GT

Which motor oil is everyone using?

Search this Thread

Old 9/6/18, 02:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
I’ve been using Mobil 1 and a Motorcraft oem filter on my 2005 since I bought it new and have had no problems at all. I have about 63,000 miles on the car.
Oil analysis from Blackstone labs confirms everything is good.

Old 9/6/18, 02:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
I've used Motorcraft, Mobil 1, custom-blended BND Automotive oil, and now I use exclusively Amsoil full synthetic oil.
Amsoil 5W50 Signature series for my '13 GT and my wife's '08 GT500.
Amsoil 5w30 OE-series oil in my '06 Tundra and my wife's 200,000-mile '03 Subaru.

The only oil I've had oil consumption with (in a previous car, a 2007 Dodge Charger R/T with the 5.7 Hemi), was the Mobil 1 5W20.
Same car, I switched away from the Mobil 1 and my oil consumption went away. I then swore I'd never use Mobil 1 again.

I've now been using Amsoil for a few years, no oil consumption, and great results from used-oil analysis tests.
Got to the point I became an independent Amsoil dealer

Old 9/6/18, 02:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
Mobil 1 Extended Performance, at Wally World for about $27/5 quarts, seems like the "best value" to me. I doubt any oil gets a whole lot "better" than that and the price is reasonable. I believe it is a Group IV synthetic base stock which is a "true true synthetic."

I always use the bigger 820 filter. If you compare that to the 500 filter, the 500 looks kinda puny. I guess it probably doesn't matter if you change it regularly but the extra filter media in the bigger filter seems like a good thing.

Those filters with the nut on them seem like a great idea, until you try to remove one and find out that the nut is huge, bigger than any wrench or socket that is included in any normal wrench or socket set. Even my biggest adjustable won't fit that stupid thing; I think it is 1" or 1-1/8" . . . I don't know why they had to make that thing so big, so that you have to go out and buy a special wrench or socket to fit it; pretty sure a smaller nut in a common size like 3/4 or 7/8 would have worked just fine.
The nut is 1" and I went to Lowe's and bought a cheap Kobalt box end wrench. Having the nut on there just makes things easier in my opinion.
Old 9/6/18, 03:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,022 Posts
Originally Posted by area5179
The nut is 1" and I went to Lowe's and bought a cheap Kobalt box end wrench. Having the nut on there just makes things easier in my opinion.
yeah but the thing is, you don't realize that the nut is that big, until you have already drained the oil out of the car, then how are you going to get to Lowe's to buy the big special wrench?

Originally Posted by frank s
. . . filters have proven surprisingly delicate when poked at or subjected to wrinkling force.
ain't that the truth . . . when I got so pissed off because I couldn't find a wrench that would fit that giant nut, I crushed the thing with my bare hands, then I was able to get a grip on it with channel locks . . . made a big mess but it was kind of satisfying

LOL ;-)

but seriously, yeah the nut could come in handy, sometimes it's hard to get a filter wrench on there, and on my wife's Honda the filter is only accessible from the bottom . . . just gotta remember to pick up a 1" socket next time I'm at HD

Last edited by Bert; 9/6/18 at 03:22 PM.
Old 9/6/18, 04:35 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
when I got so pissed off because I couldn't find a wrench that would fit that giant nut, I crushed the thing with my bare hands, then I was able to get a grip on it with channel locks . . . made a big mess but it was kind of satisfying

LOL ;-)
I did the same thing one time I couldn't get any leverage on it even with a strap and got so pissed off I crushed it into submission!
Old 9/6/18, 04:58 PM
GT Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I always use the bigger 820 filter. If you compare that to the 500 filter, the 500 looks kinda puny. I guess it probably doesn't matter if you change it regularly but the extra filter media in the bigger filter seems like a good thing..
How does that even fit since it is significantly wider than the mounting boss for the FL-500S? Is there a filter that is the same diameter but longer?

Old 9/6/18, 05:00 PM
GT Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
yeah but the thing is, you don't realize that the nut is that big, until you have already drained the oil out of the car, then how are you going to get to Lowe's to buy the big special wrench?

ain't that the truth . . . when I got so pissed off because I couldn't find a wrench that would fit that giant nut, I crushed the thing with my bare hands, then I was able to get a grip on it with channel locks . . . made a big mess but it was kind of satisfying

LOL ;-)

but seriously, yeah the nut could come in handy, sometimes it's hard to get a filter wrench on there, and on my wife's Honda the filter is only accessible from the bottom . . . just gotta remember to pick up a 1" socket next time I'm at HD
Ummmm test fit a wrench on the dang thing before you start........!
The following users liked this post:
area5179 (9/7/18)
Old 9/6/18, 07:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Dr Plastic
How does that even fit since it is significantly wider than the mounting boss for the FL-500S? Is there a filter that is the same diameter but longer?
I've used an 820 on my Coyote too.
The filter body is bigger. The mounting surface is the same.
The Boss 302 R (or whichever racing model the Boss version is) uses an 820-size filter on its 5.0
Dr Plastic (9/7/18)
Old 9/7/18, 04:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I assume it will fit, there is all kinds of room on my 4.6 but not sure about later years . . . will have less clearance and less room for the strap wrench, better get one with a nut and don't forget to go to Lowe's . . .

Ummmm test fit a wrench on the dang thing before you start........!
and check the air pressure in all tires at least once a week . . . . who really does that? :-)
Old 9/7/18, 08:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
While I had my car up in the air this weekend, I was taking a peak underneath. I have a couple years of free oil changes from Ford, so I won't be getting under my car any time soon to change the oil. But saw the oil filter is in an odd spot. Do you have to take the wheel off to change it? Or that plastic cover? Didn't notice where the drain plug was either. Was that under that plastic cover?

Edit. Never mind. YouTube always has the answers.

Last edited by woody24; 9/7/18 at 08:32 AM.
area5179 (9/7/18)
Old 9/7/18, 03:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

[QUOTE=Bert;7034831]yeah but the thing is, you don't realize that the nut is that big, until you have already drained the oil out of the car, then how are you going to get to Lowe's to buy the big special wrench?

The box has the size listed on it and I checked before I did my oil change. You know, be prepared and all.
Old 10/12/18, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wal Mart

Originally Posted by Jim's Fury
Is it full synthetic and where can I get it? Wally World?
My Wal Mart carries it. Plus they have the Motorcraft filter too.
Old 10/12/18, 07:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

[QUOTE=area5179;7034898]
. . . The box has the size listed on it and I checked before I did my oil change. You know, be prepared and all.
you must be a Boy Scout . . . and you probably read the instructions too, right? who does that?

LOL, just kidding, I usually do read instructions myself, I find they can be very helpful . . . but didn't realize I needed instructions for an oil filter

Originally Posted by rockthe60s
My Wal Mart carries it. Plus they have the Motorcraft filter too.
I suggest you spend the extra $2-3 per 5 quarts to get the "extended performance" Mobil-1, which I believe is a true Group IV synthetic base stock (I hope I am remembering that right)
Old 10/13/18, 01:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Penzoil platinum ultra. Hard to find. But the best oil around imo.
Old 10/14/18, 06:00 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I've been using Castrol Edge 5W-50 and FRPP filter with great results. I have been doing 5000 miles between oil changes with 3-4 track days, but after last oil analysis from Blackstone I can go further. This oil analysis was done with 5100 miles on the oil, and 3 track days. That's 6 hours of track time and RPMs between 4000 and 7000. Plenty of life left in the oil. I also think that particularly for non track/autox users 10,000 mile oil change interval is not a problem at all with good oil and filter.

Old 10/14/18, 08:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KMULSB8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KMULSB8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fits a Motorcraft FL820S like a glove … also FL-1A on my older FoMoCos

Last edited by tbear853; 10/14/18 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10/15/18, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2018 GT automatic with 3500 miles and I will be switching to NAPA synthetic 5W-30 oil at 5,000 miles from Mobil One 5W-20 I used at 1,000 miles for the break-in. I've heard that 5W-30 will protect the engine better and where I live in VA we have a warmer climate.
Old 10/15/18, 08:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Chuck Gladfelter
I have a 2018 GT automatic with 3500 miles and I will be switching to NAPA synthetic 5W-30 oil at 5,000 miles from Mobil One 5W-20 I used at 1,000 miles for the break-in. I've heard that 5W-30 will protect the engine better and where I live in VA we have a warmer climate.
Your local dealership will be so happy to deny warranty claims once they see that 5W30 viscosity on the oil receipts they might request in case of an engine repair.

I would really recommend staying with the factory-recommended 5W20 viscosity.
A higher-quality oil can do wonders, all within the same viscosity rating.
Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum is a good oil, I recommend (and sell) Amsoil, let me know if you want a quote.
Old 10/16/18, 08:10 PM
V6 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I did quite a bit of reading on oil and the only reason for the 5W20 was because of the CAFE laws...just squeezing the last 1/4 mpg to meet a certain fuel consumption was enough for Ford to avoid millions in fines for not being able to meet a certain fuel efficiency.
The same cars and same engines in Australia use 5W30. It might not make any difference now to use 5W20, but for the long haul motor longevity 5W30 will provide better protection.

I forget the site I read it on. One member who was an engineer for Ford was in charge of lubrication research for the 4.6 series engines.
Anyways the guy said if I was you I would not use 5W20 in a 4.6 motor. I don't know what the recommended oil is for a 5.0, but the same probably applies for to it too. Didn't Boss Mustangs come with 20W50 from the factory

I forgot to say I drank the coolaid lol and use Amsoil Signature Synthetic 5W30 and filter

Last edited by darcman; 10/16/18 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10/17/18, 02:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by darcman
I did quite a bit of reading on oil and the only reason for the 5W20 was because of the CAFE laws...just squeezing the last 1/4 mpg to meet a certain fuel consumption was enough for Ford to avoid millions in fines for not being able to meet a certain fuel efficiency.
The same cars and same engines in Australia use 5W30. It might not make any difference now to use 5W20, but for the long haul motor longevity 5W30 will provide better protection.

I forget the site I read it on. One member who was an engineer for Ford was in charge of lubrication research for the 4.6 series engines.
Anyways the guy said if I was you I would not use 5W20 in a 4.6 motor. I don't know what the recommended oil is for a 5.0, but the same probably applies for to it too. Didn't Boss Mustangs come with 20W50 from the factory

I forgot to say I drank the coolaid lol and use Amsoil Signature Synthetic 5W30 and filter
Originally Posted by Gabe
Your local dealership will be so happy to deny warranty claims once they see that 5W30 viscosity on the oil receipts they might request in case of an engine repair.

I would really recommend staying with the factory-recommended 5W20 viscosity.
A higher-quality oil can do wonders, all within the same viscosity rating.
Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum is a good oil, I recommend (and sell) Amsoil, let me know if you want a quote.
Darcman might be on to something. According to my 2019 GT Owner's Manual under track use (pg 248):
5.0L: Prior to the track event, drain the
engine oil, replace the oil filter and
change the engine oil to 5W-30. After
the track event, drain the engine oil,
replace the oil filter and refill the engine
oil with 5W-20. I would assume that using the 5w-30 during track use would offer better lubrication because of the hard use usually seen on a track.

Quick Reply: Which motor oil is everyone using?