The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   GT (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f850/)
-   -   Question about Oil separators. (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f850/question-about-oil-separators-546887/)

Dr Plastic 5/29/19 07:56 AM

Question about Oil separators.

2016 GT Premium

Is it the norm to only install an oil separator catch can system on the passenger side only? Is there a system that takes the crankcase fumes from both cylinder banks. It seems to be a waste of money to install one on the passenger side only allowing fumes from the drivers side to still enter the intake stream .

TIA

SpectreH 5/29/19 08:32 AM

There are brands that have one for both sides. They way it is all plumbed from the factory, I don't know if the drivers side is needed when normally aspirated. At least that is how someone explained it to me.
For force induction, I think it is a good idea to have one on both sides.
Since ProCharger routed the lines on my '13 from both sides to a single T that went to the intake tube. I put a single catch can between the T and the tube.

Rpinaiii 5/29/19 12:59 PM

I have seen youtube videos with two catch cans, driver and passenger, on a mustang. The passenger side catch can was full after use while the drivers side was clean for same time of use. I think on a regular NA car it would be good to install one on the passenger side only. I have one on my 18. Might be a waste of money to install one on both sides. But you can do that if you want piece of mind. Some products offer both of them for sale together or you can buy them separately. The 'blowback" is mainly on the passenger side of the mustang.

shaneyusa 5/29/19 11:06 PM

Seen and read what Rpinaiii wrote. The way the coyote breaths the passenger side gets all the oil with a naturally aspirated engine. So you can install both sides, but only the passenger side will catch oil. Those that have installed the driver side in the past have reported the canister is dry. If you supercharge then you might want to look into using both sides, but still the driver side see little to no oil passing through.

Look hard at the Moroso large canister or Bob's if you want to catch the most oil. There are videos on here that show testing of multiple brands. Search for them. Those two are the top in amount of oil captured. JLT is everywhere, but is not highly regarded. I have the Moroso and I am very happy with it. Catch about 2+ ounces every 1000 miles. Looks good and easy to drain.

Here is a thread that might be of interest...
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...531966/index4/

roger blose 6/7/19 12:28 PM

Ford Performance Catch Can

I have the Ford Performance catch can and it fits and works great. Not too easy to drain but holds a good amount of oil and looks factory OEM. Install was about ten minutes tops and cost about $150 + at Summit Racing. All Coyotes must have this part!

SilrBult 6/7/19 03:12 PM

On a naturally aspirated engine fresh air is pulled into the engine from the intake tube into the driver's side valve cover before the air enters the throttle body. Air and crankcase vapors are sucked into the intake manifold from the passenger side valve cover behind the throttle body which is the vacuum side. The crankcase vapors are the reason for using a catch can. You will be hard pressed to find a better one than Bob's. Not as well advertised as some others, but very well engineered.

Glenn 6/7/19 09:09 PM

Why do i need one of these? What happens when you dont use one

SilrBult 6/8/19 07:23 PM

Well you don't absolutely have to have one, if it was necessary for safe engine operation the factory would have provided one. The advantage to a catch can is that it prevents most of the oil in the crankcase vapors from being ingested into the engines combustion chambers. As these oil vapors pass the intake valves some of it collects on the backsides of the valves and hardens from the heat [ carbon deposits ] and can in time cause a minor reduction in airflow and possibly prevent the valves from seating [ sealing ] properly. This is far more likely on direct injected engines since unlike port injected engines there aren't any fuel droplets [ more like a very fine mist ] passing the valves. All gasoline has detergent additives [ some more or better than others ] and this helps to keep the backsides of the valves clean. That's why '18 and up Coyotes have port injection in addition to the direct injection. Even port injected engines can benefit from preventing the oil vapor from the crankcase from entering the intake manifold. Lastly oil vapor reduces the octane of the gasoline. If you run the car hard or have a performance tune you might experience detonation without a catch can. For example I have a '14 GT with a track key and when the track key is in use you MUST use at least 91 or higher octane fuel. Even with 91 or better some people experience detonation which is why Ford Performance recommends the use of a catch can with the track key. The downside to a catch can is that it must be emptied every so often. Some require disassembly, the Bob's can has a drain valve at the bottom.

Rpinaiii 6/10/19 08:02 AM

I have the JLT catch can and super easy to install and empty. I recommend it.

Dr Plastic 6/10/19 03:51 PM

Thanks for the input everyone!

Grayghost5.0 4/30/22 08:15 AM

drivers side is useless .... the drives side sucks in air from the Intake Tube into the crank ...the Passenger side vents any pressure "blow by" back into the intake manifold. The passenger side is the only side needed for an oil separator. Drivers side would be a waste of money due that no fumes/ oil will be vented out of the drivers side it also has a bypass valve in the pcv tube thats connected to the valve cover that will not allow any air to be released from the drivers side at all. so if youre going for looks, just delete the tube and put a breather on it and cap it off at the intake tube. if not then just dont touch it at all