The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   GT (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f850/)
-   -   Where the 'F' is it?? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f850/where-f-538725/)

dblhelx 9/6/15 08:32 PM

Where the 'F' is it??

Maybe I've had too many beers today, but where the hell is the oil filter on the 15 GT?

I'm under the car today, unscrewed one screw and under a little plastic flap I see an oil filter BUT it's screwed into a bare aluminum thing, not into the usual engine block location. This aluminum thing looks like maybe a transmission cooler by I don't have the track pack. It was too hot and I was too lazy to take off all the screws and plastic tabs and remove all the plastic air dams, etc.

Google was useless and not a single forum thread on it.

Joeywhat 9/6/15 08:51 PM

That's probably it, it's not right on the block, it has a flange or sorts that sticks out that it attaches to.

Jazzman442 9/7/15 12:16 AM

Two Screws and the Plastic Folds down. If you have the Track Pack the filter attaches to the cooler assembly. If it is your first change the filter will be small.

cczx14r 9/7/15 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzman442 (Post 6945127)
Two Screws and the Plastic Folds down. If you have the Track Pack the filter attaches to the cooler assembly. If it is your first change the filter will be small.

Could you expand on the "filter will be small" comment please. My GT is on order, but the owner's manual calls for the standard MotorCraft FL-500-S oil filter. I have asked and looked around the internet like the OP has, but not one pic of the filter and how to get at it can be found.

dblhelx 9/7/15 09:42 AM

Yeah the filter is a tiny white one. The thing is I don't have track pack but the filter is screwed into the bare aluminum thing....which must be an external oil cooler.....it has two thick hoses attached to it. And I just needed to take out one screw for that little flap to totally bend out of the way to expose the filter......the filter is on a weird angle. Different than my '13 GT for sure.

FivePointSlow 10/6/15 08:08 PM

HAHA :D . Srry, i work at ford and have done wayyyy to many oil changes on these mustangs.. ecoboost's v6's and the ol 5.0. Ashamed i cant say ive done it on my own 5.0 yet... Hopefully on order very soon.... but on the Performance Pack models, the oil filter will be located on the left hand side (as if you were sitting in the drive seat) above a little flap near the driver side tire, only thing holding the flap up is a 7mm bolt you need to remove, the flap will hang down. The oil filter is directly above it on an angle. On Non-performance pack mustangs you will need to remove the middle shield which is held in by two 10mm screws at the back part and four 7mm screws all around. From there it is directly above (more on the left side; again as if your sitting in the driver seat) Cant miss it! For the first oil change it will be an almost completely white oil filter with black FOMOCO on it. These can sometimes be a pain to remove (by hand) due to the fact that it is put on a dry surface with no oil at the plant; so the filter likes to stick a little. Get some cheap oil filter pliers from AutoZone or wherever. Remove the filter and replace with a Motorcraft fl500s filter or whatever applicable. Be sure to rub some new oil on the O-ring so the next time you go to take it off it isn't a big pain in the ***. From there the 5.0 take 8 qts of 5w-20. USE SYNTHETIC keep it protected!!! . 2.3 Ecoboost takes a fl910s filter and 5.7 quarts of 5w-30 and the 3.7 takes a fl500s filter as well and 6 quarts of 5w-20. Now go get the oil change done!! You can get the Motorcraft filters at most any parts store. AutoZone for sure carries them.