and then the black to the chassis as noted in the instructions.
Stage_3 (7/13/23)
Old 7/25/23, 10:37 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Well it was the Vector charger kicking for no reason. I bought a $25 car charger and it works fine. Took her out the past few days. Running great but...now to find out what is clicking in the suspension. Small bumps will create a click or light clanking noise.

Last edited by VidPro; 7/25/23 at 10:39 AM.
Old 7/25/23, 10:48 AM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,193 Likes on 2,340 Posts
Originally Posted by VidPro
Well it was the Vector charger kicking for no reason. I bought a $25 car charger and it works fine. Took her out the past few days. Running great but...now to find out what is clicking in the suspension. Small bumps will create a click or light clanking noise.
I Had a High Zoot Computerized Battery Charger That only Liked to Charge New Slightly Discharged Batteries and Would Say Replace Battery Way Too Often!

I Would Get out the Old 1980'S Charger I Had Forever and Low & Behold Many Batteries Would Come Back to Live Again!

Then a Dang Load Tester Would Say Same Thing and after a Couple of Days At a 2 Amp Charge on a {Tested Replace Battery} Some Others Would Come Back as Well!

I'm an Analog Man in a Digital World!

Mgb,

KC
Old 7/25/23, 11:08 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
I Had a High Zoot Computerized Battery Charger That only Liked to Charge New Slightly Discharged Batteries and Would Say Replace Battery Way Too Often!

I Would Get out the Old 1980'S Charger I Had Forever and Low & Behold Many Batteries Would Come Back to Live Again!

Then a Dang Load Tester Would Say Same Thing and after a Couple of Days At a 2 Amp Charge on a {Tested Replace Battery} Some Others Would Come Back as Well!

I'm an Analog Man in a Digital World!

Mgb,

KC
Yeah, my dad had an old school charger that looked like it was from the early 70’s. It just worked. The poor guy lost its battle with time though.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your Mustang today?