The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Limited Edition 50th (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f851/)
-   -   My Limited Edition body panels don't fit well. (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f851/my-limited-edition-body-panels-dont-fit-well-534661/)

BaknBlk 1/18/15 09:38 AM

A friend of mine purchased a new 15...beautiful car, race red, PP, TP...all the good stuff. We were at a car show and found a dent (from the inside out) almost right in the middle of his trunk lid. In looking at it you could tell he didn't do it as there was NO damage to the liner on the underside of the trunk lid. He took it back to Ford and they actually replaced the trunk lid. Turns out, there was a piece of debris or a flaw in the stamping die for the trunk lid and several thousand cars had the same defect. Ford just hasn't said anything publicly about it. It was a pretty "smooth" dent and could only be seen at certain angles, but once you saw it, you couldn't not see it. I'm betting the dent on your hood is the same thing.

wannabe 1/18/15 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by BaknBlk (Post 6889351)
...Turns out, there was a piece of debris or a flaw in the stamping die for the trunk lid and several thousand cars had the same defect. Ford just hasn't said anything publicly about it.

This would be an excellent opportunity for Ford to own up and issue a notification to owners and fix it because it's the right thing to do. I don't expect they will. Or maybe they have, and I (we) don't know because we don't have one of them. Exactly the kind of problem that suggests it's worth waiting for the second model year (at least).

Rather B.Blown 1/18/15 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by BaknBlk (Post 6889351)
A friend of mine purchased a new 15...beautiful car, race red, PP, TP...all the good stuff. We were at a car show and found a dent (from the inside out) almost right in the middle of his trunk lid. In looking at it you could tell he didn't do it as there was NO damage to the liner on the underside of the trunk lid. He took it back to Ford and they actually replaced the trunk lid. Turns out, there was a piece of debris or a flaw in the stamping die for the trunk lid and several thousand cars had the same defect. Ford just hasn't said anything publicly about it. It was a pretty "smooth" dent and could only be seen at certain angles, but once you saw it, you couldn't not see it. I'm betting the dent on your hood is the same thing.

My Shelby GT had a dent near the top of the quarter panel just below the quarter window like that, from the inside out. You'd really notice it in certain light and angles and after you saw it you couldn't unsee it.

FordService 1/21/15 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by BlueBellThunder (Post 6889274)
The dealer told me I have to go to the dealer I purchased the car from, who is an hour from where I live. Says the hood issue is because of a minuscule dent in the hood that they say was probably caused when they where prepping the car. They said Ford wouldn't fix it under the warranty due to it being the dealers responsibility. Looking at it myself I think it's a factory defect since there's no scratches at all where's the dent is. So I made an appointment next week with the dealer an hour from me. I hope I don't have to escalate this issue.

I want to get this escalated for you, BlueBellThunder. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number. This will help your dealer work with your customer service manager to get this resolved for you.

Deysha

BlueBellThunder 1/29/15 10:48 AM

This is for the OP, any updates?

BlueBellThunder 2/8/15 08:06 AM

I got my car back yesterday. While they didn't fix it 100% it's much better now. It's now just a very minor pet peeve that I can live with. The hood had a very small dent that was apparently not allowing the hood to sit flush with the fenders. Well now there sittng flush but it you look at it from a certain angle the dent is still there only much smaller, that's why it's a minor pet peeve. I was worried they might have to replace the hood and the paint wouldn't match perfectly so Ill live with it. Also on the rear bumper on both sides near the wheel wells they weren't sitting flush with the quarter panels. They fixed the drivers side perfectly but the other side not so much. I guess there was only so much they can do with it. Buy the way the dealer I went to doesn't have a body shop so they outsourced it. It's the dealer I bought the car from and I don't see ever going there again based on 2 things. First there an hour from where I live, and second the service advisor wasn't real pleasant. She actually asked me if the car was in an accident. WTF. And another dealer that's a little further than my regular dealer told me when I brought it in that I would have to go to the dealer that I bought it from since Ford will say they caused the issues. I knew that was bull **** but if they refuse to deal with you what can you do other then complain to Ford. And after you do that do you really want them working on your car. I just wish my regular dealer ship had Saturday hours at their body shop. The service advisor there told me they where the ones who would have to take pictures to submit to Ford. Maybe a Ford body shop would have done a better job, but I'll just leave it be for now. Thanks to Deysha for escalating my issues with the dealer so when I dropped it off they had a rental for me.

Sorry for the long rant.

wannabe 2/8/15 08:49 AM

It's been my experience that you'll get much better treatment as to service/problems from the selling dealer. Warranty issues seem to be different... but if you're a 'problem' owner and bought somewhere else, they'd really rather not deal with you. Especially when it's a known/common issue, double especially when it's 'cosmetic'. I guess I understand that to some degree, but it still speaks ill of Ford as a whole in my opinion. That said, Dodge dealers are even worse that way.

BlueBellThunder 2/8/15 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by wannabe (Post 6896524)
It's been my experience that you'll get much better treatment as to service/problems from the selling dealer. Warranty issues seem to be different... but if you're a 'problem' owner and bought somewhere else, they'd really rather not deal with you. Especially when it's a known/common issue, double especially when it's 'cosmetic'. I guess I understand that to some degree, but it still speaks ill of Ford as a whole in my opinion. That said, Dodge dealers are even worse that way.

I'm not a problem owner by any means. But when you spend $35,000 on a car and 2 months later you have issues you expect them to be fixed. The only reason I bought the car an hour from where I live is I wanted a race red auto GT premium and couldn't find one anywhere. Plus I got it for $3,000 off MSRP. I won't be going back to that dealer since they weren't very professional at all. To ask me if I was in an accident was ridiculous. I was very pleasant with them the whole time. Like I said, it's not 100% perfect but I can live with it. However they outsource their body work and when the car was returned I'm sure they didn't even look at it. And when I picked it up yesterday they just gave me the keys and my receipt and sent me on my way, very cold altitude. I also had to bring the rental back to Hertz and get a ride to the dealer. You would think someone at the dealer would return the car for you. Not that big of a deal but would have been more convenient, I didn't complain about any of this to the dealer since I'm concerned that as I previously stated I was worried that if the hood was replaced and repaint it might not match properly. Again these are pet peeves and not that big of deal but this is a brand new car. And for those saying it's not likes its a BMW, I wouldn't care if it was a $18,000 Focus. When it's new it should be perfect. If not it should be fixed. Now I know next time I buy a new car go over every inch. If you can spend an hour or more haggling price a few extra minutes to look everything over shouldn't be a big deal. In my case I did look the car, but was looking for scratches/dents. The hood dent is so small you can only see it if your really looking hard. The thing is once you see it you can't unsee it. Again they made the dent almost unnoticeable. And I can live with it.

Sorry again for the long rant.

By the way, Stang 1 did you get your issues resolved?

wannabe 2/8/15 04:00 PM

I meant 'problem' owner to be someone who refuses to let Ford off the hook... not that you were in the wrong. I'm the same way. Too many others aren't... and that's why manufacturers get away with doing half-assed job.

stang1 2/8/15 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by BlueBellThunder (Post 6896539)
I'm not a problem owner by any means. But when you spend $35,000 on a car and 2 months later you have issues you expect them to be fixed. The only reason I bought the car an hour from where I live is I wanted a race red auto GT premium and couldn't find one anywhere. Plus I got it for $3,000 off MSRP. I won't be going back to that dealer since they weren't very professional at all. To ask me if I was in an accident was ridiculous. I was very pleasant with them the whole time. Like I said, it's not 100% perfect but I can live with it. However they outsource their body work and when the car was returned I'm sure they didn't even look at it. And when I picked it up yesterday they just gave me the keys and my receipt and sent me on my way, very cold altitude. I also had to bring the rental back to Hertz and get a ride to the dealer. You would think someone at the dealer would return the car for you. Not that big of a deal but would have been more convenient, I didn't complain about any of this to the dealer since I'm concerned that as I previously stated I was worried that if the hood was replaced and repaint it might not match properly. Again these are pet peeves and not that big of deal but this is a brand new car. And for those saying it's not likes its a BMW, I wouldn't care if it was a $18,000 Focus. When it's new it should be perfect. If not it should be fixed. Now I know next time I buy a new car go over every inch. If you can spend an hour or more haggling price a few extra minutes to look everything over shouldn't be a big deal. In my case I did look the car, but was looking for scratches/dents. The hood dent is so small you can only see it if your really looking hard. The thing is once you see it you can't unsee it. Again they made the dent almost unnoticeable. And I can live with it.

Sorry again for the long rant.

By the way, Stang 1 did you get your issues resolved?

After my car sat on the dealers lot for a full month, they decided that the dent could not be fixed. Autumn at Ford told me a new unpainted hood would be sent. Now the first thing I remembered was the service manager telling me that he did not think it wise to repaint the rear quarter panel to fix that issue because their (dealership) paint job would be like painting the car in a barn, when compared to the factory paint job. At that point, there was no way I was going to let the dealer paint the hood. The end of this story is that I picked my car up the next day, flaws and all, I will just deal with it the best that I can. I do feel fortunate that I found a Limited Edition at MSRP but this should have been handled better by Ford.

BlueBellThunder 2/9/15 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by stang1 (Post 6896688)
After my car sat on the dealers lot for a full month, they decided that the dent could not be fixed. Autumn at Ford told me a new unpainted hood would be sent. Now the first thing I remembered was the service manager telling me that he did not think it wise to repaint the rear quarter panel to fix that issue because their (dealership) paint job would be like painting the car in a barn, when compared to the factory paint job. At that point, there was no way I was going to let the dealer paint the hood. The end of this story is that I picked my car up the next day, flaws and all, I will just deal with it the best that I can. I do feel fortunate that I found a Limited Edition at MSRP but this should have been handled better by Ford.

Yeah Ford should've handled it better. I've bee a lifelong Ford owner, five Mustangs, but I don't think I'll buy another Ford in the future. while my experience isn't nowhere near what you went through, the whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth.

cdynaco 2/9/15 03:48 AM

Now the first thing I remembered was the service manager telling me that he did not think it wise to repaint the rear quarter panel to fix that issue because their (dealership) paint job would be like painting the car in a barn, when compared to the factory paint job. At that point, there was no way I was going to let the dealer paint the hood. .

Then the powers at be and/or Deysha should have gotten a reputable Dealer paint shop involved. Just because yours is a hack that paints out in a field doesn't mean other Dealers don't have proper paint booths and talent.

Unacceptable.

dave07 2/9/15 08:44 AM

The problem lies in the fact the dealership are independently owned and operated. Every state should have a FoMoCo owned and operated dealer where Ford can actually back up there customer service promises. But I'm pretty sure that isn't going to happen.

I'm sure there are some sort of incentives/disincentives out there now that Ford can do but it doesn't seem to sway the dealer that much.

SD CALSPCL 2/9/15 09:55 PM

Your dealer is ...well, never mind. Take the car to a reputable Paintless Dent Repair shop. The dent can be removed. I watched one do the rear door on my Tuxedo Black SHO. The dent was between the center line and the bottom of the window, on the drivers side. Every time I drove the car I saw this 5" dent (Most likely from an SUV rear door being dragged along my door). He removed the dent and polished the top of the door and it looked new. This same repairman did my wife's previous '09 Silver Passat Wagon, which took a shopping cart in the drivers door. Check with your insurance agent for one they recommend. It cost $65.00 for the SHO. Well worth it to pay and get it done right.

UOP Shadow 12/9/15 09:12 AM

I feel for you. Curse of owning a white car. You can see all the gaps more and any fit issue looks exaggerated. We had similar issues with our 2013 perf white car.

When we bought our 50 years LE, we went with kona just for these reasons. Sure, it will be harder to touch up because of the metalflakes but it hides all of the seams much better!

harley_the_husky 4/24/19 12:14 PM

My humble opinion, if I may: The whole bonnet ( hood as you say ) appears to require adjustment on the hinges. If you look you can see that approximate 3mm run-out between the drivers' side of the bonnet and front wing ( fender ).

When I bought my 2015 mustang, ( non franchised dealer ) he remarked at how amazingly well the panels lined up and suggested that it was definitely not " the norm "....

Best wishes,
Eddie