How To Section By TMS Member 1 Old Racer How To Threads & Youtube Vids!

Something different with those ugly rear clipers

Search this Thread

Old 8/14/18, 08:15 AM
Royal Crimson GT PP1 Member

Received 126 Likes on 81 Posts
No wires on wheels. They are wireless. Are far as the TPMS knowing which tire... I dont know if the S550's have a "learn" feature built into the system. For me it doesn't matter. If I get a low pressure warning I check all of them.

Last edited by 1 old racer; 8/14/18 at 08:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
woody24 (8/14/18)
Old 8/14/18, 08:17 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
No wires for the TPMS. There are sensors inside the tire, but the connection is wireless. Not sure what the procedure is for rotating on the S550's since it displays individual pressures. The S197 system only alerts when a tire is low. It doesn't tell you which, so you have to check the all.
woody24 (8/14/18)
Old 8/14/18, 08:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
So if it's wireless, it has to have batteries in the wheels then right? Wonder how long they last?

It's a cool system. I checked all 4 after my system warned me of the passenger rear, and my tire gauge was spot on with what the computer was telling me for each of the 4 tires. Even updates in real time as I added air.
Old 8/14/18, 08:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by woody24
Here's a possible dumb questions. This is my first car with the computer monitored tire PSI. With that, can you just pull off the tire? Are there any wires, or anything that need to be taken care of?

Also, say I want to rotate the tires, does the system know when the tires move?

Only just thought about this as I'm sitting at the dealer right now patching a nail.
The TPMS sensors are on the valve stem. The valve stems are 2 piece. The valve that you see protruding and the sensor screws onto the other side inside the tire. All wireless. I'm not sure if they re-sync up automatically or if the tire shop has to do it, but just ask them to be sure. The 07-14 cars don't tell you individual tire pressures, only that you have a tire with low pressure. The individual pressure readings came on the 2015+ so I'm not sure how that works with them.
woody24 (8/14/18)
Old 8/14/18, 11:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
@woody24

I haven't actually rotated tires on my '17 EB, but I do have two sets of wheels and tires, for snow and summer. After I swapped them, I just had to drive around a few minutes and it automatically read the pressures. I bought the little TPMS sync tool that looks like a little remote control with only one button, but I haven't needed it yet.

My system has always read within 1 psi of my dial gauge too.

Last edited by Sarge; 8/14/18 at 11:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sarge:
wanted33 (8/14/18), woody24 (8/14/18)
Old 8/14/18, 12:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
racer, I've got another question. Did you modify the front fender behind the tires. It looks different for some reason. Or, are my old eyes fooling me?
Old 8/14/18, 12:35 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
The battery in the sensor will outlive your tires. Sensors usually replaced with the tires.
woody24 (8/14/18)
Old 8/14/18, 09:42 PM
Royal Crimson GT PP1 Member

Received 126 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by wanted33
racer, I've got another question. Did you modify the front fender behind the tires. It looks different for some reason. Or, are my old eyes fooling me?
Yes I did modify the area behind the front fender. they are "fender scoops", I got them from American Muscle at a cost below $100. then had to paint them to match the body color. which for Royal Crimson was a little costly, because it is a pearl color. I like the look , adds just enough to make you take a second look.

Last edited by 1 old racer; 8/14/18 at 10:04 PM.
wanted33 (8/15/18)
Old 8/15/18, 07:26 AM
V6 Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
There is a small sync tool that re-learns the system to pair up the sensors with each tire. If you change your tires or rotate them, the TPMS needs to re-learn which wheels they are on. you can look it up online. Usually, Discount tire or the dealership has the tool and will re-learn the sensors once they change out your tires or rotate them.
Old 8/15/18, 10:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 1 old racer
Yes I did modify the area behind the front fender. they are "fender scoops", I got them from American Muscle at a cost below $100. then had to paint them to match the body color. which for Royal Crimson was a little costly, because it is a pearl color. I like the look , adds just enough to make you take a second look.
I likey bud. Looks good.
Old 8/15/18, 02:52 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Looks great!
Old 8/15/18, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The sensor is mounted to the wheel by a band. No problem rotating tires. The system figures it out (I believe based on distance from the monitor). I switch my wheels regularly to my autocross tires and it has no problem figuring things out when I put the street tires back on (no sensors on the competition tires).
Old 8/15/18, 07:51 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
You must have an earlier model. TPMS sensors have been valve stem mounted since at least 2010. The last Mustang that I know used band mounted sensors was 2008.
Old 8/16/18, 11:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Just an FYI here. I ordered a set of the black calipers covers for the brides '18, and the large ones I received are to small to cover the front caliper. I never even thought to look to see how big the OEM caliper is on these cars. Oh well, no problems. I'll cover the back calipers, and be happy. They're cheap, and look pretty good.
1 old racer (8/16/18)
Old 8/16/18, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Partly right EFI,
2016 car but my autocross tires are on 2008 wheels which is where I got my thought from. Oops.
Old 8/16/18, 10:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wanted33
Just an FYI here. I ordered a set of the black calipers covers for the brides '18, and the large ones I received are to small to cover the front caliper. I never even thought to look to see how big the OEM caliper is on these cars. Oh well, no problems. I'll cover the back calipers, and be happy. They're cheap, and look pretty good.
I was afraid of that. I ordered the Medium+small ones. After I did, I took a look at my front calipers, and had second thoughts.

May be able to give them to a friend of mine. He's been looking for an option for his Infinity.

Mine should be here tomorrow. So we'll see what they look like.
wanted33 (8/18/18)
Old 8/18/18, 09:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Just got mine. The front ones do look too small to cover my front caliper. Anyone have a link to a seller who sells the Large+Medium size ones? All I keep seeing are Med+Small.

Also, now I guess I've gotta go get some jack stands.
Old 8/18/18, 11:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Just got mine. The front ones do look too small to cover my front caliper. Anyone have a link to a seller who sells the Large+Medium size ones? All I keep seeing are Med+Small.

Also, now I guess I've gotta go get some jack stands.
I've got the jack stands Woody. If you've got a torque wrench (for the wheel lugs) we'll be in business.

Between me and my neighbor across the street we have almost everything, but a torque wrench. Oh well, guess I'll just have to do the old way.

BTW, I bought a set of the covers for my '06 GT. The medium ones won't fit the front calipers of that car either. They will fit the back though. I'm gonna try to find the larger red ones for the '06. I'm not even sure the larger ones will fit the front caliper of the brides '18 either. Those are some big ol' calipers on the front of hers.

Here's a link for the large ones. I have no idea if that is big enough for the front of my '06. They have the measurements, so I guess I'll just have to take a shot. I'm thinking I'll leave the brides front calipers as they are

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-ABS-Pl...4AAOSwk~ZaGODZ

Last edited by wanted33; 8/18/18 at 12:48 PM.
Old 8/18/18, 03:06 PM
Bullitt Member

I've got the torque wrench. Got mine from Harbor Freight. Not sure how accurate it is, but I'm sure it's close enough. Got it when I installed my hood struts where they said to torque them down to spec, or risk over-tightening them and stripping the tread.

Installed the strut tower brace last night and I tightened by hand until I thought they were tight enough. Checked with the torque wrench, and the nut turned another 1/2 turn before it got to the spec.

I did a quick un-accurate measurement of the current calipers, and it was about 13 inches wide at the widest point. The largest cover I got is around 9.5 inches. So yeah, those large ones may not even be large enough to fully cover. Looks like they're 11 inches. But heck, who knows. They may look good until you visually inspect them up close.
Old 8/18/18, 03:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I've got the torque wrench. Got mine from Harbor Freight. Not sure how accurate it is, but I'm sure it's close enough. Got it when I installed my hood struts where they said to torque them down to spec, or risk over-tightening them and stripping the tread.

Installed the strut tower brace last night and I tightened by hand until I thought they were tight enough. Checked with the torque wrench, and the nut turned another 1/2 turn before it got to the spec.

I did a quick un-accurate measurement of the current calipers, and it was about 13 inches wide at the widest point. The largest cover I got is around 9.5 inches. So yeah, those large ones may not even be large enough to fully cover. Looks like they're 11 inches. But heck, who knows. They may look good until you visually inspect them up close.
I've looked at those at Harbor Freight, and I may just buy one for the neighborhood gear heads. We change tools among each other more than we change underwear.

I just ordered a set of the large covers for my '06. The medium ones are just a gnats breath to small, and after a good old redneck look at, I think they will fit. They're coming from China, so it will be as long as Oct. 10th before they show up.

Last edited by wanted33; 8/18/18 at 03:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Something different with those ugly rear clipers