GT

Traded my '06 GT for a '17 GT.

Search this Thread

Old 1/4/18, 08:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Traded my '06 GT for a '17 GT.

It was a sad day to trade my 2006 GT with 130k miles. But I got a pretty good deal on a pretty loaded 2017 GT Premium.

I've owned it for a week, and it's slowly starting to feel like mine. I felt like I lost a best friend and was forced to hang out with someone who wanted to me my friend.

Got a few mods in the plans. Already have worked in the deal to get my rims powdercoated black from the dealer. Already ordered the blackout badges for the front grill and side 5.0 fender emblems. Looking for the GT trunk emblem I want to buy. Considering doing black incerts for the hood heat extractors. And May look into getting a black spoiler. Also may tint the windows. Turn it into a Stormtrooper. It's also that premium white color. The pearlescent color. Would have rather had standard white. But this is fine.

The one thing I really miss is the CAI and tune I had on the 06. That thing jumped off the line and barked the tires up through 4th. I need to do that. Also considering getting a muffler delete exhaust.

Two things I don't really like are the "Blind spot" mirrors. I set up my mirrors in a way that I don't have any blind spots, and these blind spot mirrors hinder my view to be able to quickly identify whats beside me.

Also the seat doesn't go low enough. I feel like I'm sitting up too high. The rearview mirror is in the way for me to be able to see things coming from the right.

But other than those things, I'm sure once spring comes around, I'll be having more fun with it. So much stuff to play with in the dash.
Old 1/4/18, 08:52 AM
GT Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Looks good, congrats. I bet the deals are sweet for a 2017 this time of year. What's that white stuff on the ground..
Old 1/4/18, 09:08 AM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Congrats on the upgrade! Coyotes have a completely different exhaust tone than 3vs, muffler deletes arent the best idea IMO. A lot of people have problems with raspiness from an improper exhaust setup on these cars, especially if cat-less.

How much is powdercoating? Considering the picture you posted IMO it would be smart to just get a wider/lighter set of wheels with summer tires, and then put some winter tires on your stock wheels. These coyotes have way more power, and weight up front, than the stock tires can handle when pushed.

Lito was the man for tuning 3vs, but for coyotes look at Lund, AED, VMP, and PBD.

I really dont like the seats in my wife's 2016, they squeeze my sides which makes them uncomfortable, and I agree about sitting too high.
Old 1/4/18, 11:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by motor12
Looks good, congrats. I bet the deals are sweet for a 2017 this time of year. What's that white stuff on the ground..
Camo.

Originally Posted by fourdegrees11
Congrats on the upgrade! Coyotes have a completely different exhaust tone than 3vs, muffler deletes arent the best idea IMO. A lot of people have problems with raspiness from an improper exhaust setup on these cars, especially if cat-less.

How much is powdercoating? Considering the picture you posted IMO it would be smart to just get a wider/lighter set of wheels with summer tires, and then put some winter tires on your stock wheels. These coyotes have way more power, and weight up front, than the stock tires can handle when pushed.

Lito was the man for tuning 3vs, but for coyotes look at Lund, AED, VMP, and PBD.

I really dont like the seats in my wife's 2016, they squeeze my sides which makes them uncomfortable, and I agree about sitting too high.
Was looking at the exhaust on American Muscle, and even though it's really hard to tell from the audio quality, thought the deletes sounded good. Thanks for the info.

I got my last CAI and Tune from Brenspeed. Thought I'd go with them again for this one. I live just south of them a couple hours, so maybe I could go see them and actually hear different exhausts.

Powder coating was $200 I think. They said that was cost.
Old 1/4/18, 07:02 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
That's cool living near Breenspeed, if they are able to get you on their dyno in the future it would be worth it to deal with them. Only being able to offer cookie cutter email tunes for everyone else makes them not a recommended tuner IMO.
Old 1/6/18, 08:28 AM
GT Member

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Congrats on the new car. I'd hate giving up my S197 as well.
Old 1/13/18, 10:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I did the same. Traded my 05 Legend Lime Gt on a 17 Lightning Blue GT PP. Now it sit in the garage from Dec to April till the snow goes.
Old 1/28/18, 11:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

There's no way I'm going to make this; InkedIMG_0255_LI.jpg

Look like this; http://c8.alamy.com/comp/DYN7W5/car-...usa-DYN7W5.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Traded my '06 GT for a '17 GT.-inkedimg_0255_li.jpg  
Old 1/29/18, 06:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Congrats on the new car.
Like said above, I wouldn't spend good money on doing anything to the stock wheels, I'd really look into putting that money toward a different set of wheels/tires that will look better and fill those wheel wells better.
Factory wheels have a way of looking all tucked in inward, new wheels have offsets that usually push them outward a bit, for a wider stance and better handling.

And as far as a tune, for a Coyote I would never consider Brenspeed.
Do some research for other tuners locally, maybe join some Facebook groups and see who recommends what, but you really want a dyno tune, not an email guess-o-tune.
Old 1/31/18, 05:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Lime GT
I did the same. Traded my 05 Legend Lime Gt on a 17 Lightning Blue GT PP. Now it sit in the garage from Dec to April till the snow goes.
wrong just all kinds of wrong ... man ...OH ....Man ...OH Man
Old 1/31/18, 05:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Gravydog316
Get snow tires and cruise the Peg
there's a few around here all winter
Have to agree. I know I would.
Old 1/31/18, 10:29 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Originally Posted by woody24
It was a sad day to trade my 2006 GT with 130k miles. But I got a pretty good deal on a pretty loaded 2017 GT Premium.

I've owned it for a week, and it's slowly starting to feel like mine. I felt like I lost a best friend and was forced to hang out with someone who wanted to me my friend.

Got a few mods in the plans. Already have worked in the deal to get my rims powdercoated black from the dealer. Already ordered the blackout badges for the front grill and side 5.0 fender emblems. Looking for the GT trunk emblem I want to buy. Considering doing black incerts for the hood heat extractors. And May look into getting a black spoiler. Also may tint the windows. Turn it into a Stormtrooper. It's also that premium white color. The pearlescent color. Would have rather had standard white. But this is fine.

The one thing I really miss is the CAI and tune I had on the 06. That thing jumped off the line and barked the tires up through 4th. I need to do that. Also considering getting a muffler delete exhaust.

Two things I don't really like are the "Blind spot" mirrors. I set up my mirrors in a way that I don't have any blind spots, and these blind spot mirrors hinder my view to be able to quickly identify whats beside me.

Also the seat doesn't go low enough. I feel like I'm sitting up too high. The rearview mirror is in the way for me to be able to see things coming from the right.

But other than those things, I'm sure once spring comes around, I'll be having more fun with it. So much stuff to play with in the dash.
I'm sure you really didn't want to trade in your "06" GT. However, with 130k miles on her, I can certainly understand your reason. Hopefully, the dealership offered you fair value for the "06" towards the new "17" GT premium. Anyway, I'd also like to say congrats and hope you'll enjoy having plenty of fun with it for many years to come

I just hope the dealership offered at least somewhat of a fair market value for the "05" legend lime GT towards your current "17" Lightning Blue GT?

At any rate, I also considered trading in my "06" GT. However, despite the fact it has barely just over 27k original miles, I'd probably be lucky if a dealership offered between 8k-10k due that the car is now 12 years old and that banks are reluctant to finance vehicles that are 10 years old and over.

That being said, I'd more than likely sell my car outright, rather than risk losing money as a trade in

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/31/18 at 10:34 PM.
Old 2/2/18, 09:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT

I just hope the dealership offered at least somewhat of a fair market value for the "05" legend lime GT towards your current "17" Lightning Blue GT?

At any rate, I also considered trading in my "06" GT. However, despite the fact it has barely just over 27k original miles, I'd probably be lucky if a dealership offered between 8k-10k due that the car is now 12 years old and that banks are reluctant to finance vehicles that are 10 years old and over.

That being said, I'd more than likely sell my car outright, rather than risk losing money as a trade in
I agree with you on losing money on a trade-in, however my situation was tight in that the 17 was the only car around in city with an option list I wanted. Winter came early and I'd have to wait 6 months to sell my 05 another year older devaluing the car. Didn't want an 18, turned down an offer with employee pricing and got better than employee pricing 6 weeks later.

One thing I do know in the short time I've had to drive the 17 is that it's light years ahead of my 1st year build 05 in every way, except I liked Legend Lime paint better.
Old 2/3/18, 09:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks everyone!

I got a pretty good deal for the trade-in value I think. Especially for the miles and years. Everything about it was cherry, so I think that's why they came up closer to what I wanted to see. Never smoked in my car, never ate food, never used any air fresheners. So it was as clean as could be with zero smell. Salesman even said that if he'd seen this car, he would have thought the seats had been replaced because they looked too good.

But I was going to shoot for 10k if I sold on my own. I got the dealer up to $7250. That seemed fair to me. Hated thinking about letting it go for $4500. Was worth more than that to me.

Still probably could have gotten more selling outright, but probably not much more. At least not enough to make it worth it. I'm a single guy with a single car. I would have had to have everything lined up perfectly for the sales and buying the new one, without having to get a rental.

This '17 is growing on me. Still used to looking for a black one in the parking lot.

The tires and wheels was something I considered with my '06, but could never justify the price. I just couldn't stomach it. But, it may be something I actively try to save for over a year or two. If I knew that I'd have my old one 10 years, maybe I would have thought about it differently.
Old 2/3/18, 01:53 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
I agree with you on losing money on a trade-in, however my situation was tight in that the 17 was the only car around in city with an option list I wanted. Winter came early and I'd have to wait 6 months to sell my 05 another year older devaluing the car. Didn't want an 18, turned down an offer with employee pricing and got better than employee pricing 6 weeks later.

One thing I do know in the short time I've had to drive the 17 is that it's light years ahead of my 1st year build 05 in every way, except I liked Legend Lime paint better.
With your situation being tight, I can certainly understand your reason for not wanting to wait another 6 months before being able to sell your car outright and then risk further devaluation by another year. I just hope you got at least fair market value for the "05" towards your "17"

As much as I would love getting into a 17 or 18 model, I just couldn't afford to take such a huge hit by trading in my "06" GT despite having just barely 27k original miles on her. Unfortunately, dealers consider low mileage cars as only small factors when compared to the age of the vehicle as far as financing is concerned. I also have too much money invested in performance mods in which I'd also take a huge loss on as well, so for my particular situation, it would be in my best interest to sell my car outright rather than use it as a trade-in.

In the meantime, I can definitely relate to the "17" as being light years ahead of your previous "05" in every way following your experience and once again I also offer my congrats to you
Old 2/3/18, 03:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
As much as I would love getting into a 17 or 18 model, I just couldn't afford to take such a huge hit by trading in my "06" GT despite having just barely 27k original miles on her. Unfortunately, dealers consider low mileage cars as only small factors when compared to the age of the vehicle as far as financing is concerned. I also have too much money invested in performance mods in which I'd also take a huge loss on as well, so for my particular situation, it would be in my best interest to sell my car outright rather than use it as a trade-in.
:
If my '06 even had 75k on it, I still wouldn't have traded it in. I'd still hold on to it for sure. The fun value of it outweighs the price value.

For me I never wanted to get rid of it. The power and the sound of the car was better than any new features to me. But I was never really happy with how my '06 accelerated and shifted after the transmission repair. They added a different shift kit or something, and my tune just wasn't the same afterwards. Then this year I know something with my suspension needed fixing, and it needed new brakes for sure. Figured it was time to give it up.
Old 2/3/18, 10:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks everyone!

I got a pretty good deal for the trade-in value I think. Especially for the miles and years. Everything about it was cherry, so I think that's why they came up closer to what I wanted to see. Never smoked in my car, never ate food, never used any air fresheners. So it was as clean as could be with zero smell. Salesman even said that if he'd seen this car, he would have thought the seats had been replaced because they looked too good.

But I was going to shoot for 10k if I sold on my own. I got the dealer up to $7250. That seemed fair to me. Hated thinking about letting it go for $4500. Was worth more than that to me.
I think you got a pretty good deal on your trade especially if it was winter bitten. Mine came in a bit higher in Canadian dollars but with 61000 miles only. I think they'll probably sell it from Canada to the US side and make up on the dollar difference. Oh well, the dealer tries to sell a sporty car, high on it's performance and then shuns the trade in low, saying they're usually beat. Not so true on well looked after cars though.
Old 2/4/18, 10:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts

Nothing like making a few new car payments to watch your new baby collect dust! As someone originally from the Syracuse area, who could reach up through the GIANT RUST HOLE in the bottom of his 1st car's door, enough to fix the window mechanism...I get ya. Keep her clean!
Old 2/4/18, 10:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
If my '06 even had 75k on it, I still wouldn't have traded it in. I'd still hold on to it for sure. The fun value of it outweighs the price value.

For me I never wanted to get rid of it. The power and the sound of the car was better than any new features to me. But I was never really happy with how my '06 accelerated and shifted after the transmission repair. They added a different shift kit or something, and my tune just wasn't the same afterwards. Then this year I know something with my suspension needed fixing, and it needed new brakes for sure. Figured it was time to give it up.
It starts getting easier to give up a car when you've got a myriad of little problems like that. Brakes and suspension are easy (although tracking down a suspension problem can be a real PITA). Transmission stuff though...that sucks, and it gets real expensive. Out of curiosity, who did the work on it?

I had a '96 Monte Carlo (i.e. a 2 dr Lumina) I loved, I'd put so much work into fixing it up and it was like a couch rolling down the road. But it had a lot of little problems, including a few weird electrical gremlins. The ABS stopped working at one point and I eventually said enough was enough and used it as an excuse to buy my '06 Mustang as a dependable daily driver. I think the Chevy had about 115k on it at the time. I kept the car as my beater for a little while but just gave up on the gremlins. The guy I sold it to had everything fixed in a WEEK. Couldn't believe how easy those fixes were I had seller's remorse for a couple weeks, but the new car grew on me really fast. You'll miss your '06 for a little while, but I bet eventually you'll realize before too long just how much of an upgrade the '17 really is. Especially once you get to modding it
Old 2/4/18, 10:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Out of curiosity, who did the work on it?
Was a local transmission shop. That's what they specialize in, so I figured they must be good. In the end, I think I was taken. Would have been cheaper to buy a brand new one than what I paid for them to rebuild it.

But it started out with "We don't know what's wrong with it yet. So we need to plug it into the computer. That will be $xxx just to do that." Then it became: "The computer didn't see anything, so we need to tear it apart. That will be $xxx just to do that." Then it was, "We estimate this to be about a $1500 to $2000 job. Is that okay?" Then it went to "we found something new, and it was about ready to explode. We don't know why it hadn't already, the new estimate is $3000-$4000." Then after they did the work they were like, "Well, we had to replace the whatever, and the whatever, and do this. Your new total is just over $5000. How would you like to pay?"

This is a summary of the exact conversation I had with them. So, yeah, never going back to them again.

They way they handled it, it seemed like it was going to be reasonable for what needed to be done. But then it kept getting worse and worse and I couldn't just say, "Okay, I'll come pick it up and drive it to somewhere else." Once it got too expensive, it sounded like it was in complete pieces.

Last edited by woody24; 2/4/18 at 10:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Traded my '06 GT for a '17 GT.