The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   GT (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f850/)
-   -   H-pipe in stock exhaust (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f850/h-pipe-stock-exhaust-545848/)

Marco_GT 7/7/18 04:56 AM

H-pipe in stock exhaust

My 2016 Mustang GT is pretty much standard. I really like the deep sound of the stock exhaust but feel it could be a little bit louder. I don't fancy spending £1500 and find I don't like a full system. I've been told the h-pipe replacement for the resonator is a good way to go. I can get the Mishimoto in the UK at a good price.

Will this make the exhaust more raspy? That's my concern. I've read x-pipe are more raspy and I don't want that. Youtube videos seem mixed so hard to tell on peoples recordings.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Mark

wanted33 7/7/18 10:52 AM

Mark, the H-Pipes gives you the deeper tone. Have you thought about just doing resonater delete? You may like the sound enough doing that, and keeping the stock H-Pipe. Many here have done that, and are happy with the sound. That could save you a little money. If it's not enough then you can change to an aftermarket H-Pipe.

Jim

Marco_GT 7/7/18 05:01 PM

Thanks for your reply Jim. No I hadn't thought of doing that. If h-pipe gives a deeper tone that's good with me. It seems most people in the UK are ditching their stock system. Some go from dealer to exhaust fitter. There seems to be a ton of perfectly good systems going to scrap.

Is exhaust modifying as big in the states?

laserred38 7/8/18 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Marco_GT
Is exhaust modifying as big in the states?

:lol: Until 2018 it was almost mandatory to change your exhaust on your Mustang. They've always been too quiet from the factory.

wanted33 7/8/18 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by laserred38 (Post 7032354)
:lol: Until 2018 it was almost mandatory to change your exhaust on your Mustang. They've always been too quiet from the factory.

So true, the brides '18 with active exhaust (I ordered with the exhaust) is the only Mustang we've owned that doesn't require me to buy an aftermarket system.

Mark as laser said, before the 18's buying an aftermarket exhaust was the only way to make a standard Mustang GT sound good. The Borla S-Type systems (that I like) will keep the deep exhaust sound you're looking for. The Corsa (while a great system) has a more raspy sound.

You can hear all of these on You Tube if you want. The sound in person is much better than the videos, but it will give you an idea.

The Stinger has a moderate sound.
https://www.americanmuscle.com/borla...ck-2015gt.html

The Atak is louder.
https://www.americanmuscle.com/borla...ck-2015gt.html

The Ford Performance system is the Borla Stinger that Ford reworked for a bit more sound than the standard Borla Stinger. I had a set of these on my '13 GT, and still have a set on my '06 GT. I like the sound of the FP exhaust.
https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-...me-2015gt.html

woody24 7/8/18 03:18 PM

Well shoot. Guess I need to make a trip to the dealer to hear what the '18 sounds like. Figured the active exhaust was a gimmick unless you had an aftermarket system.

But, at least the previous stock Mustangs sounded better than the stock Camaro. Those things are quiet.

woody24 7/8/18 03:25 PM

Also, I was recently looking up exhaust, and I think if I were to get one, I'd get this system.
https://www.americanmuscle.com/mbrp-...ck-2015gt.html

I hate trying to base my decision on Youtube videos, but I watched and listed to a lot of American Muscle videos, so there's at least a little bit of a baseline to measure it with, and the above system seems to be what I'd want. And it's one of the cheapest options.

Had Cat-back Borla Stingers on my '06. They sounded great, but at $1200+ the MBRP ones are a bit easier to swallow.

wanted33 7/8/18 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by woody24 (Post 7032366)
Well shoot. Guess I need to make a trip to the dealer to hear what the '18 sounds like. Figured the active exhaust was a gimmick unless you had an aftermarket system.

But, at least the previous stock Mustangs sounded better than the stock Camaro. Those things are quiet.

Woody, I took a shot with the system as all I was able to find was You Tube videos. None of the local dealer cars had the active exhaust. I will say it was a dead on bulls eye shot as the system is the bees knees. When I put the car, and the exhaust into sport mode it gives me a tingle in my special place. :hyper: It's that good in my book.

Marco_GT 7/9/18 09:47 AM

Thanks for your replies once again and to Wanted33 for the links. American Muscle do seem to have the best videos. For now, I've ordered the Mishimito H-pipe and see how that goes. The tone of the standard, for me, is good, it just needs more volume which hopefully the h-pipe with do. I can get it fitted for £240 which is around $320.

I'm really surprised Ford kept building exhausts that enthusiasts had to keep on modifying. Maybe they had to pamper to the market who didn't want anything to loud.

I'm popping state side in September and, even though I have a Mustang, still want to hire one over there. Last time I was given the Ecoboost, who wants that on a road trip! It had a problem so swapped it for a GT. :-)

Marco_GT 7/9/18 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by wanted33 (Post 7032370)
Woody, I took a shot with the system as all I was able to find was You Tube videos. None of the local dealer cars had the active exhaust. I will say it was a dead on bulls eye shot as the system is the bees knees. When I put the car, and the exhaust into sport mode it gives me a tingle in my special place. :hyper: It's that good in my book.

Made me smile that comment re the tingle. I know what you mean when an exhaust hits that sweet spot.

laserred38 7/9/18 09:32 PM

Do you do a lot of freeway driving? The MBRPs drone at freeway speeds. I knew guys who ran them. They sounded good at low rpms and WOT though!

wanted33 7/10/18 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by laserred38 (Post 7032422)
Do you do a lot of freeway driving? The MBRPs drone at freeway speeds. I knew guys who ran them. They sounded good at low rpms and WOT though!

Yep, I've heard that about the also. I had a set of Flowmasters that droned, hated them.

laserred38 7/10/18 01:20 PM

Is there any difference in tax if you buy from Canada? I run Solo Performance on my car. Zero drone. Less expensive than some of the more common brands and great sound. Otherwise, I'd probably go Corsa Sports if I had to do it all over again.

SpectreH 7/10/18 01:23 PM

Fear of drone is why I went with the GT500 quad tips. I figured an OEM part was a safe bet from a drone perspective.

Rpinaiii 7/29/18 02:45 PM

@marco_gt did you install the H pipe? I installed one on Saturday on my 2018 GT and I really like the sound, just right for me. Was wondering your thoughts if you installed it.

Marco_GT 7/29/18 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rpinaiii (Post 7033278)
@marco_gt did you install the H pipe? I installed one on Saturday on my 2018 GT and I really like the sound, just right for me. Was wondering your thoughts if you installed it.

Hi, I did, last week. IvI' been intending on writing my thoughts and you've prompted me. It'ss much improved, it sounds more like a muscle car V8. Cold starts are really nice and I have found there is more sound as you come off throttle. No drone either. It's how they should have been stock. I didn't want anything OTT so like yourself, it's just right. Much cheaper than a cat back and UK prices for axle backs alone are £600 plus.
Overall very happy.

Rpinaiii 7/29/18 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Marco_GT (Post 7033285)
Hi, I did, last week. IvI' been intending on writing my thoughts and you've prompted me. It'ss much improved, it sounds more like a muscle car V8. Cold starts are really nice and I have found there is more sound as you come off throttle. No drone either. It's how they should have been stock. I didn't want anything OTT so like yourself, it's just right. Much cheaper than a cat back and UK prices for axle backs alone are £600 plus.
Overall very happy.

The 2018 already sounds really good as is, with the quad tips. The pipe alone woke it up. And yes the cold start is awesome. I installed myself and overall really pleased. I don't need any axle back and all that, this alone was enough.

frank s 7/29/18 10:28 PM

What is it that a conversion from x-pipe to h-pipe actually does to influence exhaust performance and sound? A few years back Mustangs came with h-pipes and everyone converted to x-pipes. i wonder why Ford changed the OEM configurateion.

I had a 2008 GT and a 2009 GT, and according to the style of the day changed the h-pipes on both into x-pipes. I have no science to assert performance gains (or losses), but it seemed to me that in both cases, the exhaust sound was a bit less civilized, more "raspy", if that makes sense.

Has anyone come across careful, controlled comparisons between x-pipes and h-pipes, performance-wise? Otherwise, I'm beginning to think the whole thing is a matter of pipes manufactures encouraging change for change's sake, and not incidentally, the bottom line.

Marco_GT 7/30/18 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by wanted33 (Post 7032370)

Originally Posted by frank s (Post 7033294)
What is it that a conversion from x-pipe to h-pipe actually does to influence exhaust performance and sound? A few years back Mustangs came with h-pipes and everyone converted to x-pipes. i wonder why Ford changed the OEM configurateion.

I had a 2008 GT and a 2009 GT, and according to the style of the day changed the h-pipes on both into x-pipes. I have no science to assert performance gains (or losses), but it seemed to me that in both cases, the exhaust sound was a bit less civilized, more "raspy", if that makes sense.

Has anyone come across careful, controlled comparisons between x-pipes and h-pipes, performance-wise? Otherwise, I'm beginning to think the whole thing is a matter of pipes manufactures encouraging change for change's sake, and not incidentally, the bottom line.

Frank, I did quite a bit of research prior as I had read reviews of x and h pipe and also how axle back perform etc. Keeping it to the x and h pipes, the X pipe gives the car more power top end given it's x configuration, it allows for better scavenging of the gases. They are usually louder than h-pipes but are more raspy. The h-pipe by contrast produces a lower tone more reminiscent of a muscle sound and has better low rpm torque gains. It's personal preference and also depends on what mufflers you using and the sounds you want. I think there were Y pipes in older Mustangs too, typically the V6. The H-pipe is a safer bet for a lower but noticeable increase in volume.

I can't really tell any performance gains but that wasn't my min driver to change, it was purely to open up some sound from the stock system and at a fraction of the price of a cat back and given the prices for the UK, even a muffler. I've seen graphs for gains in torque and BHP for both x and h pipe, 15-20bhp for x pipe, nothing mega. It cost me £250 so about $350 in dollars for the h-pipe fitted.

Rpinaiii 7/30/18 08:33 AM

^^ As far as performance gains between the H and X pipe is really not a major or very significant difference. H Pipe gives a little more power on low end and X Pipe in high end. The main reason I installed was to get a better sound in the exhaust. With either one, the sound will increase in tone and loudness because the resonator gets deleted. That resonator quiets the exhaust system, plus it is heavier than an H or X Pipe. So taking out the resonator and installing the pipe only, adds to sound. The H Pipe is more muscle car old school sound, while the X Pipe is more raspy. This is my first H pipe resonator delete, so granted I am not an expert on the subject matter lol